Dressing better

? any stores in NY that carry cheap ties... I really low on cash rite now but have a interview monday so im tryin to not spend 20-30 dollars just for a tie.

Originally Posted by tyisny

? any stores in NY that carry cheap ties... I really low on cash rite now but have a interview monday so im tryin to not spend 20-30 dollars just for a tie.
two words....thrift store.

Century 21 by Ground Zero, abundance of good ties for $10, I saw some Izods that had Vineyard Vines-esque patterns, recommended.

niidawg - where did you get that purple gingham shirt?

and where can i get any good gingham shirts without the collar buttons?
i was able to find a really nice ralph lauren regent cut one at the outlet but thats the only one they had.
any help would be appreciated.

best thing about gingham is you can dress it up or you can dress it down.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Originally Posted by tyisny

two words....thrift store.
this is probably your best bet if you're looking for a tie with a little spice to it...but since it's for an interview and simple is usually better...

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

TJ'S
marshall's

both have nice ties for like 10 bucks
go this route...$9.99 can get you a nice striped tie.  Helk, I saw a Brooks Brothers silk tie today at Maxx for $5.

I have gingham shirts from Polo, Club Monaco, Banana Republic and Zara. None have "color buttons" but I'm guessing you mean a button-down collar? None of them have those either.

Originally Posted by rhester

10wl7k7.jpg

http://bit.ly/cOZEaz
and i'm not really a fan of these shoes in particular, but for some reason i'm craving a pair of shoes in this color.

Anyone else experienced a 'growth', for a lack of better word, through out the thread? When I first started posting here...I wanted to wear a tie everyday. But now it's due to my mood and/or occasion. Half of the time, I just throw on whatever idea I cooked up in my head to experience.

Also IMO speaking as a whole...in term of fashion....Americans are still way behind everyone else.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

Also IMO speaking as a whole...in term of fashion....Americans are still way behind everyone else.
laugh.gif
oh sheesh, this is definitely true imo as well...especially when i'm just browsing lookbook...both guys and girls dress more classy outside of America.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

I don't know anyone that wants to wear a tie everyday.
Like I've been saying throughout the thread...there are those who wants to dress like this and those who are forced to due to dress code.

My step dad for example...he's making a grip of money and it's been years since he's worn a suit, let alone a tie.  His office code is business casual and dude still goes up to work in a pair of jeans and dress shirt that's untucked. 
laugh.gif

I also have friends who drive $100k+ cars who make a lot of money and dress up because they have to.  They don't pay attention to the finer details like blazer sleeves being slightly too long, too much break on the pants, etc.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif
oh sheesh, this is definitely true imo as well...especially when i'm just browsing lookbook...both guys and girls dress more classy outside of America.
I also think it has to do with the figure.  Europeans and Asians are usually more slim than Americans (which 2 out of 3 are overweight) so they get away with a lot more.  When I hit up places like Little Tokyo, man their style is on another level.  And also on Easter Sunday I was studying at Starbucks and a group of Koreans came in, I guess after the church session...joint was like a D&G fashion show. 
laugh.gif

Got my Richard Chai blazer from Gilt.
9rj59t.jpg

I like it but I probably won't keep it because I found a hole on the sleeve.
rw0y69.jpg

mbigi0.jpg

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif
I also think it has to do with the figure.  Europeans and Asians are usually more slim than Americans (which 2 out of 3 are overweight) so they get away with a lot more.  When I hit up places like Little Tokyo, man their style is on another level.  And also on Easter Sunday I was studying at Starbucks and a group of Koreans came in, I guess after the church session...joint was like a D&G fashion show. 
laugh.gif

I think it has more to do with comfort zones/not wanting to take a "fashion chance"...

Originally Posted by play2much2004

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I think it has more to do with comfort zones/not wanting to take a "fashion chance"...
Also true.  Not too many guys will be too comfortable to go outside of the 'jeans and sweater' area.  A lot are also self conscious on what others will think. 

As cliche as this sound, I think it's true...aside from the clothes, confidence is the most important thing you can wear.

I get the stigma that a lot of people are mistaking the message of thisthread "Dressing Better" as "Dressing Older". Based on the pictures itlooks as if the majority are uncomfortable in what they are wearing.Sure there are a ton of rules for dressing more formally as opposed todressing urban but it seems as if people are loosing their sense ofstyle.

List so far of those that are doing it correct:

Russ tha G - Has a ton of personal flare to his outfits the average person would never think of and makes them work.
RFX - Not a big fan of all the boots but has a way of properly correlating his outfits.
Nil - How can you hate on his style, he keeps it traditional yet his outfits are so unlike any others.
Black dude with the blog (ty i think?) - Very good at rocking a mature urban fit.
Grimm - Think he only has a couple of pics put looks as if what he has on is perfectly catered to his style. The most "ideal" dressing better style.

Originally Posted by wj4

Like I've been saying throughout the thread...there are those who wants to dress like this and those who are forced to due to dress code.

My step dad for example...he's making a grip of money and it's been years since he's worn a suit, let alone a tie.  His office code is business casual and dude still goes up to work in a pair of jeans and dress shirt that's untucked. 
laugh.gif

I also have friends who drive $100k+ cars who make a lot of money and dress up because they have to.  They don't pay attention to the finer details like blazer sleeves being slightly too long, too much break on the pants, etc.
What are you blabbering about?  I don't see what point you're trying to make here.

You said when you wanted to start dressing better, you wanted to wear a tie everyday. 

I don't know anyone who wants to wear a tie everyday, whether it be for work or fashion.

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif

What are you blabbering about?  I don't see what point you're trying to make here.

You said when you wanted to start dressing better, you wanted to wear a tie everyday. 

