eBay changes FVFs to include shipping. No more $200 shipping quotes

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Customers reign supreme? How about my CHOICE as a buyer is at an alltime LOW. Almost nothing is worth buying on there. Or there is a lack of variety. I dont care about all these big time sellers listing 20 listings for one shoe in various sizes. Thats not variety.

They've killed BINs and now this.

The only thing left right now are starting auctions at where you want them to end, and then ENDING IT EARLY.. Will they do away with that next?

I have 100+ on my watch list
laugh.gif
it's all relative. Every time eBay makes a policy change people have said that's the end of them yet they're still here. And there are other venues out there for selling with lower fees. People don't want to use them though because of lack of traffic. They want the cake and eating of said cake but eBay can do as they wish, no one says you have to use them. If it comes down to selling an item on eBay for a little less or not having it sell at all, I'll take eBay any day. Gotta pay to play.
you don't seem to understand business along with some other folks in this thread
eBay has been steadily declining while other places take their business, this is a trend no business wants...your goal is not to simply stay in business it is to grow and eBay has been declining steadily

Customers reign supreme? How about my CHOICE as a buyer is at an alltime LOW. Almost nothing is worth buying on there. Or there is a lack of variety. I dont care about all these big time sellers listing 20 listings for one shoe in various sizes. Thats not variety.

The only thing left right now are starting auctions at where you want them to end, and then ENDING IT EARLY.. Will they do away with that next?

laugh.gif
it's all relative. Every time eBay makes a policy change people have said that's the end of them yet they're still here. And there are other venues out there for selling with lower fees. People don't want to use them though because of lack of traffic. They want the cake and eating of said cake but eBay can do as they wish, no one says you have to use them. If it comes down to selling an item on eBay for a little less or not having it sell at all, I'll take eBay any day. Gotta pay to play.
you don't seem to understand business along with some other folks in this thread
eBay has been steadily declining while other places take their business, this is a trend no business wants...your goal is not to simply stay in business it is to grow and eBay has been declining steadily

That's eBays prerogative. I still gain from using their site as a buyer and seller, but as a seller they're my last resort
wink.gif
if someone has serious objections with their business practices they should not continue to use them. Like I said they're not the only venue that bases fees on total selling price though so it's not a totally unusual policy. If they go under it won't be the end of my world either. And there's trade offs as well. I'll take lower BIN fees, I always had it listed as free shipping anyways.

That's eBays prerogative. I still gain from using their site as a buyer and seller, but as a seller they're my last resort
wink.gif
if someone has serious objections with their business practices they should not continue to use them. Like I said they're not the only venue that bases fees on total selling price though so it's not a totally unusual policy. If they go under it won't be the end of my world either. And there's trade offs as well. I'll take lower BIN fees, I always had it listed as free shipping anyways.

The rates haven't changed for fixed price listings. Only for auctions with BINs.

WOW!. They changed the FVF cap of $50 to $100 on auction style listings.. That's brutal for the big ticket items above. Anything ending above $560 bucks, used to garner in the same FVF fee of $50.. Now anything above that, you pay that 9% all the way to the bank... That just may be the end of AUCTION STYLE auctions on big ticket items

Originally Posted by airbornho

wink.gif

The rates haven't changed for fixed price listings. Only for auctions with BINs.

Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.

Originally Posted by jerry6d

They lost me as a seller when you couldn't leave buyers negative feedback anymore.
yup one of my main reasons for closing my account
I had a guy win a pair of Jordan's 3 weeks ago and then he didn't pay and was trying to get me to lower the price after he won them for $210, I refused and told that is not how it works. He left me negative feedback, I had to fight with eBay to have it removed which is ridic.

how can you even be allowed to leave feedback for something you haven't paid for?

I would guess about 20% of eBay auctions end in non paying bidders

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

is this the CEO of Blockbuster talking?
I can tell by your numerous complaints in this thread you are butthurt by ebay, I'm not saying I like them or support them it's just being real.  The common user doesn't sit and complain about the fee's so please explain how they will shut down?  Because a bunch of niketalkers are mad they can't sell/get shoes for a good price?  Cmon.  Sure google could make an auction site but whats to stop them from adding fee's?  Any huge company is going to try to make money off everything they can, may not be as ridiculous as ebay but you can bet there will be fee's.
I'm not butthurt, I speak the truth you are just ignorant to the fact that eBay is fraudulent
no +#!+ companies are in the business to make money but Google is smart enough to see eBay is failing, eBay was doing much better before they started changing policies and charging ridic. fees so your argument is already flawed  

and the common user is just that someone who buys a few things a year or sells a few things a year, that isn't enough to keep a business afloat...eBay is regressing not expanding 
You say things as if they're fact but can you back up your claims?

