Dressing better

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by SoleFX

Nil, where did you get the flower pin on your lapel from?

I believe Nii got it from someone who is selling it at SF, iirc it is 2 for $12.

Actually a friend made them for me. The one's on SF have 5 petals and the colors are not entirely to my tastes... too girly. 

But yes - there is someone selling them on SF if you guys are interested.

Originally Posted by got shoes

lebron-james05.jpg

YUKU
mad.gif
............any idea where i can find a similar shawl sweater similar to Lebron's in the GQ ad and not too expensive. Looked at AA, Gap and J Crew. any info?

Saw this on Ralph Lauren
pPOLO2-7044011_standard_v330.jpg

XL & XXL for ONLY $44.99
Act fast

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...onomy/POLO/1760781&kw=shawl&parentPage=search

There's also thicker ones that go up to $185
Just go to Ralph Lauren.com & search for "shawl"

Originally Posted by bakedFresh707

Originally Posted by LORENander

Originally Posted by 40inchBoost

Originally Posted by LORENander

sperry-topsider-fall-09-1.jpg

you guys think you could get away with  pair of these at a club. lets say in Frisco or Vegas?? if not can you guys recommend me a nice pair?

apparently you can. i went to vegas this past weekend and at xs and surrender ive seen some dudes get in wearing shoes like these. hell some guys got in with dunks, dont know how the hell that happened.  boat shoes will definitely work. 
as for other suggestions, go to sperrys website and have a look at these if you like the wool look. (theres only 8, 8.5, 11, and 11.5 left for the grey ones)

sperry-top-sider-wool-boat-shoes-front.jpg

if you have the money for it, id get these off sperrys website too (or sportie LA). too bad theyre more than double the price of the wool ones but i like these a lot too.
0844464_1_1200x735.jpg

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by quik1987

Cronicmolemolereturns wrote:

paul walker
pimp.gif

he does look sharp
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

cant say the same for the guy to his left ... lol

When he has the assistance of GQ
gallery_main-paul-walker-gq-photos-12222009-02.jpg

This is everything you need to know about not buying into fads. In the GQ shoot he went with a short jacket with terrible buttoning points. Its a CK suit - meaning its probably poorly constructed too (fused vs canvassed). That GQ picture is great more because of his swagger, sunglasses and GQ's photo shooting skills. The suit itself that he is wearing will be irrelevant and forgotten 10 years from now.

In the picture from the premiere, he is wearing a suit that can be worn 10, 20 years from now and still look sharp. He is growing up and probably realizes that. One day most of you will also realize that suits that that dont cover your butt, have buttoning points above your navel, peak lapels and not canvassed should form no more than 10% of your wardrobe. They are at best meant for a night on the town.

Nii---what's the difference between fused & canvassed?

Originally Posted by Stixx

Originally Posted by got shoes

lebron-james05.jpg

YUKU
mad.gif
............any idea where i can find a similar shawl sweater similar to Lebron's in the GQ ad and not too expensive. Looked at AA, Gap and J Crew. any info?

Saw this on Ralph Lauren
pPOLO2-7044011_standard_v330.jpg

XL & XXL for ONLY $44.99
Act fast

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...onomy/POLO/1760781&kw=shawl&parentPage=search

There's also thicker ones that go up to $185
Just go to Ralph Lauren.com & search for "shawl"

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
 2 hours later and the XL is gone. i was looking at RL last night, but never did check the sale section
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

niidawg3 wrote:
Friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiday ...

Nice combo. I like the colors. Also, just to let u kno, I'm gonna pull a kick door on your closet
laugh.gif

Just kidding, I'm not bout that life. What material are those pants? They look a bit more baggy at the bottom than I'm accustomed to seeing you in.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Went by Macy's today to look for a pair of oversized Rayban Wayfarers (they didn't have) & found these on the sale rack marked for $198. $285 retail.

2622.jpg

Turned out they were about $144, and dude gave me an additional 20% off bringing them to $102. Oh yea, Macy's took 10% off when you used your Macy's card, so that negated the tax. It was $102 and change. Very nice shoe in person, and the last in the store. Luckily, I fit the 8.5 and I am a 9.

Great story dude. And this is educational or beneficial, how?
eyes.gif

paul walker
pimp.gif

he does look sharp
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This is everything you need to know about not buying into fads. In the GQ shoot he went with a short jacket with terrible buttoning points. Its a CK suit - meaning its probably poorly constructed too (fused vs canvassed). That GQ picture is great more because of his swagger, sunglasses and GQ's photo shooting skills. The suit itself that he is wearing will be irrelevant and forgotten 10 years from now.

In the picture from the premiere, he is wearing a suit that can be worn 10, 20 years from now and still look sharp. He is growing up and probably realizes that. One day most of you will also realize that suits that that dont cover your butt, have buttoning points above your navel, peak lapels and not canvassed should form no more than 10% of your wardrobe. They are at best meant for a night on the town.
I agree, but I think you're defending a bad picture of Paul. I think his suit pants in the picture with Will Packer are too long and his jacket doesn't fit right.

