Dressing better

Originally Posted by MuslimShady

Thanks for the comments everyone, even the Mr. Rogers one which I found pretty funny. Looks like Nii is following suit and getting his Mr. Rogers on. I propose this is Mr. Roger's Tribute Week.

Nii cardigan looks nothing like Mr. Rogers, sir.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

i feel like rfx with the fit from tonight
laugh.gif

4501526265_06bd58d2d3_o.jpg
My suggestion is to not wear that tie with that shirt. A knitted tie is busy by itself ... so stay away from colored shirts while wearing one, especially a shirt that is in the same color family as the dominant colors in the tie. My recommendation for this fit would have been to swap it with a light blue shirt ... it would have been a more harmonious fit.

Which serves as an intro to my next post ...

Originally Posted by RFX45

Tonight...

RFX - i know a few people have pointed this out. Matter of fact, i have pointed it out too a few 100 pages back, but a few RFX fan boys came out and drowned the "useful" advice with useless banter.

Ok - so here goes ... you have an opportunity to make your fits more harmonious. You have all the elements any man can need in their wardrobe ... but you can do a far better job putting them together.

Today for example - in between teh shoes, shirt and knit tie the fit just becomes disjointed. Each element is great, but all put together, it just doesnt work. The tie goes well with the pants, the shirt goes well witht he pants, the shoes goes well with the pants, but they all dont go together. I encourage you to try simplicity with your fits, balance and color coordination. For example, when the upper part of your fit is darker tones, you should probably go with a darker shoe to balance it out.

Also, understand how patterns match and clash. Horizontal stripes, dont go with plaid, especially when the color feels matchy-matchy. Finally, it will help to match your belts to your clothes, since they "cut your body in half" if/when they do not tie into the overall color scheme. In conclusion, i think today's fit would have been stellar if you went with the shirt, pants, shoes ... and a solid tie + different belt. Or keep the tie, but go with a light blue or white shirt.  

I hope you will not try and "justify" it as usual, but take this advice to heart and lift your fits to the next level. You can do it.

**preps for fan boy comments about me pulling RFX down**

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Ok - so here goes ... you have an opportunity to make your fits more harmonious. You have all the elements any man can need in their wardrobe ... but you can do a far better job putting them together.

Today for example - in between teh shoes, shirt and knit tie the fit just becomes disjointed. Each element is great, but all put together, it just doesnt work. The tie goes well with the pants, the shirt goes well witht he pants, the shoes goes well with the pants, but they all dont go together. I encourage you to try simplicity with your fits, balance and color coordination. For example, when the upper part of your fit is darker tones, you should probably go with a darker shoe to balance it out.

Also, understand how patterns match and clash. Horizontal stripes, dont go with plaid, especially when the color feels matchy-matchy. Finally, it will help to match your belts to your clothes, since they "cut your body in half" if/when they do not tie into the overall color scheme. In conclusion, i think today's fit would have been stellar if you went with the shirt, pants, shoes ... and a solid tie + different belt. Or keep the tie, but go with a light blue or white shirt.  

I hope you will not try and "justify" it as usual, but take this advice to heart and lift your fits to the next level. You can do it.

hmm, interesting...i understand the advice for him to wear darker shoes, probably brown imo...but should he then match the shoes to the belt?  wondering your suggestions on that...

and imo, the right combo of mixing patterns can look really sharp.

Tonight...

RFX - i know a few people have pointed this out. Matter of fact, i have pointed it out too a few 100 pages back, but a few RFX fan boys came out and drowned the "useful" advice with useless banter.

Appreciate the advice, we are all continually evolving so I can take the criticism. I doubt you will see "RFX fan boys" but instead open the flood gates for the opposite. 
laugh.gif

A quick question though, I kind of do not understand the comment: "For example, when the upper part of your fit is darker tones, you should probably go with a darker shoe to balance it out."

The upper part of my fit is pretty light colored, so by your example didn't I do the right thing by matchign it a lighter pair of shoe? I mean I have considered a brown pair of shoes but majority of my shoes are already dark brown. I do have a beige suede boots, but I felt that with the lighter shirt the lighter grey bucks would work better. Just a bit confused there.

I agree with the belt, I could have worn my grey belt (I forgot 
embarassed.gif
), and the tie/shirt mixing patterns, I just kind of dig it. I really do not have any defense for that. 
laugh.gif

I think that brown dude's outfit a couple of pages back with the ugly %!+ cardigan down to his knees was absolutely brutal, but I don't see how saying someone is dressing like Mr. Rogers is an insult.

ok since Nii brought up clashing tie-shirt combos, what are the general rules for pattern matching ties w/ shirts?

Tonight...

