Dressing better

i think the people arguing in here are really kinda missing the picture though...

fashion is extremely personal. i think this thread has evolved into a place to get ideas from others on possible outfits, get advice, etc.

i don't see a problem with criticizing any one outfit, helk it's a good thing, but to bash another person's style...naw, you can't really do that...to say someone isn't "doing it right" is outrageous, fashion isn't black and white like that.

and btw, primetime, info on that cardigan?  looks nice.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by wj4

I don't know anyone that wants to wear a tie everyday.
Like I've been saying throughout the thread...there are those who wants to dress like this and those who are forced to due to dress code.

My step dad for example...he's making a grip of money and it's been years since he's worn a suit, let alone a tie.  His office code is business casual and dude still goes up to work in a pair of jeans and dress shirt that's untucked. 
laugh.gif

I also have friends who drive $100k+ cars who make a lot of money and dress up because they have to.  They don't pay attention to the finer details like blazer sleeves being slightly too long, too much break on the pants, etc.
What are you blabbering about?  I don't see what point you're trying to make here.

You said when you wanted to start dressing better, you wanted to wear a tie everyday. 

I don't know anyone who wants to wear a tie everyday, whether it be for work or fashion.
Are you mad because the Lakers lost tonight?  This is a messageboard..you know for discussion and debate.  I was just discussing and debating..
Are you and I not having a discussion?
Yes, we are, but me spidey sense detects some anger or irritation in your post.  If I'm wrong, then my mistake. 

This is what is currently entertaining me in between my online research project. 
laugh.gif

Iron Man - you live in FOB central though, my man. 
laugh.gif
  Every time I roll through to Montery Park to go grab Ren Ten (or is it Ten Ren), I always see out there dudes, Super Saiyan cats with jean jacket cut offs. 
laugh.gif

I'm far from a fashion snob, I just wear what I like.  I was just expressing the transition I went through...from wanting to wear a dress shirt with a tie and slacks every day to what I wear now.  Hell, I think dudes called me gay in this thread like 2-3 times now?

And I still do what you do, bro.....when I go to Ralphs or whatever, I'm in a white t shirt, basketball shorts and sandals.  I'm too lazy to even put my contacts on if I'm not going to be out for at least 5-6 hours. 
laugh.gif

And about the slim figure thing...like you stated, Nii does a great job of dressing himself up.  But if you're a big dude and try to shop at a store like H&M...it's usually no bueno.  (Speaking from previous experience).

My view is obviously completely my opinion and it's based on what I see in real life and in international fashion magazines.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

i think the people arguing in here are really kinda missing the picture though...

fashion is extremely personal. i think this thread has evolved into a place to get ideas from others on possible outfits, get advice, etc.

i don't see a problem with criticizing any one outfit, helk it's a good thing, but to bash another person's style...naw, you can't really do that...fashion isn't black and white like that.

So I can't bash on gucci mane's style? forreal?

or these dudes/dudettes?

I can't hate on their style? 

We ain't even hating on wj4's style.  It's his elitist attitude and artifically inflated "fashion sense". 

or these dudes/dudettes?
some people find it ok to knock other people's style, but i would NEVER bash another person's style no matter if i would ever wear it or not...it's what makes each person unique...if they like the style, what's the issue ya know?

Originally Posted by ddot7

I have gingham shirts from Polo, Club Monaco, Banana Republic and Zara. None have "color buttons" but I'm guessing you mean a button-down collar? None of them have those either.

haha, thanks man.
it was a real long day.

laugh.gif
This thread is getting more fun.  People are writing things that some of us probably wanted to write.  I don't like the word "fashion".  It's just a weird term to use for everyday wear.  Style is probably more appropriate.  Like some others have said, dress better not older.  Sometimes when you post fits, you guys look uncomfortable and it probably doesn't reflect your personal style.  Try not to copy the people in catalogues too much (i'm guilty of this too).

you're not doing it wj4.

I don't really care if you think I'm doing it or not, man.  I just wear what I like. 
smile.gif

My elitist attitude?  I was trying to engage in a discussion last night.  I've been around since the start of this thread and tried to help out folks by posting up discount codes and sales info as much as I can.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by play2much2004

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by wj4

Also IMO speaking as a whole...in term of fashion....Americans are still way behind everyone else.
laugh.gif
oh sheesh, this is definitely true imo as well...especially when i'm just browsing lookbook...both guys and girls dress more classy outside of America.
I also think it has to do with the figure.  Europeans and Asians are usually more slim than Americans (which 2 out of 3 are overweight) so they get away with a lot more.  When I hit up places like Little Tokyo, man their style is on another level.  And also on Easter Sunday I was studying at Starbucks and a group of Koreans came in, I guess after the church session...joint was like a D&G fashion show. 
laugh.gif

I think it has more to do with comfort zones/not wanting to take a "fashion chance"...
Also true.  Not too many guys will be too comfortable to go outside of the 'jeans and sweater' area.  A lot are also self conscious on what others will think. 

