eBay changes FVFs to include shipping. No more $200 shipping quotes

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Welleventually, items going for a "steal" price will become scarce. Iintroduced my cousin to eBay last year. He sold mostly cell phone itemsand electronics. Not even 5 months into selling, he gave up.  He didn'tproduce enough profit to continue going out buying supplies, driving tothe post office, waiting for his funds to be deposited into hisaccount, etc. After that 5 month ordeal, he pretty much broke even.
Yea you're right, I guess in the big picture seller hardships affect me more than I realized as I've seen the bolded  start to happen even just over the last year or two.

Yeah, that's the main reason why I'm mad as a seller. I'd be more than willing to sell at a lower price if it wasn't for the fact that fees were so ridiculous, and now this new policy is just pissing on the grave already. That and the double dipping that goes with paypal just makes it worse. I offer free shipping, but the price is adjusted to reflect that, because most buyers get caught up in the fact of "$20 shipping? Hell no!" when they don't realize is that I'd offer a lower price with shipping, they just get caught up at the numbers but don't do the math. That's the result of ebay's marketing of 'a safer place for buyers', their angle is to just make it into another retail location, when a majority of the sellers are just selling odds and ends, not trying to run a business. But they don't give a 
grin.gif
so long as they get their money. If you look at the prices that sellers list on ebay, you can figure that a good ~15% doesn't even see their hands. And for people that are just trying to sell stuff to get rid of? A lot of times it's not even worth it because the fees and shipping could end up costing more than what you even get, I've simply given a bunch of stuff to goodwill because the fees and shipping just wasn't worth it.

Originally Posted by 430AM

Those absurd shipping fees used to get me HEATED... Like I'll see some BIN V's for like $15 BUY IT NOW and then when I click into the auction shipping is like $650. 
sick.gif
laugh.gif

I'm glad eBay is changing it up... If you're gonna use their site you should abide by the rules, terms and conditions. It was only a matter of time before eBay put an end to this "LOOPHOLE".

But if they sold it for full price with free shipping, I'm pretty sure they'd be charging even more because of the increased final value fees. You have to look at the total cost, 'free shipping' could easily be a 10% swing in price. Is it really worth it just so you can see 'free shipping' next to the auction?

people will stop stealing on eBay soon because it won't be worth it when they take 20% from you and people aren't getting proper value

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

I love seeing these sellers cry. LOL at 'ebay is on it's way out.'

Buyers reign supreme
pimp.gif

The thing is that you'll probably eventually sell some of your stuff. Its just a natural progression of a sneakerhead.

That's why Craigslist >>> Ebay

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

I love seeing these sellers cry. LOL at 'ebay is on it's way out.'

Buyers reign supreme
pimp.gif

The thing is that you'll probably eventually sell some of your stuff. Its just a natural progression of a sneakerhead.

That's why Craigslist >>> Ebay
Yeah, if you can find someone in your area that's the right size and that'll buy it. Not saying that it won't happen, but it does make things a little tougher. That's why ebay has such a stranglehold on the market with these fees. I'm hoping that (among many other things in the world) that a capable competitor (with the same capabilities) appears and actually creates an actual market with competitive pricing. Then again, we do have a black president, so who knows?

Those absurd shipping fees used to get me HEATED... Like I'll see some BIN V's for like $15 BUY IT NOW and then when I click into the auction shipping is like $650. 
sick.gif
laugh.gif

I'm glad eBay is changing it up... If you're gonna use their site you should abide by the rules, terms and conditions. It was only a matter of time before eBay put an end to this "LOOPHOLE".

This^ in my auctions I always use free shipping, attracts more buyers imo anyways, I havent even been checking ebay because like someone said earlier there hasnt been any steals whatsoever and thats whats fun about ebay. Oh well its great if your selling your Bred Xis or Space jams and they reach rediculous prices sometimes (seen CDP Xi DS go for $375 no lie smh last week) but im kinda glad they put an end to this madness. NikeTalk>Craigslist> Ebay for buying and selling kicks imo lately. Mods do a underated and great job handling the B/S threads here which makes it funner to buy and sell here than any other place...

the biggest problem comes from eBay's absurd fee hiking in the past 5 years:

If you sell something for $100 you pretty much end up seeing about $80 of that $100, that's why you rarely see auctions anymore and everything is fixed price, the steals you used to get on eBay rarely happen because when eBay used to get like $5 for a $100 item sold it worked for BOTH THE BUYER AND THE SELLER but now it's just a buyer's market.

eBay is really moving away from being an auction site which will be their ultimate demise, look through some fixed cost items, you will see they have been on there for months.

the point of an auction site is to quick sell something at the actual market value and eBay now contradicts their own history

I HATE EBAY...end of rant

we've had this discussion before, but i still don't see how a $200 shipping quote hurts the OP. companies (retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers) build huge margins into their prices all the time to cushion the cost of doing business. if buyers are willing to pay, what's the problem?  
i hate the hypocrisy; not of the OP, but of ebay.  they act like they're doing this "for the buyer".  they're doing it for their cotdamn selves. instead of figuring out a way to control shipping charges assessed to the customers, they've decided they'll take their cut instead.  "Why enforce rules we already have on the books, when we can make money off new ones???"  

it would be really nice if a credible company like google or amazon (!!!!!!) stepped into the breach.  amazon especially.

lol you guys are hilarious thinking ebay will go under. That will NEVER happen, they have millions of users who don't even care about the fee's let alone really notice them. 100,000 sellers quit, there will just be 100,00 more coming. That being said if you don't like it, you could always use the SAFE and trusted craigslist....sarcasm. Sure it's a crappy policy but they know people will continue to use it.

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

lol you guys are hilarious thinking ebay will go under. That will NEVER happen, they have millions of users who don't even care about the fee's let alone really notice them. 100,000 sellers quit, there will just be 100,00 more coming. That being said if you don't like it, you could always use the SAFE and trusted craigslist....sarcasm. Sure it's a crappy policy but they know people will continue to use it.

is this the CEO of Blockbuster talking?

sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 at you really thinking someones going to sell some bin v's for $650

od final value fees = less steals and deals on ebay and less incentive for sellers to list on ebay.

as a buyer i want to spend the least amount of money possible   so i rather do a buy it now on some shoes that have a $1 buy it now and $199 shipping     then someone who wants to make that same amount but plays by the rules and lists the same item for  $220 with $10 shipping.

as a seller, i could care less about some big corporation giving me the shaft so i want to maximize profits while minimizng fees because it's in MY best interest to do so.  if ebay cracks down on me  which they haven't then no hard feelings towards them because I broke the rules but if I can explolit loopholes to my benifit, you better believe im going to do it.

aside from that,  i had to fight tooth and nail with ebay over them putting payments on hold until the buyer received the items i was selling and i had to fight them over them limiting how much stuff i could list.  dudes working for ebay got super heated when i asked them if they go to best buy, tell the employees they were going to take a laptop home then pay bestbuy the money for the laptop after they were happy with it or after 21 days,   i also told them that i was just going to refund the $1,500 on hold in my paypal for a bunch of items to the buyers and either cancel the transaction or offer the buyer a discount to pay me via google checkout or money order. 

ebays employees are clowns,  when i was going through everything to get those limitations fixed which i successfully did after raising hell, i would ask them why ebay only caters to buyers and why buyers could flake on me and i can't leave them a negative feedback yet they can do whatever to sabatoge my name and i never got a straight answer when i would ask that question.

^

HAHA

While I hate Google I would definitely welcome them as an alternative. Unless Google or Yahoo, someone with an established internet brand, decides to take these fools on we are all stuck.

These seller fees make it hard for the average person to even do their spring cleaning which I used to do. I think I'd rather donate some old clothes, shoes and what not rather than sell something on ebay and put all that effort into listing and shipping only to feed their huge machine.

What are their fixed costs? Servers? IT people? How have they grown that much that their fees are justified jumping so much? I used to be a power seller, but not anymore.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

od final value fees = less steals and deals on ebay and less incentive for sellers to list on ebay.

as a buyer i want to spend the least amount of money possible   so i rather do a buy it now on some shoes that have a $1 buy it now and $199 shipping     then someone who wants to make that same amount but plays by the rules and lists the same item for  $220 with $10 shipping.

as a seller, i could care less about some big corporation giving me the shaft so i want to maximize profits while minimizng fees because it's in MY best interest to do so.  if ebay cracks down on me  which they haven't then no hard feelings towards them because I broke the rules but if I can explolit loopholes to my benifit, you better believe im going to do it.

aside from that,  i had to fight tooth and nail with ebay over them putting payments on hold until the buyer received the items i was selling and i had to fight them over them limiting how much stuff i could list.  dudes working for ebay got super heated when i asked them if they go to best buy, tell the employees they were going to take a laptop home then pay bestbuy the money for the laptop after they were happy with it or after 21 days,   i also told them that i was just going to refund the $1,500 on hold in my paypal for a bunch of items to the buyers and either cancel the transaction or offer the buyer a discount to pay me via google checkout or money order. 

ebays employees are clowns,  when i was going through everything to get those limitations fixed which i successfully did after raising hell, i would ask them why ebay only caters to buyers and why buyers could flake on me and i can't leave them a negative feedback yet they can do whatever to sabatoge my name and i never got a straight answer when i would ask that question.
Nah I feel you man... I get where you're coming from.

Yeah I buy on ebay alot and it sucks knowing that some sellers are charging what they are charging because of seller fees. I look at the price of some Buy It Nows and I'm like "Damn, I know I can get these for $20 less if it weren't for the damn fees..."  

EDIT:

I think if and when eBay reaches the 30% mark for sellers fees then I'm Done... I'll just do what I always wanted and open a storefront. Cause real talk... I pay ebay about $500 a month on ebay fees. Add a couple hundred bucks to those fees and it would probably cost the same as a monthly lease on a storefront.    

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I can tell by your numerous complaints in this thread you are butthurt by ebay, I'm not saying I like them or support them it's just being real.  The common user doesn't sit and complain about the fee's so please explain how they will shut down?  Because a bunch of niketalkers are mad they can't sell/get shoes for a good price?  Cmon.  Sure google could make an auction site but whats to stop them from adding fee's?  Any huge company is going to try to make money off everything they can, may not be as ridiculous as ebay but you can bet there will be fee's.