I did some math on the new FVF fees on FIXED style

It used to be 12% on first $50 then 9%...

Now it is 10% and 8%.

If an item ends at $50 plus $15 shipping, they used to only take a percentage from the $50. That would be $6 bucks in fees
Now they take a total percentage of $65. So you have 10% on the first $50, then 8% on $15, or $6.20.

This new method has you paying a few nickels more on Fixed style auctions (assuming you are not a store account). For a $85 dollar item plus $15 shipping, I think you paid like 40 cents more.. It's an increase alright.
---------------

My best method used to be having a starting price where you want it and just do auction style. You will pay $1 dollar to start instead of 50 cents. But in the end, you will be paying a flat 9% across the board vs. 12% and 9%...

But now that I think about it, 9% across the board on a $50 dollar item plus $15 shipping, used to be just $4.50. Now you are looking at 9% on $65.. $5.85.. That final auction value FEE INCREASE is STAGGERING. $5.85 would still be cheaper than $6.20 for fixed, but with $.50 more in insertion fees, you are looking at maybe saving only 35 cents...

I'm not sure what method I will do now... Theyve ruined any sort of edge I had and now the BUYERS will pay. I wont take a LOSS. They will just pay more

Originally Posted by airbornho

wink.gif

Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.

I was looking at the chart that they had here: http://pages.ebay.com/sel.../news/feeupdate2011.html
Fixed Price Fees – Standard and Stores
Effective July 6, 2011

[table][tr][td]Selling Price[/td][td]All Other Categories[/td][td]Electronics and Computers*[/td][td]CSA and P&A[/td][td]Media[/td][/tr][tr][td]Item not sold[/td][td]No fee[/td][td]No fee[/td][td]No fee[/td][td]No fee[/td][/tr][tr][td]$0.01 - $50.00[/td][td]11% of the closing value[/td][td]7%[/td][td]10%[/td][td]13%[/td][/tr][tr][td]$50.00 - $1000.00[/td][td]11% of the initial $50.00, plus 6% of the remaining closing value balance ($50.01 to $1,000.00)[/td][td]7%

5%[/td][td]10%

8%[/td][td]13%

5%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Equal to or Over $1000.01[/td][td]11% of the initial $50.00, plus 6% of the initial $50.01 - $1,000.00 plus 2.0% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value)[/td][td]7%

5%

2%[/td][td]10%

8%

2%[/td][td]13%

5%

2%[/td][/tr][/table]
If I'm wrong, then it's possible to just set up recurring auctions with the starting price being the exact same as the BIN price. I'll just do whichever results in the lower fees.

Wow, I just bought a pair of shoes through private auction where the seller put the entire amount in the shipping too.  
laugh.gif

He saved a crap load on fees.  

What I do like about the new changes is this:

New eBay Shopping Cart lets buyers add items, both Auction and Fixed Price, from multiple sellers and pay in one easy checkout—making it fast and easy to buy more with each visit.s.

EBay's been dead why sell to give eBay and PayPal all your profit? Its my auction ill charge you how much I want for shipping. If you don't like it don't bid. Its that simple.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

I can tell by your numerous complaints in this thread you are butthurt by ebay, I'm not saying I like them or support them it's just being real.  The common user doesn't sit and complain about the fee's so please explain how they will shut down?  Because a bunch of niketalkers are mad they can't sell/get shoes for a good price?  Cmon.  Sure google could make an auction site but whats to stop them from adding fee's?  Any huge company is going to try to make money off everything they can, may not be as ridiculous as ebay but you can bet there will be fee's.
I'm not butthurt, I speak the truth you are just ignorant to the fact that eBay is fraudulent
no +#!+ companies are in the business to make money but Google is smart enough to see eBay is failing, eBay was doing much better before they started changing policies and charging ridic. fees so your argument is already flawed  

and the common user is just that someone who buys a few things a year or sells a few things a year, that isn't enough to keep a business afloat...eBay is regressing not expanding 

do your own research it's not that hard, I have been selling on eBay since 1998 so I'm well versed in eBay and their changes 
I'll give you a little help http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2009/tc20090121_143541.htm

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Wow, I just bought a pair of shoes through private auction where the seller put the entire amount in the shipping too.  
laugh.gif

He saved a crap load on fees.  

