Dressing better

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by generaiya

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Went by Macy's today to look for a pair of oversized Rayban Wayfarers (they didn't have) & found these on the sale rack marked for $198. $285 retail.

2622.jpg

Turned out they were about $144, and dude gave me an additional 20% off bringing them to $102. Oh yea, Macy's took 10% off when you used your Macy's card, so that negated the tax. It was $102 and change. Very nice shoe in person, and the last in the store. Luckily, I fit the 8.5 and I am a 9.

Great story dude. And this is educational or beneficial, how?
eyes.gif
people post their pickups and finds all the time... 
maybe someone likes the shoes, goes to his local Macy's and finds them? 
To the poster that said this is a no-hate zone, all I have to say to that is:
1. Welcome to the internet
2. Welcome to forums/message boards
3. Welcome to Niketalk. The only forum with more haters would either be superfuture or 4chan

I have no problem with people posting their pickups. But when you tell me of a great pick up you make, don't tell us which Macy's it is, and then tell us it was the last pair . . . well, then you're just straight up bragging and it's a pretty worthless post
indifferent.gif

But to appease the thin-skinned people in this thread, I will gladly "contribute"

Went by <insert store here> today to look for a <insert description of item of desire> (they didn't have) & found these on the sale rack marked for $<insert amount>. $<insert retail price>.
<insert picture of sale item>
Turned out they were about $<insert new price>, and dude gave me an additional <insert random percentage, not explaining why>% off bringing them to $<insert new total>. Oh yea, <insert store here> took <insert percentage>% off when you used your <insert store here> card, so that negated the tax. It was $<final total>. Very nice shoe in person, and the last in the store. Luckily, I fit the <insert shoe size that I am not but can fit into> and I am a <actual shoe size>.
wink.gif

By the way, 20% off final sale items + free shipping over $150 (has to be final sale items) on jcrew.com
Call in if your order is under $150 and they may waive your shipping regardless.

That's how you contribute
grin.gif

Originally Posted by UnbornSeed

This thread was cool at one point but now its leaning toward an elitist view on people who wear clothes that aren't slim or "fitting". Why can't people dress themselves for themselves?

I'm 30 and unless the occasion is called upon for a formal attire, I'm in Jeans and T-shirts everyday. Don't get me wrong, Inception had me wanting to dress "better" but in the end I wouldn't be comfortable. In all honesty, I feel that some of Niidawgs suits are atrocious and feel like RFX can go up a size on some of his clothing but its their bodies and comfort in their clothes.

I don't think is ellitist at all. I've said it before but this thread is more of a stepping stone, a guide on where to start and Nii has done well with his advice on that. After that, you have to develop your own style. Like me, I can't say everyone should follow or wear what I wear, I think I have managed to be consistent with my clothes and somewhat develop my own style. It's not the straight forward traditional , it's not the most fashion forward style either, more of a combination fo both. 
But really, having fitted clothes is just the right thing to do. You can always size up or size down depending on your comfort level but the days of XXL Fubu tees and 38 Phat Farm jeans are gone and you really can't be presentable in those. Sure a well qualified person who wears Steve Harvey suits might get hired but it isn't a good look, but really nothing against it. This thread is just to promote or at least open options that others may have over looked. 

Originally Posted by niidawg3

I am not going to go back and forth on this. Much like all fashion trends ... the phase most people are going through now is a fad, which is fortunately based on a style that has been around forever. So if you are fortunate enough to live in a time where the fad is 'tailored clothing' i think you need to take advantage of it, because tailored clothing done right will last you a life time. A well fitted shirt, jeans and shoes, or a well fitted suit has been en vogue since the 50s ... they will be en vogue in 2050.

If you plan to climb the upper echelons of the corporate world or society - you need to invest in items that will last the test of time. I have been where most of you are now and i can guarantee you that the slim lapel, short jacket, poly blend suits will have no place in your wardrobe when you get to 30 or 40 or 50. So why not invest in something you can own 20 years from now and still be relevant? I mean why waste money on a 200 dollar suit or pair of shoes that you will end up giving to Goodwill or trashing 3 years from now because some new fad is in.  

