Dressing better

Originally Posted by SShanique

Can girls participate in this thread, or is it only for guys?
dont sully the thread with  your trollish activities
tired.gif

Originally Posted by SShanique

Can girls participate in this thread, or is it only for guys?
I post in this thread here and there, but mainly on the guys' stuff - I'm into menswear.  Never thought about getting personal advice here.

Anyone can certainly post here, we try to critic and not to be too harsh (at least i do) so anyone who wants to post pics or ask for advice are welcome.
When it comes to womens wear, some of us will try and critique but do not take it to the heart as some of us won't be as knowledgeable.

Im supposed to go to NYC this weekend! haha i have a red eye flight tomorrow night. It says its supposed to be 'partly cloudy' thursday afternoon - sunday or am i wrong?

I definitely need some feedback as to what i should bring, what kind of jackets (prob gona scoop up some North Faces today, what are some good ones for optimal warmth?) Im coming in from Southern Cali so this should be a 180 degree turn in the weather for me. Hopefully/should be a great experience. I went to NY a few times last year but definitely not directly after a Blizzard warning
laugh.gif

I need help NT!

This was my post from the other thread about the East Coast snowfall.. got ZERO responses so i thought this thread would be the better suited seeing as a lot of y'all have some
pimp.gif
style.

Im from Orange County Cali and am definitely in need of some help with my flight leaving tomorrow night. Was just looking for some input on a nice jacket (which Northface??) some nice looking shoes for the snow out there, and whatever other little necessities. Again, im not used to this, im staring out my window seeing nothing but blue sky (
pimp.gif
) and I am pretty sure it wont be what i see this weekend. I am trying to get this stuff by tomorrow so any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT-- im sure my answer lies somewhere in this thread, but going through 605 pages would be pretty tideous right now

Originally Posted by Drizzyd

Im supposed to go to NYC this weekend! haha i have a red eye flight tomorrow night. It says its supposed to be 'partly cloudy' thursday afternoon - sunday or am i wrong?

I definitely need some feedback as to what i should bring, what kind of jackets (prob gona scoop up some North Faces today, what are some good ones for optimal warmth?) Im coming in from Southern Cali so this should be a 180 degree turn in the weather for me. Hopefully/should be a great experience. I went to NY a few times last year but definitely not directly after a Blizzard warning
laugh.gif

I need help NT!

This was my post from the other thread about the East Coast snowfall.. got ZERO responses so i thought this thread would be the better suited seeing as a lot of y'all have some
pimp.gif
style.

Im from Orange County Cali and am definitely in need of some help with my flight leaving tomorrow night. Was just looking for some input on a nice jacket (which Northface??) some nice looking shoes for the snow out there, and whatever other little necessities. Again, im not used to this, im staring out my window seeing nothing but blue sky (
pimp.gif
) and I am pretty sure it wont be what i see this weekend. I am trying to get this stuff by tomorrow so any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT-- im sure my answer lies somewhere in this thread, but going through 605 pages would be pretty tideous right now

At such a short period of time, I say go to Nordstrom Rack or Macys and look for any boots with rubber sole you could find (Red Wing, Cole Haan, Johnston & MurphY, etc..), no suede though. They should have a good selection of winter coats too. It won't be easy to suggest something in such a short notice so I would go with those. I would also suggest getting a scarf and a pair gloves. 

I'd love for some women to post here, lol. I keep dating these females that put on a good show for 2 or 3 dates, then their outfits go to %%!!@ as soon as they get comfortable. Not really related to your inquiry, but just saying
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by biff lawson

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

All these for < $60.. gap.com
pimp.gif
Don't know if the cardigan is really my steez, but for 12 bucks ill make it work..

gp648782-00p01v01.jpg

guy made the same pickups as me
pimp.gif
i'm hoping that  cardigan will do me some good just copped out of boredom
def not satisfied with this cardigan its mad short on me i needed a tall or something

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

All these for < $60.. gap.com
pimp.gif
Don't know if the cardigan is really my steez, but for 12 bucks ill make it work..

guy made the same pickups as me
pimp.gif
i'm hoping that  cardigan will do me some good just copped out of boredom
def not satisfied with this cardigan its mad short on me i needed a tall or something
it's not made for 6'6" cats, Rudolph

to the regular suit-wearERS here:

Do European designer suits typically fit small and slimmer compared to American fitting?

Just a curious question here. Thank you.