It's not just about the shoes, it's about every and anything that gets sold on ebay. These policies punish the people that only sell a few things here and there just to get rid of stuff and get some money back the most. It gives very little incentive to sell anything unless there's a very high resale value on it. Buyers may not complain about the fees, but they do notice the prices.

And I have no problem with going to another service being offered and having to pay fees, the issue is how large the fees are. That's why the introduction of similar services would be good, because it would force more competitive pricing since they know that they're not the only kid on the block anymore.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I can tell by your numerous complaints in this thread you are butthurt by ebay, I'm not saying I like them or support them it's just being real.  The common user doesn't sit and complain about the fee's so please explain how they will shut down?  Because a bunch of niketalkers are mad they can't sell/get shoes for a good price?  Cmon.  Sure google could make an auction site but whats to stop them from adding fee's?  Any huge company is going to try to make money off everything they can, may not be as ridiculous as ebay but you can bet there will be fee's.
I'm not butthurt, I speak the truth you are just ignorant to the fact that eBay is fraudulent
no +#!+ companies are in the business to make money but Google is smart enough to see eBay is failing, eBay was doing much better before they started changing policies and charging ridic. fees so your argument is already flawed  

and the common user is just that someone who buys a few things a year or sells a few things a year, that isn't enough to keep a business afloat...eBay is regressing not expanding 

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Nah I feel you man... I get where you're coming from.

Yeah I buy on ebay alot and it sucks knowing that some sellers are charging what they are charging because of seller fees. I look at the price of some Buy It Nows and I'm like "Damn, I know I can get these for $20 less if it weren't for the damn fees..."  

the way i see it is  the low buy it now and high shipping works for both parties when it's done right.    some sellers wanna have their cake and eat it too,  save on the fees while listing an od price and their stuff sits,  but the sellers who list at a fair price while making their money and allowing the buyer to cop for a reasonable price do it right for both people.

what i've done with sellers in the past who have something i want  with a normal buy it now, is message them explaining how the $1 auction with the rest of the money in shipping works, i break it down to them and tell them to edit the auction for me so that they make more then they originally would while i pay less then i originally would.  most of the time when i explain it to them  their willing to do it.

with my auctions  lately  i've been putting in bold writting 
"I'll consider working deals if we can deal outside of ebay and will offer deals to local buyers"   just to avoid some of the b.s that comes with ebay.

ok so what about international shipping if a buyers rate for shipping is $40+ (calculated on ebay no funny stuff) on some shoes the buyer will pay fees on that $40 even if the shoes sold are less that $100?

if so thats a damn shame and they may as well get rid of international selling!

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

ok so what about international shipping if a buyers rate for shipping is $40+ (calculated on ebay no funny stuff) on some shoes the buyer will pay fees on that $40 even if the shoes sold are less that $100?

i block international buyers from bidding on my items,   if they really want to bid  they can contact me.   i've had too many bad expierences with them complaining about shipping costs and the fact that it's easier for things to go bad when selling overseas  i tend to avoid selling anywhere outside of the U.S

Customers reign supreme? How about my CHOICE as a buyer is at an alltime LOW. Almost nothing is worth buying on there. Or there is a lack of variety. I dont care about all these big time sellers listing 20 listings for one shoe in various sizes. Thats not variety.

They've killed BINs and now this.

The only thing left right now are starting auctions at where you want them to end, and then ENDING IT EARLY.. Will they do away with that next?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Customers reign supreme? How about my CHOICE as a buyer is at an alltime LOW. Almost nothing is worth buying on there. Or there is a lack of variety. I dont care about all these big time sellers listing 20 listings for one shoe in various sizes. Thats not variety.

They've killed BINs and now this.

The only thing left right now are starting auctions at where you want them to end, and then ENDING IT EARLY.. Will they do away with that next?

I have 100+ on my watch list
laugh.gif
it's all relative. Every time eBay makes a policy change people have said that's the end of them yet they're still here. And there are other venues out there for selling with lower fees. People don't want to use them though because of lack of traffic. They want the cake and eating of said cake but eBay can do as they wish, no one says you have to use them. If it comes down to selling an item on eBay for a little less or not having it sell at all, I'll take eBay any day. Gotta pay to play.

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

I ship internationally by USPS express and usually charge $45 for it, the cost of shipping takes up most of that, and a couple of dollars are left to touch fees. The cost of the shoes is unrelated to the cost of shipping for international transactions. If you buy a pair of shoes for 20 bucks, it's still gonna cost around ~38 dollars give or take to ship it internationally. No way would anyone do free shipping for that, you're better off just taking them outside and lighting them on fire. But if buyers contact me personally, I'm more than willing to make an arrangement, which will be rendered moot with these new fee policies.

And WallyHopp, that's my exactly my point. ebay claims that these policies are for the 'buyer's benefit' when it puts a stranglehold on the market. They just want a bigger piece of the pie and they don't care about how it affects anyone.

Back
Top Bottom