I have consistently said it is okay to own a couple pieces of "fad" items in your wardrobe ... because you need to stay with the times ... but the bulk of your wardrobe, especially if you are above 25 years old should be timeless items (well fitting khakis, well fitting blue shirts, well fitting jackets, leather shoes with leather soles etc)

After this i will post some pictures from the 70s and 80s ... each of those people will look stylistically relevant if they dressed and posted in this thread today. Paul Walker's GQ suit will look stupid 20 years from now ... why ... because 20 years ago it looked stupid. It is a fad. If you dress like these men today ... you will always be able to utilize the pieces as long as you live. You dont have to wear a suit everyday ... you can pair the well fitting timeless jacket with a pair of jeans to dress down ... then when you get to the point when you need a suit you can wear the entire suit and still be relevant. 

Overall, I think we are somewhat trying to say the same thing. I agree that super short suits and super slim lapels will go out of style. I think it just shows us, two SF folks separated, you from MC and me from SW. I am more tolerant of less traditional items. We both agree on well fitting clothes but in this time and age, I think it is more difficult especially for those with a limited budget. As you may know, clothes plus altering can add up and thrifting and scoping up ebay and fs forums isn't the easiest thing. Nii, to you and I, it may be easier since we are well aware of our measurements, shoulders, chest, arm legnth, etc... To others here, they have no idea and yeah it takes some trials and errors and I htink this thread has encouraged some to give it a shot, and I think even more are more open to bringing clothes to the tailor now but again, it isn't as easy task.
Looking at the materials, the quality, the sizing, these are all very difficult to do online. And that is why most things suggested here are mall brands, easy to access clothes and at times, there really isn't a choice but to go in that route and then move on from there. I think we need to take into account that there are younger crowds here than SF, more specifically MC. Most people here are still growing and changing so it is hard to buy clothes an make it fit now and hope it still fits 10 years from now. I think in MC, it is easier to do that since most are established and have a set in their physique. In here, I don't think it's bad to go a bit modern as chances are, it won't fit some of these guys 10 years from now anyways. 

With that said, I think for the young crowd, a nice well made knit is the best clothing for the fall/winter. They tend to stretch a bit so it can accomodate a slith change in size adn a good quality one, when taken care of, can last. Another would be shoes, we already know a good pair when taken care of could last years, maybe even decades and I think most shoe sizes here aren't growing anymore. 

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Went by Macy's today to look for a pair of oversized Rayban Wayfarers (they didn't have) & found these on the sale rack marked for $198. $285 retail.

2622.jpg

Turned out they were about $144, and dude gave me an additional 20% off bringing them to $102. Oh yea, Macy's took 10% off when you used your Macy's card, so that negated the tax. It was $102 and change. Very nice shoe in person, and the last in the store. Luckily, I fit the 8.5 and I am a 9.

Great story dude. And this is educational or beneficial, how?
eyes.gif
people post their pickups and finds all the time... 
maybe someone likes the shoes, goes to his local Macy's and finds them? 
To the poster that said this is a no-hate zone, all I have to say to that is:
1. Welcome to the internet
2. Welcome to forums/message boards
3. Welcome to Niketalk. The only forum with more haters would either be superfuture or 4chan

I have no problem with people posting their pickups. But when you tell me of a great pick up you make, don't tell us which Macy's it is, and then tell us it was the last pair . . . well, then you're just straight up bragging and it's a pretty worthless post
indifferent.gif

But to appease the thin-skinned people in this thread, I will gladly "contribute"

Went by <insert store here> today to look for a <insert description of item of desire> (they didn't have) & found these on the sale rack marked for $<insert amount>. $<insert retail price>.
<insert picture of sale item>
Turned out they were about $<insert new price>, and dude gave me an additional <insert random percentage, not explaining why>% off bringing them to $<insert new total>. Oh yea, <insert store here> took <insert percentage>% off when you used your <insert store here> card, so that negated the tax. It was $<final total>. Very nice shoe in person, and the last in the store. Luckily, I fit the <insert shoe size that I am not but can fit into> and I am a <actual shoe size>.
wink.gif

By the way, 20% off final sale items + free shipping over $150 (has to be final sale items) on jcrew.com
Call in if your order is under $150 and they may waive your shipping regardless.