Originally Posted by generaiya

Went by Macy's today to look for a pair of oversized Rayban Wayfarers (they didn't have) & found these on the sale rack marked for $198. $285 retail.

2622.jpg

Turned out they were about $144, and dude gave me an additional 20% off bringing them to $102. Oh yea, Macy's took 10% off when you used your Macy's card, so that negated the tax. It was $102 and change. Very nice shoe in person, and the last in the store. Luckily, I fit the 8.5 and I am a 9.

eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
let dude live, he's doing the same thing dozens of others have done in the thread.
pimp.gif
at the bargain and the shoes. 

2622.jpg

Great pick up dude.
Fixed.
wink.gif

This is a no hate zone. Critiques and discussions only.

2622.jpg

eyes.gif
people post their pickups and finds all the time... 
maybe someone likes the shoes, goes to his local Macy's and finds them? 

paul walker
pimp.gif

he does look sharp
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Didn't want to chime in but why not. I think both suits work, it will just have to depend on the style you are trying to accomplish. 
First of all, Paul Walkers first suit is fine, there are tweaks that can be done like tapering the pants (or just slimmer pants in general) and shortening the sleeves, it might be because he has his hands in his pockets but the sleeves does look long. At first I though it was the angle that makes the suit big but from this pic, it is clear that it is shaped better and the shoulder looks fine. The pants however, definitely needs to be slimmer. It looks way too baggy in comparison to the jacket, which looks slimmer in these pics.

takers5.jpg
takers2.jpg

Now, for the GQ suit, I don't think it will be outdated as Nii says. The short suit might be a trend but the slimmer silgouette certainly isn't. The overly thin lapels will go out of style eventually but the normal sized lapel now are 2.5"-3" and are here to stay. The slimmer/tapered pants is also a good look to those who can pull it off and more and more people are becoming more aware of this and tailoring this. Almost all clothign company, ie: Dockers, Dickies, etc... are coming out with slim versions of their pants now and people are moving towards it and I think it will be a staple look and won't go out of date. People are now able to get the look the models have in the the lookbooks, runways, etc... without altering them. Before it always looked slim and nice in the pictures but once you buy the item it is all huge and others really had no choice but now they do and I think more and more are moving towards that. Same with shirts, BB offering extra slim fits is a big leap and it is selling well. I think as the U.S. becomes more health conscious, the more people look for better fitting clothes, which is a good thing. We will see extremes of overly short or overly tight but eventually, it will balance off. 

At the end of the day, you just have to pick a style and stick with it. Nii has his own niche, he's got the colors and materials and fit he prefers and loves and we love him for it. He is very consistent and his clothes fit great. But that won't work for everyone. He is more traditional. Me, I try to be more street wear, even with my suits. Overall, I want a slimmer silhouette and a more modern cut and I think I've been pretty consistent with it, not jsut suits, since I don't wear it as much as Nii, but with my overall clothes. 

preach!

If you have to body for the slimmer suits with the short jackets and tapered pants, i say go for it. The entire look is much cleaner.

RFX--you said most companies are starting to produce more slim apparel? can you elaborate besides the BB xtra slim? I still have a hard time finindg stuff that doesn't always have to go to the tailor to be tapered at the legs

Originally Posted by dukeben18

preach!

If you have to body for the slimmer suits with the short jackets and tapered pants, i say go for it. The entire look is much cleaner.

RFX--you said most companies are starting to produce more slim apparel? can you elaborate besides the BB xtra slim? I still have a hard time finindg stuff that doesn't always have to go to the tailor to be tapered at the legs

Dockers has their slim tapered chinos now and their wader is slimmer than their usual offering: http://us.dockers.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3015280&cp=2271557.2271567
Dockers had the D1 slacks and those were still way too baggy.

I'm not a big fan of Dickies, but even they have their slim offerings now as well: http://www.dickies.com/pr...y51vG2ZwfGSyXy5bT40KJfph!59117124?FOLDER::folder_id=2534374302024404&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_parent_id=2534374302024397&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_id=845524441764979&ADD_CART_ITEM::ATR_Sku_Size=_

http://www.dickies.com/pr...y51vG2ZwfGSyXy5bT40KJfph!59117124?FOLDER::folder_id=2534374302024404&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_parent_id=2534374302024397&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_id=845524441764381&ADD_CART_ITEM::ATR_Sku_Size=_

http://www.dickies.com/pr...y51vG2ZwfGSyXy5bT40KJfph!59117124?FOLDER::folder_id=2534374302024404&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_parent_id=2534374302024397&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_id=845524441764984&ADD_CART_ITEM::ATR_Sku_Size=_

J Crew has their Urban Slim Fits: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pantsbyfit/urbanslim.jsp

Rugby RL always had their slim chinos as well: http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=4350972&categoryId=3138682&cp=3138868

BB has their milano fit as well, probably not the slimmest but it is more trim. Porbably similar to BRs slim offerings.