I don't know anyone who wants to wear a tie everyday, whether it be for work or fashion.
Are you mad because the Lakers lost tonight?  This is a messageboard..you know for discussion and debate.  I was just discussing and debating..

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif

Are you mad because the Lakers lost tonight?  This is a messageboard..you know for discussion and debate.  I was just discussing and debating..
Are you and I not having a discussion?

Originally Posted by wj4

Anyone else experienced a 'growth', for a lack of better word, through out the thread? When I first started posting here...I wanted to wear a tie everyday. But now it's due to my mood and/or occasion. Half of the time, I just throw on whatever idea I cooked up in my head to experience.

laugh.gif
No offense, but your "growth" makes you sound like a fashion snob.

Everyone group has their bad and tacky dressers.

I am really not trying to knock you, but I think your comments are way off base.

From your comments you make it seem as if you don't have a slim figure, you can't pull off a solid fit.

I can't and never will pull off 511's, one reason being that my legs especially my thighs and caves are too big.  Another reason, they are just too tight.  MuslimShady has some nice fits, I just think his pants are way too tight.  In fact, the only place that I see 511's get pushed is this thread.  All my friends are athletes or former athletes, no slim dudes.  They roll with True Religions, since they get them for a deep discount.  I roll with Levi's (559/569), which are tailored (hemmed).

Look at Nii, he seems like a full figured fella and he pulls off a lot of nice outfits.  At my best I look as fit as the dude that posted his outfits he wore in Vegas, at worst which is right now (pudgy
laugh.gif
) I look like Niidawg (no offense
laugh.gif
).

I stay in Alhambra and Monterey Park, it's Asian heavy, and I'm in the opposite end of the spectrum.  These Asian cats are tackier than a ##%+@%*%!%+$. 

I'm curious as to who you think America is behind.  Europe, yeah, I will give you that.  Fashion capital of the world, on top of fashion snobbery that's on another level.

I dress up when I go out and when I go to work (shirt+tie is part of the dress code), but don't knock me for rocking some Jordan shorts, fresh kicks and a tshirt to go buy groceries.

I will dress up to work and play, but I'm not wearing a blazer or cardigan to shop at Ralph's.

RFX45- I dig the Blazer and shirt combo, I wouldn't be worried about the hole in the sleeve.  Chances are the only one that will notice it will be you, try to take it to a tailor, see if it can be fixed.  It's nice.  Lose the pants, they match the emoticon
sick.gif

The Fresh Sole - Very Vanilla.  Seems like something is missing to make it pop, but it's a safe outfit.

ooIRON MANoo wrote:

I can't and never will pull off 511's, one reason being that my legs especially my thighs and caves are too big.  Another reason, they are just too tight.  MuslimShady has some nice fits, I just think his pants are way too tight.  In fact, the only place that I see 511's get pushed is this thread.  All my friends are athletes or former athletes, no slim dudes.  They roll with True Religions, since they get them for a deep discount.  

I dress up when I go out and when I go to work (shirt+tie is part of the dress code), but don't knock me for rocking some Jordan shorts, fresh kicks and a tshirt to go buy groceries.

I will dress up to work and play, but I'm not wearing a blazer or cardigan to shop at Ralph's.

The Fresh Sole - Very Vanilla.  Seems like something is missing to make it pop, but it's a safe outfit.

laugh.gif
 Cosign all the bolded, in the same boat

Yeah it was a very safe/simple fit, thanks tho

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif
No offense, but your "growth" makes you sound like a fashion snob.

Everyone group has their bad and tacky dressers.

I am really not trying to knock you, but I think your comments are way off base.

From your comments you make it seem as if you don't have a slim figure, you can't pull off a solid fit.

I can't and never will pull off 511's, one reason being that my legs especially my thighs and caves are too big.  Another reason, they are just too tight.  MuslimShady has some nice fits, I just think his pants are way too tight.  In fact, the only place that I see 511's get pushed is this thread.  All my friends are athletes or former athletes, no slim dudes.  They roll with True Religions, since they get them for a deep discount.  I roll with Levi's (559/569), which are tailored (hemmed).

Look at Nii, he seems like a full figured fella and he pulls off a lot of nice outfits.  At my best I look as fit as the dude that posted his outfits he wore in Vegas, at worst which is right now (pudgy
laugh.gif
) I look like Niidawg (no offense
laugh.gif
).

I stay in Alhambra and Monterey Park, it's Asian heavy, and I'm in the opposite end of the spectrum.  These Asian cats are tackier than a ##%+@%*%!%+$. 

I'm curious as to who you think America is behind.  Europe, yeah, I will give you that.  Fashion capital of the world, on top of fashion snobbery that's on another level.

RFX45- I dig the Blazer and shirt combo, I wouldn't be worried about the hole in the sleeve.  Chances are the only one that will notice it will be you, try to take it to a tailor, see if it can be fixed.  It's nice.  Lose the pants, they match the emoticon
sick.gif

wj4 tries too hard.

all his pics seem so forced.  dude thinks cause he got some money and his alters his clothes he's on top of this fashion stuff.  (his clothes still look too big on him
laugh.gif
)

dude is a trendwhore.  with the baggy clothes and jordans in HS, to the "wearing a tie everyday cause it will make me look for fashionable and mature", to the "I can't wear pants without rolling them up"
roll.gif
, to the shawl collar sweater (with utility pockets and epaulets? the hell?  a shawl is supposed to be elegant) he copped at BR (yeah I remember
laugh.gif
), to the boston fitted that he didn't even know was boston (
smh.gif
why the hell would you buy it then?}, and now his snobbiness.  you're not doing it wj4.

His pictures also lack the confidence that he speaks of.

check out pics in his blog in his sig. 
roll.gif

you can actually see the trend timeline in his pics.

Back
Top Bottom