Via GQ: 
[h1]How to Wear a Flannel Suit[/h1][h2]For the bitterest stretch of winter, get a suit that can handle the weather[/h2]
flannel-suit-intro.jpg

GQ Creative Director Jim Moore: "Even though I'm in the business, I tend to have a simple uniform. I get nervous when I have too many clothes in my closet. But I felt like it was finally time for me to get a flannel suit. During the winter here in New York my 10-month suits feel like tissue paper. Put on flannel and the cold will not penetrate. Plus, when it thaws out a bit, the flannel will keep you warm enough that you can just throw a scarf around your neck and you're good to go."

Suit by Neil Barrett, tie by Ben Sherman, shirt by Ralph Lauren.

flannel-suit-band-of-outsiders.jpg

Scott Sternberg, designer, Band of Outsiders: "With a flannel suit there's a sense of ruggedness, durability. I just think suits look better when they're cut in heavier, heftier materials. Down to the stitching, everything is exaggerated, and it just looks better. It's still refined, it's sophisticated, but it's not your regular business suit anymore."
 A look from Band of Outsiders' Fall 2009 collection.

flannel-suit-two-season.jpg

A Two-Season Suit

As a general rule of thumb, break out the heavier suits in November and put them away April 1st. Flannel's meant to keep you warm, not make you sweat.

flannel-suit-full-steam.jpg
flannel-suit-leave-mark.jpg
flannel-suit-cleaners.jpg

Full Steam

Flannel, like denim, tends to adhere to your shape more than ten-month suits (as Jim Moore says, "the knees may start to get a little knees-y") so you're going to want to steam it after every three or four wears. Think of flannel like your skin: a little time in the steam room and you bounce and vigor back. If your dry cleaner doesn't do steaming, hanging it in the shower will do the same thing.

Don't Leave a Mark

Unless you want to walk around with a permanent line across your pants, do not put flannel through the trouser bar of your hanger, or really any place else that will leave a print. Which means it's not the best travel companion either if you're the kind of guy who smashes his suits in a bag. Barring a trip to London, leave it home.

Handle With Care

"If you spill, blot don't rub. Then bring straight to a trusted dry cleaner." That's Jerry Pozniak of Jeeves New York where the GQ fashion team takes its dry cleaning. As he explains it, rubbing disturbs the nap and may leave the spot permanently fuzzy. In other words, it's a quick way to make a stain worse.

Extra Clean

Speaking of which, because flannel absorbs odors more easily than other fabrics, it's a suit you may want to take to the dry cleaner more than once a season. Unless you're going for Guy in the Smokey Suit thing, in which case—gross. And you definitely want to get it cleaned before you put it back in your closet at the end of the season. If you clean it properly you won't have to worry about moths.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

to the regular suit-wearERS here:

Do European designer suits typically fit small and slimmer compared to American fitting?

Just a curious question here. Thank you.

Typically, yes. European or Italian suits are slimmer and more fit than American suits. 
Originally Posted by Juve9ile18

How much do you generally spend on a suit? What's a good price range?
I think that will depend on what your budget is and what you will need the suit for.

For instance, if you wore a suit everyday you could get a variety of mid-range suits so you can rotate them everyday so that the suits lasts.

If you only need one suit for an occassions such as wedding or job interview, you can either get one really nice and expensive suit or get a cheap suit from H&M.

Both should last a while with minimal wear

What do you guys consider to be the best colour for a suit? I want one that is versatile.. I have never owned a suit before and am getting to a stage where I need one for interviews etc. (i'm in college)

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

What do you guys consider to be the best colour for a suit? I want one that is versatile.. I have never owned a suit before and am getting to a stage where I need one for interviews etc. (i'm in college)

Navy or charcoal gray

Thanks. Now I need to find somewhere that sells good suits in London for an affordable price... Savile Row is out of the question
laugh.gif

London is the mecca of fashion and I am pretty sure you will find a good suit there for a good price.
There are only a handful of NTers that reside or been to London that could help you out but Styleforum.net will give you tons of help.
Check out the Mens Clothing forum and ask the question there and you will get plenty of suggestions.

Originally Posted by Drizzyd

laugh.gif

I need help NT!

pimp.gif
style.

pimp.gif

You don't need a North Face, by the time you get here it wont be snowing and it wont be cold. Get a coat, with comfortable pocket positioning for your hands. You'll need a scarf, gloves and boots. The boots don't need to be high just warm, since you'll be walking through snow and slush your whole stay. Have a nice trip.

Back
Top Bottom