Dressing better

adn39y.jpg

New pickup. Im a fan
happy.gif

Not necessarily. No break simply means there is no stacking left on your pant when worn but without being high waters.
It's hard to explain into words but I think you get what I am saying.
So in general, the pants can still look baggy even without break.
I think what you are looking for is you ask the tailor to taper the bottom/leg opening.

I don't understand, I have never had to get pants tailored? Like, I have never even thought about it either. But sometimes in this thread it seems like a must
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

I don't understand, I have never had to get pants tailored? Like, I have never even thought about it either. But sometimes in this thread it seems like a must
nerd.gif
I think its all personal preference, when I'm dressing up I like my clothes to be fitted.  Pants wise I like no break, makes me look taller, and tapered.

I'm about 5'8 so its hard to find a 28 inseam at the stores

nerd.gif

I wouldn't say it's a must for everything but you do have to remember that clothes are made to fit the majority of people so the sizing somewhat accomodates the general public, or tries to.
With jeans, stacking is acceptable and actually makes the jeans look better so it is acceptable but still in moderation

. However, when you get to chinos or suit pants, most will have to be altered if you want a cleaner look.

For suit pants, the leg opening should come undone from the get-go. With chinos, some offer different inseams and in that case, just try to get the best size that fits you.

Like Levis, they provide options on inseam from 28-34 in most of their pants but the smaller companies usually have a longer than usual inseam so you can get them altered.

Like Marc Jacobs and Paul Smith, their pants inseam are 34"-35" and you would look ridiculous if you stacked chinos and dress pants too much. 

A good exampl is the Raja Bell pic from GQ. Left is unaltered, off the rack suit and the one on the right is altered, off the rack suit.

00007f.jpg
00011f.jpg

Originally Posted by RFX45

nerd.gif

I wouldn't say it's a must for everything but you do have to remember that clothes are made to fit the majority of people so the sizing somewhat accomodates the general public, or tries to.
With jeans, stacking is acceptable and actually makes the jeans look better so it is acceptable but still in moderation

. However, when you get to chinos or suit pants, most will have to be altered if you want a cleaner look.

For suit pants, the leg opening should come undone from the get-go. With chinos, some offer different inseams and in that case, just try to get the best size that fits you.

Like Levis, they provide options on inseam from 28-34 in most of their pants but the smaller companies usually have a longer than usual inseam so you can get them altered.

Like Marc Jacobs and Paul Smith, their pants inseam are 34"-35" and you would look ridiculous if you stacked chinos and dress pants too much. 

A good exampl is the Raja Bell pic from GQ. Left is unaltered, off the rack suit and the one on the right is altered, off the rack suit.

00007f.jpg
00011f.jpg

Yeah that pic is a silly good example. I guess it is just me. Like a few pages back I said I'm 6 foot 195, so I basically feel out everything off the rack (I usually shop at banana and express). So, yeah it would be silly off me to think that that is the case for everyone. Such an informative thread btw

nil thank you for the advice. actually that first look is exactly what I was going for. Where would I go about buying a nice blazer but not too expensive. Say 250 at most? Can someone recommend a nice blazer

Originally Posted by Numberr97

nil thank you for the advice. actually that first look is exactly what I was going for. Where would I go about buying a nice blazer but not too expensive. Say 250 at most? Can someone recommend a nice blazer

If you don't mind cordoruy, JCrew has a nice blue one for $98 (retail $148). Their Ludlow fit is their trimmer fit.
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Men...vests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~20782/20782.jsp

erez

For $50 more, you could get the Legacy blazer, also in Ludlow fit for $295.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Men...vests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~21509/21509.jsp

erez

Noob question: If I'm looking to get a standard pair of gray slacks to build the wardrobe, are they supposed to have a crease, particularly if I want my look to be more casual? Is there a difference between "slacks" with or without a crease, or does that difference not even exist?

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Noob question: If I'm looking to get a standard pair of gray slacks to build the wardrobe, are they supposed to have a crease, particularly if I want my look to be more casual? Is there a difference between "slacks" with or without a crease, or does that difference not even exist?

Are you talking about pleated slacks? I was always under the impression that pleated = formal, but i've seen some pleats pulled off in a casual manner.

Sole searchin,

www.thetiebar.com has a selection at $15. Plain and simple.

question: do you guys really pay more than $50 for a tie? i understand really liking a pattern/color, but why when you can find there's such a huge selection of them at TJ maxx/Marshalls for <$15

I actually have that cordouroy blazer up there from J. Crew in a different color. I love it

and for tie clips, check Macy's as well they have some relatively inexpensive ones there
and for ties, you definitely CAN find some nice bargain ties at TJ/Marshalls o_O

Back
Top Bottom