eBay changes FVFs to include shipping. No more $200 shipping quotes

Originally Posted by airbornho

mad.gif
This is only going to make selling on ebay more ridiculous. It's bad enough that you can't leave negative feedback for buyers. Now they're trying to get a cut of shipping too? They're already double dipping with paypal.

I'm gonna slowly stop selling on eBay. I've already slowed down tremendously in the last 18 months. 

Nah I don't work for eBay.

I actually agree with your personal gripes and I can understand why you're upset as you're literally watching a corporation take money out of your pockets. You just don't seem to know what you're talking about from a financial perspective.

"treading water"

"scrambling to stop the bleeding"

"it's only a matter of time before they go under"

These are statements that I think you vaguely understand, they're hyperbole at best and ramblings from a babbling fool at worst.
Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

Ham city is delusional if he doesn't know that paypal now accounts for 37% of ebay's revenue.  ebay is not going out of business tomorrow, but they aren't making profits like they were before. 

You didn't link to a source so I have no idea if you even understand the context of those numbers, and care to mention how not knowing that makes me delusional in anyway?
laugh.gif

I don't mean to be offensive but since talking out the +@+ seems to be a revolving theme in this  thread, what's your basis when you say "they aren't making profits like before," (I only ask because Yahoo! Finance only seems to list income statements going back to 2008 and I'm legitimately curious now but don't have time to delve much deeper).

Originally Posted by NiPxD

^ I agree with you. I bought multiple pairs of sneakers in the past to resell on ebay and i was loving the profit.

Ever since they changed their policy, and craiglist came around, i started using craiglist more and more often.

Sure i was weary at first, because it was still relatively new. And im not going to lie, things weren't moving as smooth as it was on ebay....BUT that was before the buyers were aware of craiglist......

....now, more buyers are checking craiglist more and more often! And guess what, i was able to move all 6 entourage lebron 8 within a week at average of $220 meet up a pop! (That same week they were sitting on ebay for $25 plus $220 shipping
laugh.gif
 with NO buyer/watcher on all 6 auctions)

Ppl may think buyers reign supreme. Thats not how it works! Because as far as the fees go, they are gonna get bumped down to, guess who? The buyers! Ebay makes sellers pay more, sellers make buyers pay that difference! With the buyers not wanting to pay for the high prices, comes with the saturation of the sellers, results in less and less business for ebay.
Poetry

eBay pushed their sellers away on purpose (I know some power hungry executive came up with this idea) thinking that sellers didn't have a choice but now they do (Craigslist, Amazon, etc) and eBay lost many, many sellers who won't come back.  Now the ones who still do are trying anything to make up for the ridic. amounts of fees charged so in turn now those sellers will move onto other mediums. 

Bottom line:  eBay tried to make it a buyers market and really take advantage of their sellers and now they are losing buyers because sellers won't sell what they can sell on other sites for more money and less fees.  The demise of eBay started 5 years ago, the ONLY way to it back is to go back to their roots, lower fees and have much more people list but they won't because they are an arrogant corporate entity now, the mom and pop feel is long gone.

Originally Posted by raptors29

mad.gif
This is only going to make selling on ebay more ridiculous. It's bad enough that you can't leave negative feedback for buyers. Now they're trying to get a cut of shipping too? They're already double dipping with paypal.

I'm gonna slowly stop selling on eBay. I've already slowed down tremendously in the last 18 months. 

I keep saying that too, but for me it's been:

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I actually agree with your personal gripes and I can understand why you're upset as you're literally watching a corporation take money out of your pockets. You just don't seem to know what you're talking about from a financial perspective.

"treading water"

These are statements that I think you vaguely understand, they're hyperbole at best and ramblings from a babbling fool at worst.
laugh.gif
trying to sound educated doesn't make you right, you're a fool if you think you have a clue what you are talking about.

so from a financial standpoint losing customers year after year is a good thing?  Now I'm confused why businesses go under? 

Originally Posted by StillIn729

"treading water"

laugh.gif
trying to sound educated doesn't make you right, you're a fool if you think you have a clue what you are talking about.

so from a financial standpoint losing customers year after year is a good thing?  Now I'm confused why businesses go under? 
laugh.gif
Son it's not like I've made some profound claims or something, I just pointed out the faults in yours.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

I mean.......This will keep all of these guys from doin $10 buy it now then $200 for shipping to get around the ebay fees. But it will also make people charge more for shipping to make up for it.