As cliche as this sound, I think it's true...aside from the clothes, confidence is the most important thing you can wear.

Wait a second.  I need to make sure im reading this right.

Are you saying that people are self-conscious of what other people think so they wear jeans and a sweater?

^Durden, I think to an extend..yes. I think I may have worded it a bit weird due to multi-tasking last night. IE: Some of my car friends just stick to hoody/sweater and jeans because it's amongst 'the norm'. Some of them said they would like to try out, say a cardigan, but don't wanna get clowned by their friends as to wearing a 'grandpa' sweater.
laugh.gif
Again I was just trying to engage in a debate.

i don't see a problem with criticizing any one outfit, helk it's a good thing, but to bash another person's style...naw, you can't really do that...to say someone isn't "doing it right" is outrageous, fashion isn't black and white like that.

got it from forever 21

or these dudes/dudettes?
some people find it ok to knock other people's style, but i would NEVER bash another person's style no matter if i would ever wear it or not...it's what makes each person unique...if they like the style, what's the issue ya know?

AGREED. just wear what you feel comfortable in because I rather do that and wear something I feel awkward in, that would just me feel self conscious and I'm not.

I rock sweat pants and t shirts and hoodies throughout winter and I wear cargo shorts, sneakers and t shirts through summer, spring and fall. I love it and would not change it. Of cousre, going out at night to clubs and bars is a different dress code for me.

This thread is heading down the wrong path...

I think it's generally a good thing for the people who have an interest in "dressing better", whatever your definition of that may be. Personally, I think it's for people who either don't or never have dressed like the streetwear type that's pretty common on NT or people who are trying to get away from that.

I don't like the fact that it's starting to become a What Did You Wear Today type post since I was just never into that idea to begin with and to be honest, there are only a couple people that do post their outfits who I generally respect as someone who dresses well. I think a bunch of you force it WAY too much and though you might have certain "pieces" that are nice, you don't put it all together well.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this shht is hilarious.. Great thread w/ advice, but Sufu and SF are much better forums for this type of stuff. More abstract, and a lot more people who could give 2 shh whether you like their tight jeans or sheer shirts.

I don't see why people take pride in calling other males out on here.. Like what are you getting from telling people they dress like Mr. Rogers or being peeved because you think someone has an inflated fashion sense..

And.. it's usually the dudes that add absolutely nothing to the thread except come thru every other page or so and throw out a critique of some sort to get a rise out of people. Same thing happened to the RL thread..

Originally Posted by niidawg3

...back to regular scheduled programming ...

Casual Friday:

niidawg3 please tell me you just got that blazer. I have been looking for a white blazer for about five months now info?????

Nii- I gotta ask before RFX does...what kind of watch is that?
laugh.gif

I also like the effect the gingham shirt has on the blazer.

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

niidawg - where did you get that purple gingham shirt?
the gingham is from Brooks Brothers ... their extra slim fit line. Its pretty well made. Picked up that and the red one at the outlet about a year ago.

Primetime - sorry ... i've had it for a couple years (2 at least) ... its from Theory ... i wear it primarily over summer ... this is the first showing this year.

WJ4 - Its a Casio Perpetual Automatic ... I am not into watches ... This is one of only two watches i own, since i rarely wear them 

Thanks to all the guys who called me a stylish fat guy
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this shht is hilarious.. Great thread w/ advice, but Sufu and SF are much better forums for this type of stuff. More abstract, and a lot more people who could give 2 shh whether you like their tight jeans or sheer shirts.

I don't see why people take pride in calling other males out on here.. Like what are you getting from telling people they dress like Mr. Rogers or being peeved because you think someone has an inflated fashion sense..

And.. it's usually the dudes that add absolutely nothing to the thread except come thru every other page or so and throw out a critique of some sort to get a rise out of people. Same thing happened to the RL thread..
laugh.gif
 Why else, because it's funny.  But more so because it's a lot of people fronting.  Certain posters like nil and ty, them dudes do it right, and it seems like a natural progression or an outfit that makes sense for that circumstance.  It's some people that on the drop of a dime seemed to switch up their whole style (wj4) and they are the types getting clowned.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Got my Richard Chai blazer from Gilt.
9rj59t.jpg

I like it but I probably won't keep it because I found a hole on the sleeve.

Broseph this blazer is sick as hell. 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

You gotta get the sleeves shortened anyway, you can just have the hole taken care of then. I love the lapels on it. What color is it though, the one in the first pics or the close ups?

I can never hate on another man's G.

The best of this thread is proper fit, maintain your budget, recommendations & opinions.

Some dudes do it some days, some don't. Whatever, this is what you wore, it's what made you comfortable. Some dudes got high profile jobs & can't go to the supermarket in pijamas in risk of encountering a client. Some dudes sagging their pants & some rolling up pants w ashy ankles.

Love that Kanye line "could be in a speedo & still be looked like a freakin hero"

Back
Top Bottom