Appreciate the advice, we are all continually evolving so I can take the criticism. I doubt you will see "RFX fan boys" but instead open the flood gates for the opposite. 
laugh.gif

A quick question though, I kind of do not understand the comment: "For example, when the upper part of your fit is darker tones, you should probably go with a darker shoe to balance it out."

The upper part of my fit is pretty light colored, so by your example didn't I do the right thing by matchign it a lighter pair of shoe? I mean I have considered a brown pair of shoes but majority of my shoes are already dark brown. I do have a beige suede boots, but I felt that with the lighter shirt the lighter grey bucks would work better. Just a bit confused there.

embarassed.gif
), and the tie/shirt mixing patterns, I just kind of dig it. I really do not have any defense for that. 
laugh.gif

I think specific to today's fit, i indicated the shoes were fine. The grey bucks work well with the shirt. There are fits in the past were the shoes have been off from the entire outfit both in color and fit balace. For example with slimmer pants, i feel some of the boots are too out there. I feel lazy going back to pull pics, but i think you get the idea. Next time you do it, i'll point it out (hopefully it will be never)

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

hmm, interesting...i understand the advice for him to wear darker shoes, probably brown imo...but should he then match the shoes to the belt?  wondering your suggestions on that...

and imo, the right combo of mixing patterns can look really sharp.

typically you want to match your shoes and belt as much as possible to maintain harmony.

and yes - i agree mixing of patterns can/do usuallt look sharp - but when you do it wrong it looks very bad ... you have to nail it.

Just a heads up, you can go to a local BR and get a 40% off one retail item coupon now. There are two dates for which the coupons are for, both are Saturdays...the last Saturday of this month and the first of next month.

Originally Posted by yancancook90

ok since Nii brought up clashing tie-shirt combos, what are the general rules for pattern matching ties w/ shirts?

1. with plain shirts all you have to worry about is the color of the tie with respect to the shirt. easiest to do.
2. for stripes/checks etc - the easiest combo is solid colors, again as long as you nail the color combo between the shirt and tie
3. now when you get into pattern on pattern matching - this is where it gets interesting ... the biggest rule is to use two different scales for matching. so if you go with a smaller scaled check/stripe shirt, you want to go with larger scaled ties and vice versa.

A quick google search brought up this link which goes into more detail: http://www.necktieaficionado.com/How-To-Match.html. There are a bunch of other sites out there too dedicated to this. After a while it will become second nature to you.

Also i recommend browsin TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, Turnbull & Asser and other Jermyn Street websites. The do a good job of matching.

i dont think tailoring shirts is for me. im skinny but my lower body is wider and more muscular than my upper body, so when i take in the width of the shirts it just looks really disproportionate. guess i have to avoid it until i gain more weight

Tonight...

laugh.gif

embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

I think specific to today's fit, i indicated the shoes were fine. The grey bucks work well with the shirt. There are fits in the past were the shoes have been off from the entire outfit both in color and fit balace. For example with slimmer pants, i feel some of the boots are too out there. I feel lazy going back to pull pics, but i think you get the idea. Next time you do it, i'll point it out (hopefully it will be never)

Ahh, ok. I think I just misread when you lists what went together and then said they didn't go well together. 
embarassed.gif

Although I think there are instances when a dark shoe goes well with a light shirt, no? I mean I rarely see people wear dark shirts and I often see a white or light blue shirt go well with a dark brown shoe. I think my way of thinking is this way because that is the typical look for a more streetwear style, a light shirt and dark shoes and usually no jacket or there isn't another layer like a sweater that would add color to darken the upper part of the fit. Does that make sense? 

^^yes ... that is because light to dark from top to bottom is harmonious.

think of it this way:

1. light, dark, darkest = harmonious because it flows from top top bottom
2. dark, light, dark = harmonious .. the dark shoes brings everything together
3. light, dark, light = harmonious ... same reason as 2 etc

Just check the GQ pics, SF etc etc ... and look at the stuff that looks really good. You will always notice a sense of harmony and balance.

Originally Posted by MuslimShady

RFX, I actually liked your outfit, but I thought the tie made it look a little funny.

Thanks. I think I will mainly wear that tie with a solid and neutral colored shirt from now on, it seems to get hated everytime I post it. 
laugh.gif

I know, mostly my fault though. 

I think Nii made a great point when he said that all the pieces work in some way or another but not together. BTW RFX, did you get that tie and the blue tie you wore on Easter from Macy's? I made a post about how they have $10 knit ties on sale but it never showed up.

I got mine from the JCrew outlet store. I did see the ones on sale from Macys, I got two Alfanis a couple of months ago but they jacked up the price.
Each was $20-$25 and then all of a sudden it became $45 each and they did the bogo discount.

Back
Top Bottom