Its still profitable to sell on ebay depending on the item you are selling.

For example, i just sold 4 pair of pearl foamposite Pro`s on ebay...........after shipping/ebay and paypal fees and the amount i paid for the shoes.....i made a total of about $150-$160.

I payed about $15-$20 for each transaction and $5-$8 in paypal fees and $9-$14 for shipping
That's fine for the items with a high resale value. But where it really hurts is if you're selling small items (clearing up space in the house) with little to no resale value. Now that they'll be taking a bigger cut of shipping costs (paypal already does take a cut), the hit becomes even bigger.

But if you are selling items THAT small, you should just post them on craigslist and sell it locally for free.    In the same breath, if you are making money for something thats just sitting around the house, why does it matter how much you make............something is better than nothing. (Unless you can get more locally)

mad.gif

I have, I went from selling roughly 50+ items a month on eBay for about 10 years to about 50 per year in the last 4-5 years.

eBay calls me at least 5 times a year asking me what they can do to make me sell more items again and every time I tell them go back to the grass roots that made eBay what it was, I finally had enough last month when a non paying bidder left me negative feedback and I had to jump through hoops to remove it, took about two weeks of phone calls and emails.  My accounts are closed as of my next invoice, they say they need a letter in writing to close your account, I was like yeah ok
laugh.gif
close it or I'll call my aunt who works for a major law firm, they instantly waived that little clause. 

I mean.......This will keep all of these guys from doin $10 buy it now then $200 for shipping to get around the ebay fees. But it will also make people charge more for shipping to make up for it.

Its still profitable to sell on ebay depending on the item you are selling.

For example, i just sold 4 pair of pearl foamposite Pro`s on ebay...........after shipping/ebay and paypal fees and the amount i paid for the shoes.....i made a total of about $150-$160.

I payed about $15-$20 for each transaction and $5-$8 in paypal fees and $9-$14 for shipping
That's fine for the items with a high resale value. But where it really hurts is if you're selling small items (clearing up space in the house) with little to no resale value. Now that they'll be taking a bigger cut of shipping costs (paypal already does take a cut), the hit becomes even bigger.

But if you are selling items THAT small, you should just post them on craigslist and sell it locally for free.    In the same breath, if you are making money for something thats just sitting around the house, why does it matter how much you make............something is better than nothing. (Unless you can get more locally)
That's what I do, I'm just talking about what used to be the average ebay seller. And craigslist is dependent on being in an area where there's a large market for whatever you're selling. In trying to be like a retail spot, ebay is overlooking what used to be their foundation.

"treading water"

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Son it's not like I've made some profound claims or something, I just pointed out the faults in yours.
you didn't point out any faults, you just avoid my valid points to focus on statements in my own context

how is losing customers year after year good financially?  still waiting

eBay just settled a lawsuit and paid $30 million in a settlement they didn't want going to court for overcharged fees, does that go towards end of year profits?  I need a financial guru such as yourself to help me out. 

mad.gif

I have, I went from selling roughly 50+ items a month on eBay for about 10 years to about 50 per year in the last 4-5 years.

eBay calls me at least 5 times a year asking me what they can do to make me sell more items again and every time I tell them go back to the grass roots that made eBay what it was, I finally had enough last month when a non paying bidder left me negative feedback and I had to jump through hoops to remove it, took about two weeks of phone calls and emails.  My accounts are closed as of my next invoice, they say they need a letter in writing to close your account, I was like yeah ok
laugh.gif
close it or I'll call my aunt who works for a major law firm, they instantly waived that little clause. 

what do u mean close your account,,?? like a regular account or do you have a store account?

Originally Posted by zapatito007

laugh.gif

what do u mean close your account,,?? like a regular account or do you have a store account?

regular account, I closed my store account years ago on a different user name.  They try to use a written letter as a sales tactic because they think the average person won't write the letter because it's a hassle and will eventually start using their account again.  It's a simple sales tactic they don't think any half educated person won't see right through. 