What I do like about the new changes is this:

New eBay Shopping Cart lets buyers add items, both Auction and Fixed Price, from multiple sellers and pay in one easy checkout—making it fast and easy to buy more with each visit.s.

sick.gif
, I missed that when I was reading. No wonder they're restructuring things like that. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the implications of that one yet. But at first glace they're working really hard to copy Amazon marketplace.

laugh.gif
so are you a successful (and by successful, i mean profitable) ebay seller? 

do your own research it's not that hard, I have been selling on eBay since 1998 so I'm well versed in eBay and their changes 
I'll give you a little help http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2009/tc20090121_143541.htm

A simple google search isn't exactly research but thanks.

FYI that article was written at the lowest point of a downward skid. In the two years since eBay has been trending upwards.

You're delusional if you think eBay is going  out of business in the near future but I don't think you actually believe that, it must be your emotions talking.

I mean.......This will keep all of these guys from doin $10 buy it now then $200 for shipping to get around the ebay fees. But it will also make people charge more for shipping to make up for it.

Its still profitable to sell on ebay depending on the item you are selling.

For example, i just sold 4 pair of pearl foamposite Pro`s on ebay...........after shipping/ebay and paypal fees and the amount i paid for the shoes.....i made a total of about $150-$160.

I payed about $15-$20 for each transaction and $5-$8 in paypal fees and $9-$14 for shipping

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

I mean.......This will keep all of these guys from doin $10 buy it now then $200 for shipping to get around the ebay fees. But it will also make people charge more for shipping to make up for it.

For example, i just sold 4 pair of pearl foamposite Pro`s on ebay...........after shipping/ebay and paypal fees and the amount i paid for the shoes.....i made a total of about $150-$160.

I payed about $15-$20 for each transaction and $5-$8 in paypal fees and $9-$14 for shipping
Yup, pretty much.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

That's fine for the items with a high resale value. But where it really hurts is if you're selling small items (clearing up space in the house) with little to no resale value. Now that they'll be taking a bigger cut of shipping costs (paypal already does take a cut), the hit becomes even bigger.

FYI that article was written at the lowest point of a downward skid. In the two years since eBay has been trending upwards.

You're delusional if you think eBay is going  out of business in the near future but I don't think you actually believe that, it must be your emotions talking.

do you work for eBay or something? eBay will never be back to the point they once were at, they are trying to be Amazon right now because they've screwed up their original mission so bad.

eBay tried to really take advantage of their sellers and now auctions are so minimal on the site...the only reason all this $1.00 auctions with $200 shipping even started happening is their ridic. fee hikes.

eBay is treading water right now and if you can't see that you are the delusional one, so what they had a gain in the last year? before that their sales were down around 32% since 2006.  A gain in one year does not make up for that, people have continued to move to Amazon and Craigslist.  eBay is scrammbling to stop the bleeding and it's their own fault for their greed.

^ I agree with you. I bought multiple pairs of sneakers in the past to resell on ebay and i was loving the profit.

Ever since they changed their policy, and craiglist came around, i started using craiglist more and more often.

Sure i was weary at first, because it was still relatively new. And im not going to lie, things weren't moving as smooth as it was on ebay....BUT that was before the buyers were aware of craiglist......

....now, more buyers are checking craiglist more and more often! And guess what, i was able to move all 6 entourage lebron 8 within a week at average of $220 meet up a pop! (That same week they were sitting on ebay for $25 plus $220 shipping
laugh.gif
 with NO buyer/watcher on all 6 auctions)

Ppl may think buyers reign supreme. Thats not how it works! Because as far as the fees go, they are gonna get bumped down to, guess who? The buyers! Ebay makes sellers pay more, sellers make buyers pay that difference! With the buyers not wanting to pay for the high prices, comes with the saturation of the sellers, results in less and less business for ebay.

do you work for eBay or something? eBay will never be back to the point they once were at, they are trying to be Amazon right now because they've screwed up their original mission so bad.

eBay tried to really take advantage of their sellers and now auctions are so minimal on the site...the only reason all this $1.00 auctions with $200 shipping even started happening is their ridic. fee hikes.

eBay is treading water right now and if you can't see that you are the delusional one, so what they had a gain in the last year? before that their sales were down around 32% since 2006.  A gain in one year does not make up for that, people have continued to move to Amazon and Craigslist.  eBay is scrammbling to stop the bleeding and it's their own fault for their greed.
Ham city is delusional if he doesn't know that paypal now accounts for 37% of ebay's revenue.  ebay is not going out of business tomorrow, but they aren't making profits like they were before. 

Back
Top Bottom