Dressing better

Originally Posted by ku JHAWX

I appreciate all the help guys, but I'm not really a fan of the "frat" look, especially in a college town. I'll lose the undershirt and go with some khakis though...all white Vans acceptable?

Yes, all white vans are acceptable and would look much better.

It seems like the shirt could fit you better (seems a little long and overall big),
if you can do something about that, then do it.

Buy a can of spray starch and iron your shirt, focus on the collar so
it'll look crispy.

Roll up your sleeves properly.

Originally Posted by tony23retro

I appreciate all the help guys, but I'm not really a fan of the "frat" look, especially in a college town. I'll lose the undershirt and go with some khakis though...all white Vans acceptable?

It seems like the shirt could fit you better (seems a little long and overall big),
if you can do something about that, then do it.

Buy a can of spray starch and iron your shirt, focus on the collar so
it'll look crispy.

Roll up your sleeves properly.
Don't starch it.

You have to keep in mind, this is the no sneaker zone, personally I straddle the line between both sides.

All white vans are garbage, just not a fan of them, no offense to rock those on the regular.

In the end, be yourself.  If she knows you are a cargo/kicks type of dude and all of a sudden switch it up she will see right through it.

Agree on the starch, don't do it.

I disagree with the use of "properly" and "appropriate", dudes becoming stuffy as hell in this joint.  Whatever you rock, do it with confidence and make it your own, people forget that it's "Personal Style"
wink.gif

Spoiler [+]
We talking 'bout rolling up sleeves, +%#@ outta here
Spoiler [+]
We talking 'bout appropriate shoes to wear with shorts?
roll.gif

to all the guys who dont wear undershirt with their button downs/sport shirts...how do you stop from sweating through the armpits, causing the sweaty pit stains?? Im in an extremely humid area (houston, and now D.C) so idk if i should risk ruining a shirt by not wearing an undershirt?..any help?

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

All white vans are garbage, just not a fan of them, no offense to rock those on the regular.

In the end, be yourself.  If she knows you are a cargo/kicks type of dude and all of a sudden switch it up she will see right through it.

Agree on the starch, don't do it.

I disagree with the use of "properly" and "appropriate", dudes becoming stuffy as hell in this joint.  Whatever you rock, do it with confidence and make it your own, people forget that it's "Personal Style"
wink.gif

Spoiler [+]
We talking 'bout rolling up sleeves, +%#@ outta here
Spoiler [+]
We talking 'bout appropriate shoes to wear with shorts?
roll.gif

I said appropriate because he's clearly going to a special event " I'm taking my girl out for her "birthday" (missed her real birthday 
tired.gif
) but I really wanted to make this one special," So clearly he wanted to have a moment, you might as well step it up for that event, and wear something appropriate. 
Don't get it twisted homie, I wear sneakers all the time, but if I'm taking my lady for a special birthday, I'm going to dress it up a little.  But that's just me...

Where are you guys buying inexpensive suits from?

I just need one for a formal I have to go to for my girl in the fall. I want a navy or grey one, and H&M suits def don't fit me

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

to all the guys who dont wear undershirt with their button downs/sport shirts...how do you stop from sweating through the armpits, causing the sweaty pit stains?? Im in an extremely humid area (houston, and now D.C) so idk if i should risk ruining a shirt by not wearing an undershirt?..any help?
I wear undershirts, usually V-Necks that you can't see when the shirt is buttoned up.  If it's buttoned down you are already in casual mode so an undershirt isn't a faux paus as much as people try to make it seem.  Can't do the no undershirt, Rico Suave let me show off my chest hairs look,
laugh.gif
I said appropriate because he's clearly going to a special event " I'm taking my girl out for her "birthday" (missed her real birthday 
tired.gif
) but I really wanted to make this one special," So clearly he wanted to have a moment, you might as well step it up for that event, and wear something appropriate. 
While a date/birthday is a special event, it's not really that serious for fashionistas.  Shopping and a Restaurant, not exactly a formal affair.  Plus, shorts in general scream casual so shorts and appropriate don't exactly belong in the same sentence.  Now if you want to say preference, then you are correct.

It looks like a casual outing, doesn't take away the "specialness" of the event, but it seems casual.  It just seems his outfit is being picked apart for no good reason, when we should be giving suggestions.

Sleeves? Who cares, she wont.
Undershirt? Looks off, and it's an eyesore especially when layered with a white button up.
Shorts? Cargos or Chinos, above the knee or below? Does it really matter, nope.
Shoes? Sneakers or "Other"?  I don't think it matters.

Where are you guys buying inexpensive suits from?

I just need one for a formal I have to go to for my girl in the fall. I want a navy or grey one, and H&M suits def don't fit me
What is your definition of "inexpensive"?  It looks like you have time, so if you want to get decent for cheap just wait until Labor Day weekend and hit the outlets.  They usually have killer sales.  Banana Republic usually has 40% off F&F's, you have to go on Thursday or Friday 'cause place gets cleaned up fairly quickly.  Brooks Brothers usually has good sales and 2 for $_____ on suits.  Think of suits as an investment.

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

Valet: Combating Sweat Stains
Read the comments as well.