That's what I do, I'm just talking about what used to be the average ebay seller. And craigslist is dependent on being in an area where there's a large market for whatever you're selling. In trying to be like a retail spot, ebay is overlooking what used to be their foundation.
True.......but tell me what company you know doesnt end up doing that at some point when they get big like Ebay?
I might look into amazon, but i dont know how well they sell shoes or how much their fees are.

True.......but tell me what company you know doesnt end up doing that at some point when they get big like Ebay?
I might look into amazon, but i dont know how well they sell shoes or how much their fees are.
You have a point with that, and I'm not disagreeing with you. It's still messed up though. I feel guilty sometimes when I sell old stuff I'm getting rid of at an inflated price just so I can make it worthwhile with the fees, when I'd be more than happy to sell it for less. But it's all in the game in the end so long as there's people willing to buy.

I'm sure you can post shoes and the fees will be lower, but I'm sure most people that shop on Amazon don't look for kicks in that kind of way. The traffic on ebay is where they have everyone by the sack. But if you do, let me know how it goes, I'm definitely open to options.

"treading water"

Ham city is delusional if he doesn't know that paypal now accounts for 37% of ebay's revenue.  ebay is not going out of business tomorrow, but they aren't making profits like they were before. 

You didn't link to a source so I have no idea if you even understand the context of those numbers, and care to mention how not knowing that makes me delusional in anyway?
laugh.gif

I don't mean to be offensive but since talking out the +@+ seems to be a revolving theme in this  thread, what's your basis when you say "they aren't making profits like before," (I only ask because Yahoo! Finance only seems to list income statements going back to 2008 and I'm legitimately curious now but don't have time to delve much deeper).
you basically told Stilllln729 that his link wasn't all that credible.  but you want me to provide a link?
laugh.gif
R U Cereal?
laugh.gif
here, i'll do even better than that:

http://www.dailyfinance.c...-paypal-profit/19862806/
[h1]The Secret Weapon Behind eBay's Comeback
[/h1]Don't look now, but investors have been quietly bidding up the price of eBay (EBAY).

Back in 2004, the online auction site was a cultural phenomenon and a profit machine. eBay's stock price rose above $59 a share that December, before some ill-conceived decisions, among them its expensive purchase of video chat/Internet phone service Skype, sent the company tumbling.

Since last summer, however, eBay has staged a gradual comeback, rising 68% from a low point around $19 in early July to $32.29 as of Tuesday's close.

Those gains are even more striking when compared to the performance of its peers. Since going public in 2007, MercadoLibre (MELI) -- often called the eBay of Latin America -- has seen its stock price more than double. That's not surprising, since MercadoLibre is a small, fast-growing company, while eBay began to drift around then. But their roles have reversed in recent months.

Over the last six months, eBay is up 40% and MercadoLibre is up 1%. And so far in 2011, eBay is blowing away even mighty Amazon (AMZN), rising 16%, while Amazon is down 6%.

Less Than a Third of eBay Sales Are Auctions

What's behind this slow but steady rally? For one thing, eBay seems finally to be reaping the fruits of its long and painful transformation from an auction website to a retail and e-payments company that thrives on mobile platforms and local commerce.
The metamorphosis angered many longtime sellers, driving them to take their business to rival sites such as Amazon. And a series of redesigns aimed at weaning eBay's business model off auctions, which had a limited and fading appeal, ended up confusing many consumers, making the site an afterthought for many online shoppers. Auctions now account for less than a third of the goods sold on eBay.

eBay is still a far cry from the e-commerce trendsetter it was nearly a decade ago. Its marketplace business rose 8% in 2010 following a 5% decline in 2009. But globally, online retailing grew more than 10%. However, by improving the site's search, pushing mobile sales and cracking down on sellers with low ratings from shoppers, eBay is slowly wooing those lost customers back.

In fact, the website that most people think of when they think of eBay will play a smaller and smaller role in the company's future growth. During its recent analysts' day, eBay Chief Financial Officer Bob Swan said he expects eBay revenue to grow as much as 18% a year to $15 billion in 2013, while profits will grow as much as 14% a year.

But Swan also said the "original" eBay site will see much slower growth -- only around 6% a year. Other e-commerce properties that the company bought or built -- such as eBay Classifieds and Stubhub -- will see growth rates of around 14%.