Originally Posted by RFX45

paul walker
pimp.gif

he does look sharp
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Didn't want to chime in but why not. I think both suits work, it will just have to depend on the style you are trying to accomplish. 
First of all, Paul Walkers first suit is fine, there are tweaks that can be done like tapering the pants (or just slimmer pants in general) and shortening the sleeves, it might be because he has his hands in his pockets but the sleeves does look long. At first I though it was the angle that makes the suit big but from this pic, it is clear that it is shaped better and the shoulder looks fine. The pants however, definitely needs to be slimmer. It looks way too baggy in comparison to the jacket, which looks slimmer in these pics.

takers5.jpg
takers2.jpg

Now, for the GQ suit, I don't think it will be outdated as Nii says. The short suit might be a trend but the slimmer silgouette certainly isn't. The overly thin lapels will go out of style eventually but the normal sized lapel now are 2.5"-3" and are here to stay. The slimmer/tapered pants is also a good look to those who can pull it off and more and more people are becoming more aware of this and tailoring this. Almost all clothign company, ie: Dockers, Dickies, etc... are coming out with slim versions of their pants now and people are moving towards it and I think it will be a staple look and won't go out of date. People are now able to get the look the models have in the the lookbooks, runways, etc... without altering them. Before it always looked slim and nice in the pictures but once you buy the item it is all huge and others really had no choice but now they do and I think more and more are moving towards that. Same with shirts, BB offering extra slim fits is a big leap and it is selling well. I think as the U.S. becomes more health conscious, the more people look for better fitting clothes, which is a good thing. We will see extremes of overly short or overly tight but eventually, it will balance off. 

At the end of the day, you just have to pick a style and stick with it. Nii has his own niche, he's got the colors and materials and fit he prefers and loves and we love him for it. He is very consistent and his clothes fit great. But that won't work for everyone. He is more traditional. Me, I try to be more street wear, even with my suits. Overall, I want a slimmer silhouette and a more modern cut and I think I've been pretty consistent with it, not jsut suits, since I don't wear it as much as Nii, but with my overall clothes. 

I am not going to go back and forth on this. Much like all fashion trends ... the phase most people are going through now is a fad, which is fortunately based on a style that has been around forever. So if you are fortunate enough to live in a time where the fad is 'tailored clothing' i think you need to take advantage of it, because tailored clothing done right will last you a life time. A well fitted shirt, jeans and shoes, or a well fitted suit has been en vogue since the 50s ... they will be en vogue in 2050.

If you plan to climb the upper echelons of the corporate world or society - you need to invest in items that will last the test of time. I have been where most of you are now and i can guarantee you that the slim lapel, short jacket, poly blend suits will have no place in your wardrobe when you get to 30 or 40 or 50. So why not invest in something you can own 20 years from now and still be relevant? I mean why waste money on a 200 dollar suit or pair of shoes that you will end up giving to Goodwill or trashing 3 years from now because some new fad is in.  

I have consistently said it is okay to own a couple pieces of "fad" items in your wardrobe ... because you need to stay with the times ... but the bulk of your wardrobe, especially if you are above 25 years old should be timeless items (well fitting khakis, well fitting blue shirts, well fitting jackets, leather shoes with leather soles etc)

After this i will post some pictures from the 70s and 80s ... each of those people will look stylistically relevant if they dressed and posted in this thread today. Paul Walker's GQ suit will look stupid 20 years from now ... why ... because 20 years ago it looked stupid. It is a fad. If you dress like these men today ... you will always be able to utilize the pieces as long as you live. You dont have to wear a suit everyday ... you can pair the well fitting timeless jacket with a pair of jeans to dress down ... then when you get to the point when you need a suit you can wear the entire suit and still be relevant.

carygrant2.jpg

2794636.jpg

sidney-poitier.jpg

540-Prince-Charles.jpg

And for those who will say - oh, these are all suits ... here is a casual look from the 70s ... slim fitting ... very relevant today.
17_style_icon.jpg

This thread was cool at one point but now its leaning toward an elitist view on people who wear clothes that aren't slim or "fitting". Why can't people dress themselves for themselves?

I'm 30 and unless the occasion is called upon for a formal attire, I'm in Jeans and T-shirts everyday. Don't get me wrong, Inception had me wanting to dress "better" but in the end I wouldn't be comfortable. In all honesty, I feel that some of Niidawgs suits are atrocious and feel like RFX can go up a size on some of his clothing but its their bodies and comfort in their clothes.

If I wear a 12.5 in Nike's, what size should I get of the Sperry Bahamas? 12 or 13? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom