Dressing better

Prolific Sole wrote:

Picked up a few things today at the mall. J.Crew had a lot of dope sales.

nve3oh.jpg

omg i plan to spend a full 3 hrs in j. crew this weekend i saw sooooo much during the weekend before xmas but wasnt shopping for me

eek.gif
eek.gif

i have a dental school interview coming up next month...any ideas on what to wear?

i was planning on wearing a charcoal grey suit, white shirt, black knit tie (the only thing i don't like about the tie is that it has a yellow goldenfleece--brooks brothers logo--on the bottom center of the tie, but you can not see the logo when my suit is buttoned--i plan on buttoning the second button),black mont blanc pen in my suit pocket (given to me by my father, and i usually carry it to interviews for good luck), black shoes

OR

charcoal grey suit, white shirt, light blue tie (school colors), black shoes

in general, i like brown shoes >>> black shoes, but the black shoes i own are lace up and more formal while both pairs of brown shoes i own arenon-lace up loafers.

any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
waystinthyme

p.s. i have the following suit colors: charcoal grey, navy blue, black, black pinstripe, dark brown pinstripe, tan/khaki.

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

i have a dental school interview coming up next month...any ideas on what to wear?

i was planning on wearing a charcoal grey suit, white shirt, black knit tie (the only thing i don't like about the tie is that it has a yellow golden fleece--brooks brothers logo--on the bottom center of the tie, but you can not see the logo when my suit is buttoned--i plan on buttoning the second button), black mont blanc pen in my suit pocket (given to me by my father, and i usually carry it to interviews for good luck), black shoes

OR

in general, i like brown shoes >>> black shoes, but the black shoes i own are lace up and more formal while both pairs of brown shoes i own are non-lace up loafers.

thanks,
waystinthyme

p.s. i have the following suit colors: charcoal grey, navy blue, black, black pinstripe, dark brown pinstripe, tan/khaki.

I had my dental interviews back in Oct and Nov and from those interviews, if I were you I would go with the Charcoal suit and the light blue tie. It's avery formal thing and a knit tie would be noticed by all the professors and administrators. Good choice of color though, the Charcoal suit will stand out, andthat's a good thing since the administration will have something to remember you on (at both of mine, I was the only one not wearing a black suit).

Originally Posted by sole searchin

i was planning on wearing a charcoal grey suit, white shirt, black knit tie (the only thing i don't like about the tie is that it has a yellow golden fleece--brooks brothers logo--on the bottom center of the tie, but you can not see the logo when my suit is buttoned--i plan on buttoning the second button), black mont blanc pen in my suit pocket (given to me by my father, and i usually carry it to interviews for good luck), black shoes

OR

in general, i like brown shoes >>> black shoes, but the black shoes i own are lace up and more formal while both pairs of brown shoes i own are non-lace up loafers.

thanks,
waystinthyme

I had my dental interviews back in Oct and Nov and from those interviews, if I were you I would go with the Charcoal suit and the light blue tie. It's a very formal thing and a knit tie would be noticed by all the professors and administrators. Good choice of color though, the Charcoal suit will stand out, and that's a good thing since the administration will have something to remember you on (at both of mine, I was the only one not wearing a black suit).

i'd say go with the second option; a knit tie is a bit too casual.

OR

thanks,
waystinthyme

I had my dental interviews back in Oct and Nov and from those interviews, if I were you I would go with the Charcoal suit and the light blue tie. It's a very formal thing and a knit tie would be noticed by all the professors and administrators. Good choice of color though, the Charcoal suit will stand out, and that's a good thing since the administration will have something to remember you on (at both of mine, I was the only one not wearing a black suit).

thanks for the advice (you too seanny). how did your interviews go? did you get in anywhere on 12/1 or are you still waiting to hear from schools? either way,good luck...this is my first interview. i hope we both get in...

yes, this was my exact rationale for choosing the charcoal grey suit over black or black pinstripe...i figured every other guy there will be wearing a blacksuit, white shirt, light blue tie. this is one of the reasons i didn't want to go with the light blue tie in option 2 though, because i think 90% of theother guys who are interviewed will go with school colors.

maybe i should switch it up and wear a blue shirt and red tie instead? i think it'll help me stand out a little more...this is probably my favoritecombination with this suit as well. or should you never wear a blue shirt to an interview? what do ya'll think?

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by CheGTR

Originally Posted by manamazing55

Not trying to be mean, offensive or whatever...BUT im just gonna say it regardless:

So, I KNOW i cant be the only one who thought manamazing55 was black, right??
laugh.gif

...I'm black, if that matters. (lol Grizzly's throwback sig right?) anyways, liking that watch. the brown with the black, i dunno. i did it with a suit but the belt was showing so it was possible (brown leather watch)

Just curious what about my posts made you think I'm black? The vest is navy, the watch,shoes,and belt are brown. What did you think was black? Other than me lol
wink.gif
lol, thought the vest was black, so my bad...I tilted my laptop screen and see the blue now
embarassed.gif

Anyways, I think it was the loafers in general and especially the Stacy Adams/Steve Harvey croc skin ones. In Philly you see them mostly on the darker hued fellas with matching blazers.
Also, 2 friends of mine SWEAR by loafers (mainly ones simliar to the kind you've posted), so I figured it was kinda a black thing.
laugh.gif

hence why my brother used to say, "dont make assumptions, or the 'ump' will 'tion' your @#$."
I thought you were black
laugh.gif

The majority of loafer wearers I've come across are black.

Express has a huge sale online right now (Up to 60% off).
Lots of good stuff, you all should check out.
I don't know if it's only online but I am gonna check it out at my local mall today

Ruehl is going out of business so everything is 50% off.
They have some real nice clothing there, you guys should check that out too.
Online and In-Stores

^^ya I would love to see if the sales are in stores as well. I like to try stuff on before purchasing. Thanks for the heads up though.

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

I don't know if it's only online but I am gonna check it out at my local mall today

Online and In-Stores

they had jeans buy one get one half off in my local mall last weekend...

-waystinthyme

yea, my black brothers have started alot of trends over the years, but Sperrys and loafers are our thing hahahah

laugh.gif
, I'll give yall the Sperrys, but the jurys out on the loafers...
AND forgot to ask, wat was the style name of that Invicta watch you got?

also FYI for people, I'm usually able to stack a J.CREW's student discount on top of whatever the sale is (extra 15% off!)--maybe thats just in thePhilly store, I dunno.
But dont be afraid to ask. I'm a college grad, but I just flash my student ID and they ask for my Temple email
smokin.gif

OR

thanks,
waystinthyme

thanks for the advice (you too seanny). how did your interviews go? did you get in anywhere on 12/1 or are you still waiting to hear from schools? either way, good luck...this is my first interview. i hope we both get in...

yes, this was my exact rationale for choosing the charcoal grey suit over black or black pinstripe...i figured every other guy there will be wearing a black suit, white shirt, light blue tie. this is one of the reasons i didn't want to go with the light blue tie in option 2 though, because i think 90% of the other guys who are interviewed will go with school colors.

maybe i should switch it up and wear a blue shirt and red tie instead? i think it'll help me stand out a little more...this is probably my favorite combination with this suit as well. or should you never wear a blue shirt to an interview? what do ya'll think?

-waystinthyme
Yeah, I actually got in to my #1 choice UTDB (University of Texas- Houston) on Dec. 1st. And yes, I agree, I was going to go with a white shirtwith my suit but did not. I went with a light Blue striped shirt and a navy tie. Wear something you feel comfortable in and that will stand out.

yea, my black brothers have started alot of trends over the years, but Sperrys and loafers are our thing hahahah

laugh.gif
, I'll give yall the Sperrys, but the jurys out on the loafers...
AND forgot to ask, wat was the style name of that Invicta watch you got?

also FYI for people, I'm usually able to stack a J.CREW's student discount on top of whatever the sale is (extra 15% off!)--maybe thats just in the Philly store, I dunno.
But dont be afraid to ask. I'm a college grad, but I just flash my student ID and they ask for my Temple email
smokin.gif
I wish I would have known about that yesterday. Oh well, I'll try next time.

OR

thanks,
waystinthyme

thanks for the advice (you too seanny). how did your interviews go? did you get in anywhere on 12/1 or are you still waiting to hear from schools? either way, good luck...this is my first interview. i hope we both get in...

yes, this was my exact rationale for choosing the charcoal grey suit over black or black pinstripe...i figured every other guy there will be wearing a black suit, white shirt, light blue tie. this is one of the reasons i didn't want to go with the light blue tie in option 2 though, because i think 90% of the other guys who are interviewed will go with school colors.

maybe i should switch it up and wear a blue shirt and red tie instead? i think it'll help me stand out a little more...this is probably my favorite combination with this suit as well. or should you never wear a blue shirt to an interview? what do ya'll think?

-waystinthyme
Yeah, I actually got in to my #1 choice UTDB (University of Texas- Houston) on Dec. 1st. And yes, I agree, I was going to go with a white shirt with my suit but did not. I went with a light Blue striped shirt and a navy tie. Wear something you feel comfortable in and that will stand out.

congrats! my interview is at my #1 choice as well.

-waystinthyme

can anyone point me into the direction of where to find punto pigro boots for men? They are nearly impossible to find..

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

Online and In-Stores

they had jeans buy one get one half off in my local mall last weekend...

-waystinthyme
Jeans aren't on sale anymore
mad.gif

But everyone should go to Express right now!!!
laugh.gif

There are a lot of good things on sale, and a lot of good deals.
I haven't gone to Express in about 1-2 months and everything I saw then were marked down around half off.

Back
Top Bottom