The Power of PayPal

But the biggest reason for eBay's recent gains is PayPal. Revenue from the online-payment service rose 23% last year to $3.4 billion. eBay bought PayPal in 2002 for $1.5 billion, hoping to give buyers an easy, acceptable alternative to using their credit cards at its auction site. Now, that payments business is the parent company's growth engine. Swan expects PayPal revenue will keep growing by around 23% a year through 2013, while its share of the global online payments market approaches 24%, up from 18% last year.

Much of PayPal's growth potential lies in the mobile arena. PayPal payment technology has been embedded so far by 60,000 developers in 1,500 mobile apps.

PayPal now provides 38% of eBay's total revenue, up from only 28% just two years ago. Analysts expect PayPal to become the company's biggest source of revenue in a few years. Once that happens, one wonders: How long before eBay changes its name to PayPal?

and before you disregard my link like you did my man's, use google and do your own research. like he said.  and stop stan'ing for ebay, unless they're cutting you checks. 

I was going to post this earlier today when I saw it, but I figured someone else would.

I think this has been hammered to death for a while now... but this last "fee revision" really hits close to home around here (the end of private auctions... it appears that even adding a "charge" onto the invoice is not safe from the new final value fees).

We all know why they are doing it, and it's just hard for me to read their little newsletter to sellers trying to say that they are doing this solely to improve the buying community atmosphere.  While I don't expect them to come out and say, "We're including the whole sale under final value fee determinations because we want every single penny we can get", I would appreciate them saying something honest, like, "Due to misuse of shipping charges, we are taking this new action, etc."  So it's more of an honesty thing for me... because we all knew that this was coming (at least I think we all did).

The thing that gets me the most (and it's a small thing, but it is funny to point out... and also some proof that this is COMPLETELY about the money aspect, if you didn't already believe that before) is that: top-rated sellers get a 20% off discount on final value fees.  However, under this new system (in which the total auction/listing sale is subject to final value fees), guess what portion of that fee receives the discount?  You guessed it... only the price of the item... NOT the shipping/charge/etc. part of the fee.  Talk about in-depth... they are going so hard on sellers, that they aren't even going to give you the full discount anymore.  When I saw that little caveat, I was like
nerd.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif

Jimmybeanz, i didn't tell him his link wasn't credible, I simply provided a time frame to add a little clarity to the context. I will respond and read the above when I get to a computer in a little bit (that is if you guys want to continue this).

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
you didn't point out any faults, you just avoid my valid points to focus on statements in my own context

eBayjust settled a lawsuit and paid $30 million in a settlement they didn'twant going to court for overcharged fees, does that go towards end ofyear profits?  I need a financial guru such as yourself to help meout. 
How can I be avoiding your "valid" points when you haven't made any defending your claims about eBay's finances?

I never said losing customers was good financially, I didn'tacknowledge you there because it wasn't relevant to the dribble youwere spitting earlier nor anything I've said in this thread.

I'm no guru but NO, $30 million paid in settlementswould be an expense. You subtract those from revenues to get profits presuming your revenues exceed expenses (just so you can'tclaim I'm avoiding your or so valid points).
smile.gif

jimmybeanz thanks for postingthe article. Unfortunately for our guy StillIn729 it only strengthensmy  argument that eBay is not currently treading water, is in facton the rebound, and not in any immediate danger of going out ofbusiness. I'm confused, were you disagreeing with me or just respondingto my request for a source (which was appreciated)?

#@+% ebay

They tryna have thier cake an eat it too

Seller fees and other #+%% have made it not even worth the trouble

This is why i turn to criagslist when looking to make a quick flip, even though I know it wont get nearly the exposure it would on tha bay 
tired.gif

laugh.gif

eBayjust settled a lawsuit and paid $30 million in a settlement they didn'twant going to court for overcharged fees, does that go towards end ofyear profits?  I need a financial guru such as yourself to help meout. 
How can I be avoiding your "valid" points when you haven't made any defending your claims about eBay's finances?

I never said losing customers was good financially, I didn'tacknowledge you there because it wasn't relevant to the dribble youwere spitting earlier nor anything I've said in this thread.

I'm no guru but NO, $30 million paid in settlementswould be an expense. You subtract those from revenues to get profits presuming your revenues exceed expenses (just so you can'tclaim I'm avoiding your or so valid points).
smile.gif

jimmybeanz thanks for postingthe article. Unfortunately for our guy StillIn729 it only strengthensmy  argument that eBay is not currently treading water, is in facton the rebound, and not in any immediate danger of going out ofbusiness. I'm confused, were you disagreeing with me or just respondingto my request for a source (which was appreciated)?
I won't go as far to say that ebay is treading water. however, they have made decisions that have pushed sellers away. those decisions have caused revenue from auctions to go down (over a 5 year period).  my points/questions are these: 
1) why are you and nawth cheering ebay on? they don't care about you. with revenues going down, they're trying to milk whatever they can. 

2) sneaker re-sellers won't be the only ones affected by this change in rules. EVERBODY WHO SELLS OR BUYS WILL BE affected. if you think prices are stupid high now, you think they will go down when the FVF goes up? 
grin.gif
laugh.gif
 noooooo.  more people will try to sell local via craigslist (or just use other alternatives). if more people try to sell local, you're - ucked if you don't live in a major city.   

sidenote - i often comparison shop for stuff on amazon and ebay. which one do you think is ALWAYS cheaper even though both have 3rd parties selling??? hint: it starts with an "a".   

nawth can gloat all she wants...until she calculates what this new change will cost her.  she talks about people should follow ebay's rules and not get mad. but she's mad at the people that exploit the system? lmfao

BTW, i'm not a genius, but i've already thought of a way to give ebay "the finger" for their april 19th changes.  i'll start using ebay as a screening service. meaning, i'll create auctions and look for bidders that have respectable feedback. once i have a couple, i'll cancel the auction, and send out emails to those folk. i'll still have to pay the paypal fee, but ebay will be out of the FVF. 

smile.gif

I won't go as far to say that ebay is treading water. however, they have made decisions that have pushed sellers away. those decisions have caused revenue from auctions to go down (over a 5 year period).  my points/questions are these: 
1) why are you and nawth cheering ebay on? they don't care about you. with revenues going down, they're trying to milk whatever they can. 

2) sneaker re-sellers won't be the only ones affected by this change in rules. EVERBODY WHO SELLS OR BUYS WILL BE affected. if you think prices are stupid high now, you think they will go down when the FVF goes up? 
grin.gif
laugh.gif
 noooooo.  more people will try to sell local via craigslist (or just use other alternatives). if more people try to sell local, you're - ucked if you don't live in a major city.   

sidenote - i often comparison shop for stuff on amazon and ebay. which one do you think is ALWAYS cheaper even though both have 3rd parties selling??? hint: it starts with an "a".   

nawth can gloat all she wants...until she calculates what this new change will cost her.  she talks about people should follow ebay's rules and not get mad. but she's mad at the people that exploit the system? lmfao

BTW, i'm not a genius, but i've already thought of a way to give ebay "the finger" for their april 19th changes.  i'll start using ebay as a screening service. meaning, i'll create auctions and look for bidders that have respectable feedback. once i have a couple, i'll cancel the auction, and send out emails to those folk. i'll still have to pay the paypal fee, but ebay will be out of the FVF. 
Ham is just a moron so I'm not even addressing him anymore...I was being sarcastic about the lawsuit increasing revenues and he thought I was serious 
laugh.gif
 Ham get back to me in 5 years and let me know how the financial strength of eBay is doing
Jimmybeanz: to the bold statement, I did that the past 6 months, I would always put the auction high enough and make my opening line in the title "Please email for the best buy it now price and you will save money" and I would handle the transaction off eBay and there is nothing they can do about that.  

bottomline:  eBay is in trouble because their fees have sellers asking for increased prices in fixed auction formats when the same items are much cheaper on Amazon because they don't have to account for high eBay fees along with the double dip from Paypal.  

This would work... but unfortunately, I'm sure there are people who will report you for doing it (because they are either blinded by Ebay's rules, think that you're somehow trying to scam them, or who think that you're trying to rip them off because they think the auction would have ended for less, etc.).

It might work for 70% of people (not saying that 70% of the people you contact will buy... just saying that 70% won't have a problem with it)... but that other 30% won't be down for it at all, and maybe 5-10% of that 30% will report you (obviously not solid numbers, just a guess... I've seen it in action.

Back
Top Bottom