If you're sweating a lot, you may just need an undershirt. 

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by RFX45

Finally received the Dayton boots in grey nubuck after a 2-month wait.
amFGw.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You said they were custom right?
They were made to order, nothing special about it, it's just that they didn't make it until I ordered it. Does that make sense? It just got delayed because a bunch of other people ordered it when they had the discount price in April. Here;s better pics.
KjZlk.jpg
WgcD5.jpg

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Finally received the Dayton boots in grey nubuck after a 2-month wait.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You said they were custom right?
They were made to order, nothing special about it, it's just that they didn't make it until I ordered it. Does that make sense? It just got delayed because a bunch of other people ordered it when they had the discount price in April. Here;s better pics.
WgcD5.jpg
They look sharp
pimp.gif
 but that price 
30t6p3b.gif

RFX those are damn near perfect boots IMO.
pimp.gif

I think it's really hard to strike the right balance with boots; you want them to be tough and solid, but not overly big or clunky. They nailed it on the head with those.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Alright fellas, need some help.

I'm taking my girl out for her "birthday" (missed her real birthday
tired.gif
) but I really wanted to make this one special, and have a nice fit to go along with it. So far what we have planned is just to go shopping and then out to a restaurant of her choice...

This is what I had in mind...

Baby blue Express V-neck
White Polo Ralph Lauren Button-up
Gray Shorts
Air Max 1's

Didn't know if I was mixing too many styles or not...just wanted some feedback. Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Sorry for the crappy pics as well.

This is just sloppy. 
Keep the button up...and roll the sleeves properly. 

Iron the collar of the button up and keep it lookin sharp. 

Under shirt makes no sense.  Leave it at home.

Get a new pair of chino shorts, and NOT cargos. 

Put on a belt and tuck in the shirt.

Examples of the length (below or above the knee is up to you; I would go above)

slim-fit-chino-shorts.jpg

88B01UNAT_large.jpg

Example of appropriate shoes: 

ConverseJackPurcellBoat1.jpg

converse-jack-purcell-crocodile-skin_.jpg

1.jpg

well put; 
pimp.gif
 i wear a fit just like eiddyfouw posted, if only i had a cam i would post pics. i wear a chambray shirt, khaki short chinos above the knees, and some vans 

Do you guys have any recommendations for slim/European cut suits under $600? I've done some research on styleforum and a few other sites but these guys are dropping serious cash on suits. I'm an entry level guy
laugh.gif

Looking for something for work, preferably wool no polyester. If all else fails, I'll just go to Mysuit off 34th or Alton Lane and get a MTM, although the lapels n such will probably be bigger than my liking.
So far, I got J.Crew

Thanks!

I had these for a couple of months now and forgot I had them until i saw RFX45's post. I waited over 3 months for Brown ones that I ordered and these came
grin.gif

5848868198_43f7b7f31c_z.jpg

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Do you guys have any recommendations for slim/European cut suits under $600? I've done some research on styleforum and a few other sites but these guys are dropping serious cash on suits. I'm an entry level guy
laugh.gif

Looking for something for work, preferably wool no polyester. If all else fails, I'll just go to Mysuit off 34th or Alton Lane and get a MTM, although the lapels n such will probably be bigger than my liking.
So far, I got J.Crew

Thanks!

I just purchased a suit from Macy's (Slim cut) from a company called Bar III ... The suit was Originally $495.00 and ended up being 30$ off.
Came to $350 with tax ... I went to J Crew on 5th Ave and they had the Ludlow suit for $700 w/ tax no sale. 
mad.gif
 ... It was a nice cut but I wasn't about to drop $7-800 off top for a J Crew suit ...

Now I just need a TAILOR!!!  Anybody have a card or name for someone in NYC?

living in houston texas FTL
its too hot to wear some of the thing posted
frown.gif

v-necks and a tailored pair of apc's is what i've been wearing :/

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

does anyone know if the jcrew red chambray shirt will shrink? just bought one

i doubt it
i bought one from gap, never shrunk 

ended up having to get it altered..

Originally Posted by got shoes

i feel uncomfortable not wearing a shirt underneath a button up, know matter what the weather is
wear a v-neck under so it doesn't look so tacky
maybe button just the middle two buttons. looks clean IMO

Originally Posted by Lstylez23

Originally Posted by got shoes

i feel uncomfortable not wearing a shirt underneath a button up, know matter what the weather is
wear a v-neck under so it doesn't look so tacky
maybe button just the middle two buttons. looks clean IMO

i wear a v-neck all the time

Originally Posted by akuratl02

ThrowedInDaGame wrote:

laugh.gif

So far, I got J.Crew

Thanks!

I just purchased a suit from Macy's (Slim cut) from a company called Bar III ... The suit was Originally $495.00 and ended up being 30$ off.
Came to $350 with tax ... I went to J Crew on 5th Ave and they had the Ludlow suit for $700 w/ tax no sale. 
mad.gif
 ... It was a nice cut but I wasn't about to drop $7-800 off top for a J Crew suit ...

Now I just need a TAILOR!!!  Anybody have a card or name for someone in NYC?

Genius Tailor. Dope guy.

Back
Top Bottom