East Coast NTers...First an Earthquake, now a Hurricane? Vol. Irene

I lost power at 9:30 last night...it came back around 2am. Went out this AM and I have a #!*# load of branches that fell off of trees all over my yard. I'm waiting till 8am so I can go to Home Depot and get some sting to tie it up.

Could have been much worse....

Good luck to yall in the tri-state area

Can't comment on other locations,

but in my area (NYC) this was not much more than the average rainy/windy day (no exaggeration). Which is exactly what I knew would happen. My satellite TV very briefly lost signal for a few mins (like on any other rainy day), and my internet was a bit slow...... that's about it. Same for most of my friends (although a handful lost power briefly), and I didn't see any real damage walking around my hood.

At least the constant hype/fear mongering helped media ratings. I understand operating with an "abundance of caution" but this was just ridiculous/pathetic/unprofessional (and only has detrimental effects for those times when a storm or other event is actually worthy of such vigilance ie: making a mockery out of mother nature & causing people to not heed warnings in truly catastrophic events) .... anyway;

Glad this is finally behind us. Hope all is well for those in areas that were actually affected.

Good morning everyone. My family & I survived Irene. I loive in Maryland just outside of Baltimore. It was pretty intense between 11PM-3AM, Lights flickered quite a bit but never lost power. The local news said there's just under 500,000 people without power here in MD & CNN reports about 3 million people on the east coast total are without power.

Good luck to everyone in Jersey, NYC, & New England....

so there is a part 2 right? that wasn't it right? there is more to come? 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

I just thank God my power didn't go out. Bge ftw. Good luck ny. It's yalls turn. its still raining here so ill be still chilling in the house...this may be far fetched but they said over a million ppl in the Dmv are without power.
The storm overall wasn't as bad as they hyped it up to be, not like Isabel at least. My lights flickered on/off, and the power went out for literally a minute, then came back on. I had to drop a friend off this morning and there are A LOT of trees/branches down in the area, but other than that no real damage that I've seen. I'm glad I moved out of VA, they are predicting up to 2 weeks without power.
eek.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Bleepthat

Any reports of power outages in Manhattan? If that's the case I'm going to be screwed. Don't have any candles. I found a dead stock package of flashlight with batteries in my crib which was purchased from the +@#+%%@ chain store BRADLEES. If you are aware, that store has been gone for about 10 years now....the look on my face when I saw that Bradlees price tag.......
damn that's a throwback lol I remember shopping over there by 14th street

Went to pick up my momma from work, took LIE. On the way, a lot of trees down around my block.
A number of pools of water on certain parts of the LIE, came up to a point where I see cars going backwards because the water was too deep, so I took an exit.
All the Chinese businesses still open with customers, no hurricane stopping their paper chase.

Glad to see that the  Tropical Storm didn't do much damage to NYC.
laugh.gif

On a serious note, glad you all are ok..

Ksteezy, hope the wife made through ok.

Reporting live from eastern long island There's no power out here a tree just fell in my yardAnd someone ate the last of the lucky charmsIn other words *^%# is real over here This is Sammietheboss reporting live back to u Niketalk

only on NT is a hurricane buns, be happy your basement isnt flooded. Thank God thats all it was, makes me wonder if the ppl talking @*%+ live in homes and own cars or just have apartments

Just picked her up from her parents house by Yankee stadium and we made our way back to Yonkers, the Bronx River is flooded even by my exit....the Deegan still pretty good except by the dip right before the 233rd exit I believe...huge pooling developing there....ksteezy reporting live from the Bronx/Yonkers border back to you marmourjr.

Just woke up. Broadway looks empty but it's fine. No flooding up here and no downed trees or tree branches. You can hear the wind some but that happens during the winter as well. It's enough to destroy an umbrella but I doubt any structural damage will occur. I'm going to head out a little later after I eat breakfast.

I find it ridiculous that the weather people on tv are out and about but during their reports they warn against going outside or chastise other people for being out there as if they, as weather reporters, are some kind of trained professionals in terms of hurricane survival.

nyc. cops kicked everyone out of the bar at like 11:30 last night, weak. walking home this morning saw some downed tree branches but the rain ain't bad

It was not to bad here. (Alexandria, VA) Just a lot of tree branches everywhere.

I have some friends in NJ saying they are getting evacuated right now(on 10th St.) They are saying they flooding is knee high,
and rising.

Be safe out there.

Not in any flood zones so its pretty good here, coastal areas got hit hard though esp Long Beach, Rockaways, etc 
sick.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by timbo109

I find it ridiculous that the weather people on tv are out and about but during their reports they warn against going outside or chastise other people for being out there as if they, as weather reporters, are some kind of trained professionals in terms of hurricane survival.

its their job to be out there reporting, would you appreciate the weather update from inside a room somewhere with them giving you assumptions of whats going on? i swear some of yall are....
tired.gif

Originally Posted by alleyzonjay

its their job to be out there reporting, would you appreciate the weather update from inside a room somewhere with them giving you assumptions of whats going on? i swear some of yall are....
tired.gif
All i need to do is look out my window to see what's going on. 

Originally Posted by alleyzonjay

tired.gif
they're more out there for ratings than they are for reporting.....

we're good in flushing just a little wind and rain. Haven't heard from family in Rockaway they're supposed to be getting raped over there

Back
Top Bottom