dropping out of college

Originally Posted by Cap29

Originally Posted by Cash is Clay

i was gone say 13.5? you nut forget about 13.5 man but damn 135 but a revolver its easier haha

eek.gif
roll.gif

english? Do you speak it?

That's not nice.

Drop out? Nah, bad choice.

Take that loan? Nah, seek more financial options.

I've never taken out a school loan, *points at the sky*, can they be taken out on a semester to semester basis?

Need a student job? PM me if your serious about maxing out your allotted 20 hours a week. I'll kick you up to 40 hours a week in the summer.

Originally Posted by ispeakjewleo

Originally Posted by Noskey

Transfer to a local community college.
You'll probably have to wait til next term to start there since this one's been going on.
Get a job. You can save up money that, if need be, can help pay for tuition when the time comes.
Finish out your sophomore year there and get an AA degree (with the best grades possible), saving tens of thousands of dollars right there.
While you're at that CC, look into scholarships and grants, talk to financial aid people, academic advisers, whoever, about saving as much money as possible.
Since you're at a CC local to USC, it should be set up to transfer you right back into USC with that associates.
Transfer back into USC, or whatever school you want to.
All this right here 

They don't call USC

University Of Spoiled Children. For nothing.

If I were you though I wouldn't drop out.

Hope you don't end up dropping out. Regret it and end up working a retail management job at some place like Footlocker or Gamestop.

I'll add more later, but the one thing that baffles me about college students at major universities is the lack of hustle. I'll elaborate later. It's mind "bottling"

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

USC tuition is no joke. i got a 50 grand loan for CSUN and i think thats a lot. imagining 135K smh.

Im in my first year at csun living at home. Financial aid covers everything for me plus i have extra leftoverLike others have said go to community first then transfer or go to a csu much cheaper

I'd say stay, but I'm pretty biased. USC gave me an awesome 4 years. But then again, your financial situation is much tougher than mine. My student loans aren't even close to what you have to pay off. USC has an abundance of scholarships that a lot of students overlook. So maybe you can look into that to lighten up that debt.

If you do happen to stay, make sure you take FULL advantage of all the resources that USC has to offer (job fairs, career center, recruiting events, etc.) If you do things correctly, you can land a good job right out of college. USC is among the top institutions in the country and you'll be part of an amazing network. The Trojan Family is among the best in the nation.

Maybe I'm using the wrong term. I want to take a break from USC to get some money because right now... I'm living on close to nothing. It's hard to study with all this on my mind. IronMan, I'm assuming you go to USC. Is it possible to take a break and come back?

Originally Posted by sircharles2ol3

Get out of there.. man you need that CUNY life.. like 2700 a semester for good education.. find an alternative route.. is debt really something you wanna be in, during times like this?
^ Co-sign homie. This, not the loan OP
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Originally Posted by Pushak513

This is the whole reason I never went to college..I just can't grap that any amount of knowledge in just about any feild excluding doctors or somthing is worth 45K a year...Just dosent make sence..always pushing everyone to get more education..well they need to bring the price tag down and get the tuition under control and maybe more people would..
Plenty of people do. Judging by your sentences, you could use some extra education. Look into it.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Be sure to finish somewhere if you decide to drop out of USC, especially with that kind of debt. Go to community college, and finish where you want. 135k will be a lot of debt to pay off, but it will strangle you without the earnings potential a degree would provide.

yeah it is possible to take a break. It's called defered (sp?) admissions. Talk to someone at your school. Tell them your situation and tell em you want to step away for it year. It happens. But trust me man, don't drop out of school. You don't hear many people with good paying jobs saying "oh man I'm so glad I dropped out of college." You hear more people saying they're glad they stuck it through and finished what they started. Take a year off and return to USC imo

Go and get that Associates degree from a community college first. Or even better, hit up some UC school that's decent.

State schools usually have transferable credits to bigger private uni's. It's worth the try.

College undergrad should be the best 4-5(for a small amount 6) years of your life. TRUST ME, you don't wanna spend some of those days in the financial aid office hearing that threat of not coming back next semester.

Easy answer. If your parents cant help you than drop out. Youll be in debt for a long time. Plus the rate unemployment is right now. You confident in finding a job after you graduate?

as a business major, look at it from a business standpoint. It is an extremely poor investment...

Anyone else? Thanks for the feedback. Just spoke to my counselor today and he told me if i stay for the rest of the semester. If i go this route, I can take a leave of absence for up to 2 years and still have a guaranteed spot at USC. I'll probably take a year off and just work and apply to scholarships. If this doesn't pan out, then I suppose I can just transfer to a cal state.

I've dropped out of college twice.  The first time was because of a family emergency and to help them out.  The second time was because of money.  I'm back in school now and regret not returning sooner and having my degree.  If I don't get financial aid for next semester then I'm in trouble.  
frown.gif

Originally Posted by beh235

Originally Posted by sircharles2ol3

Get out of there.. man you need that CUNY life.. like 2700 a semester for good education.. find an alternative route.. is debt really something you wanna be in, during times like this?
^ Co-sign homie. This, not the loan OP
laugh.gif

lovin this right here and when TAP be sendin out that refund check
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Humble Pedant

Anyone else? Thanks for the feedback. Just spoke to my counselor today and he told me if i stay for the rest of the semester. If i go this route, I can take a leave of absence for up to 2 years and still have a guaranteed spot at USC. I'll probably take a year off and just work and apply to scholarships. If this doesn't pan out, then I suppose I can just transfer to a cal state.
Definitely ride out this semester.

Don't take more than a semester off, but IMO, you are hurting yourself in the long run.  Apply for aid, scholarships, grants...anything that offers money.  There are scholarships and grants that go to waste yearly because students don't apply for them.

Like I said, if you are serious about an on campus job let me know.  You have to be a student though,
laugh.gif

The point that I was trying to make earlier is that students don't want to work.  I didn't have the luxury of making work an option.  One thing I knew off the bat coming out of HS is that I didn't want to get into debt.  I got lucky, FAFSA and EOP money flowed my way.  I never paid out of pocket for anything.  Even then I didn't sit on my $%@, I had jobs since I was 17.  I flipped burgers at Carls Jr (HS job), loaded/unloaded boxes at FedEx, ran an after school playground for LAUSD, worked retail (Footlocker/Niketown), did internships (MTV, Comedy Central, ABC, etc).  I was busy, and still had an awesome social life.  The only thing that changed was meeting my crew at the spot instead of someones crib.  Party's start at 10pm-11pm anyway
laugh.gif
.  I always worked, 'cause I hate asking people for money and I hate borrowing money.

See what loan options you have, there's got to be more options than taking out a loan for that amount.

Also, don't take out a loan for room & board.  You can get that yourself, worst case just commute to campus.  You will get to know peers that live near campus, so if you party you will have somewhere to crash.

A degree from USC might be valuable, but not 135k valuable in this economic climate. If you can, explore other more financially prudent options (state schools/CC's). 135k would set you back at least 5 years of dedicated savings/loan payments for a piece of paper that says BA, definitely not worth it. Props for coming to your senses and making moves. Update when you get a chance.

Thats a pretty tough situation, 135k you will be payin off for aloong time no matter what job your gettin. But your also kinda committed now. Sorry OP idk

Not sure what's already been said, but I'd drop out of a private university and attend a junior college. Then transfer to a state university for somewhat affordable tuition.

Back
Top Bottom