That's how you contribute
grin.gif
Look into her eyes....Calm down....I know you had a bad day...Let the fantasy of this soothe your soul. INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS
e85414846d4bc8e8_kerry-w.xlarger.jpg

This thread was cool at one point but now its leaning toward an elitist view on people who wear clothes that aren't slim or "fitting". Why can't people dress themselves for themselves?

I'm 30 and unless the occasion is called upon for a formal attire, I'm in Jeans and T-shirts everyday. Don't get me wrong, Inception had me wanting to dress "better" but in the end I wouldn't be comfortable. In all honesty, I feel that some of Niidawgs suits are atrocious and feel like RFX can go up a size on some of his clothing but its their bodies and comfort in their clothes.

no one is being elitist .. and this thread is not run by myself or RFX ... it is obvious we dress differently ... but we still (and most people do) agree on the basic tenets of fashion. our dialogue was specific to suits/suiting. we can have a whole other conversation about jeans and tees ... and the evolution from baggy to slim to super skinny. you have no idea how many PMs i answer on these topics ... and sometimes i feel like it serves a better purpose to post my overall thoughts on the main board in order to save people money ... cos trust me ... you will have regrets 5 years from now with a 300 dollar short polyesther suit.

and btw ... if i post a fit that you think is atrocious, you need to grow a set and say it. that is the only way this thread will grow. i dont post here for accolades/praises alone and i hope no one else does. I think we all have the opportunity to get better. its a b-itch move to not say what you feel, till you feel the need to talk about elitism. You may not be one, but you just sound like a hater ... and people like you dont make this thread any better.

no one is being elitist .. and this thread is not run by myself or RFX ... it is obvious we dress differently ... but we still (and most people do) agree on the basic tenets of fashion. our dialogue was specific to suits/suiting. we can have a whole other conversation about jeans and tees ... and the evolution from baggy to slim to super skinny. you have no idea how many PMs i answer on these topics ... and sometimes i feel like it serves a better purpose to post my overall thoughts on the main board in order to save people money ... cos trust me ... you will have regrets 5 years from now with a 300 dollar short polyesther suit.

and btw ... if i post a fit that you think is atrocious, you need to grow a set and say it. that is the only way this thread will grow. i dont post here for accolades/praises alone and i hope no one else does. I think we all have the opportunity to get better. its a b-itch move to not say what you feel, till you feel the need to talk about elitism. You may not be one, but you just sound like a hater ... and people like you dont make this thread any better.
Whoa! I don't speak in this thread, but his post just deaded that real quick.  I've seen some very elitist and very helpful posts in this thread.  A man doesn't always have to tell you how he feels, but he said he didn't like a couple of your fits.  That's his opinion, live with it seriously.  Not everyone here is going to like each others style of course, but nobody should get mad for stating how they feel either.  Peopel have the word hater and opinion confused.  If I don't like somethin I don't like it doesn't mean that I'm hating.  This thread has some cats feeling like their fashion experts while others are learning. Never seen anyone get this upset over an opinion, but whatever works for you is cool with me though
tired.gif

Can anybody find me a white dress shirt with thin light gray stripes? Price doesn't matter as long as it's not absurd. It's for this tie. And if you have any other shirt suggestions, I'm open.

2i6e636.jpg

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Yo, I'm going to Vegas from the 10th to the 12th and I need some gear to cop, so I come to you gear coppers for help.

I'm 6'4" 225ish, my waist size is a 38, I wear a size 13-14 shoe and basically I'm looking to get some evening wear. Shoes, pants and shirt/s for wearing out at night. I'm not really a slim dude, so I need some good examples of what I can wear out that looks good on a guy my size. Simple to over the top is all good with me. I just need some examples. Thanks.

Anyone?

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Whoa! I don't speak in this thread, but his post just deaded that real quick.  I've seen some very elitist and very helpful posts in this thread.  A man doesn't always have to tell you how he feels, but he said he didn't like a couple of your fits.  That's his opinion, live with it seriously.  Not everyone here is going to like each others style of course, but nobody should get mad for stating how they feel either.  Peopel have the word hater and opinion confused.  If I don't like somethin I don't like it doesn't mean that I'm hating.  This thread has some cats feeling like their fashion experts while others are learning. Never seen anyone get this upset over an opinion, but whatever works for you is cool with me though
tired.gif

i guess you misunderstood my post ...

1. i clearly stated i am learning too ... and expect constructive criticism. can you explain to me how "atrocious" is constructive?

2. i have never called anyone's fit atrocious, and typically stay away from the childish tomfoolery that some people engage in when folks post. This thread has always been a place to help people get better. Example, when the guy in green pants got laughed at ... i tried to give him constructive criticism on how to use the green pants to make a good fit ... and actually he is the reason why i have worn "fancy" colored pants the last couple days to give him an idea of how to make it work.

3. if anyone truely feels someone's fit (including mine) is not up to par ... they NEED to speak up. how can i get better if no one says anything? how can we all get better if no one says anything? i clearly said that in my post. why wait till sometime down the line and then say .... oh, you are acting elitist, some of your fits are atrocious ... where is the value in that? just combining that "opinion" with the whole "elitist" route shows that it wasnt meant to be constructive.

4. i am not naive... i know my fits are not to the taste of most people who post here ... i know the crowd here is more street wear oriented but i still post because i believe that i can get my streetwear game better by coming here and posting ... while also imparting tailored clothing info for people.

5. And when it comes to opinions, internet talk and outright hate, trust me if i lived and died by what people thought of me in this thread or the internet i'd have stopped posting by now, and probably so would RFX and a few others. RFX gets hate mail/disses from people ... wj4 got dissed and stopped posting ... i've been laughed at before about my fits/looks and keep posting. i have a thicker skin than you can ever imagine. you have no idea what i've been thru in life ... to think that interwebz will get me riled up ... lol  

i dont know how else to say it ... and i am not going to address this issue anymore.

Yo, I'm going to Vegas from the 10th to the 12th and I need some gear to cop, so I come to you gear coppers for help.

I'm 6'4" 225ish, my waist size is a 38, I wear a size 13-14 shoe and basically I'm looking to get some evening wear. Shoes, pants and shirt/s for wearing out at night. I'm not really a slim dude, so I need some good examples of what I can wear out that looks good on a guy my size. Simple to over the top is all good with me. I just need some examples. Thanks.

Anyone?

Its pretty hot in Vegas now so i'd go with fitted shirts (whites, blues and greys will be very versatile) and pants ... a nice pair of shoes (one black one brown) and maybe some low profile sneakers. I wont recommend taking a blazer because of the heat, but someone can feel free to correct me.

I am a pretty big guy too, so you can check my photobucket account out and see if there is anything there you like. Other than that i'd say just read randomly through this thread cos the Vegas question has been asked a few times. 

In terms of shopping i'd say BR, Gap (both having sales this weekend), TJ Maxx etc. Maybe you might need to find a tailor to also alter some of the things you get.

ether.jpg

I don't think Nii was mad with his response. I think he was just encouraging him to just speak up. At least that's what I got from it.

Anyone?
Check out Nordstrom Rack, they have plenty of choices and plenty of sizes. They have a lot fo pants that are unfinished. They alsi have lots of huge shoes and most of them are on deep discounts since it doesn't sell well. Nordstrom Rack also has a tailoring department and you can get them tailored there for cheaper if you purchase the clothes from there.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Can anybody find me a white dress shirt with thin light gray stripes? Price doesn't matter as long as it's not absurd. It's for this tie. And if you have any other shirt suggestions, I'm open.

2i6e636.jpg

Paisley ties are pretty busy by themselves ... so i wont go with stripes since it can get tricky. A very light yellow/cream, white or blue shirt would be great. If you have to go with stripes, go with a very muted stripe to avoid clashing ... or go with very bold for the "tom ford" look.

My suggestion will be TM Lewin (www.tmlewin.co.uk) ... there is a code COR510 for discounts on their shirts too.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

2i6e636.jpg
This tie looks like it was cut out of an oriental rug. I'd probably try to bring out that little bit of navy blue and rock it with a baby blue shirt. Otherwise it'll look too "rug" like. 

What do you guys think about my black suit? I can tell you for a fact that the sleeves ain't as short as my left hand makes them look in the picture. Also excuse the dumb hat but it's from my graduation last year
laugh.gif

8yukq1.jpg

Not bad, fit is actually pretty good. If I were to nit-pick, shorten the pants a bit, it looks tapered already so it just need to be a tad short and no square toed shoes.

To add to what rfx said, the collar could be tighter. The jacket should hug your neck. It is really nitpicking because this is one of the better fitting suits posted in the thread. Very nice. Now get it in navy and charcoal and you'll have a good base of well fitting suits.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
Seriously, your insecurity oozed from your reply.  Grow a pair?  For not hitting some keystrokes and replying to your every posts?  You need to quit posting pictures of yourself if you're gonna pull a b-itch move and cry over me calling your suits atrocious. You'd think I said your face was atrocious the way your panties got all bunched up.  How can anything I said come off as elitist?  I dislike a couple of your suits. Get over it.  And yes, I'm a hater because obviously your daily drab is the end all be all of fashion and I dont subscribe to it.

The only way this thread gets better is if people quit telling people how to dress and just give input.  Theres a big difference in "go with the gray suit" vs. "you'll regret not getting the gray suit".

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by dukeben18

preach!

If you have to body for the slimmer suits with the short jackets and tapered pants, i say go for it. The entire look is much cleaner.

RFX--you said most companies are starting to produce more slim apparel? can you elaborate besides the BB xtra slim? I still have a hard time finindg stuff that doesn't always have to go to the tailor to be tapered at the legs

Dockers has their slim tapered chinos now and their wader is slimmer than their usual offering: http://us.dockers.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3015280&cp=2271557.2271567
Dockers had the D1 slacks and those were still way too baggy.

I'm not a big fan of Dickies, but even they have their slim offerings now as well: http://www.dickies.com/pr...y51vG2ZwfGSyXy5bT40KJfph!59117124?FOLDER::folder_id=2534374302024404&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_parent_id=2534374302024397&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_id=845524441764979&ADD_CART_ITEM::ATR_Sku_Size=_

http://www.dickies.com/pr...y51vG2ZwfGSyXy5bT40KJfph!59117124?FOLDER::folder_id=2534374302024404&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_parent_id=2534374302024397&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_id=845524441764381&ADD_CART_ITEM::ATR_Sku_Size=_

http://www.dickies.com/pr...y51vG2ZwfGSyXy5bT40KJfph!59117124?FOLDER::folder_id=2534374302024404&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_parent_id=2534374302024397&PRODUCT::tongue:rd_id=845524441764984&ADD_CART_ITEM::ATR_Sku_Size=_

J Crew has their Urban Slim Fits: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pantsbyfit/urbanslim.jsp

Rugby RL always had their slim chinos as well: http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=4350972&categoryId=3138682&cp=3138868

BB has their milano fit as well, probably not the slimmest but it is more trim. Porbably similar to BRs slim offerings.
any idea how the slim fit dickies fit?? they don't look "slim" on the model in the pictures on the site

i've been wanting to get a pair of the regular dickies and get them altered to fit slimmer

no offense to you nii, but how can you say this thread isnt elitist? its super elitist, people are using their own opinion to criticize or praise other people. its based on nothing but personal style. i think a lot of the stuff you wear looks good even if i wouldnt wear it personally. same for other people that post pics in here. its hard to knock someones choice of clothing just because i wouldnt like the way it looked on me.

302xctk.jpg

snfmtc.jpg

The past couple of weeks has seen several very good efforts from James Bond and David Beckham for Becks’ adidas Originals ObyO capsule.  As with all of the Bond x Beckham joints so far, these feature premium construction, with buttery soft leather playing the starring role on the rarely seen adidas Doley.  They’ve got a bit of the Chuck Taylor vibe with a simple toecap, but instead of rubber from the sole (which is actually vulc on these), it’s a rich caramel brown leather.  Looks great on the toe and heel with navy blue elsewhere and leather laces finish off the luxe look.  Superb execution of a model you don’t see every day, the Becks n Bond Doleys are available at select adidas retailers like Extra Butter.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

.........These might be the first joint's I post in here and actually cop

Originally Posted by JPioneer

What do you guys think about my black suit? I can tell you for a fact that the sleeves ain't as short as my left hand makes them look in the picture. Also excuse the dumb hat but it's from my graduation last year
laugh.gif

8yukq1.jpg

What in fire marshall Bill's name is that hat about?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom