EDIT-How skilled is Lebron James?

Lebron isn't a shooter dude. He can't shoot that well . Not saying that his jumper can't be develop overtime but at right now he's not a greatshooter. His post up game is basically non existent

Originally Posted by bostonmarc

So looking back as the original poster maybe I should have worded this differently. How SKILLED do you think Lebron James is? Not how big/strong/athletic, but how skilled is he? I feel like I can easily name 20 players who are more skilled. Not better atheletes, or better players but more skilled. My thought is that yes he will go down as an all time great I am sure. But I just don't feel like he has an interest in developing his skill set as long as he can dominate physically. So I ask NT, how SKILLED is Lebron?
If you can't figure out that yourself then i highly doubt you coached basketball at any level
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Skills are not the essence of his game. LeBron is for SF what 1999-2004 Shaq was for C.

Agreed.

Aside from Lebrons passing, I feel like his skill set is average for an NBA player. Average footwork, average handle, average jumpshot.
His physical dominance is what seperates him from the rest of the league.

If he doesn't take his skill set to the next level, his career will emulate Vince Carter's IMO.
If he does, he could evolve into something we have never seen before.

I personally don't think he has it in him though...

Originally Posted by Classy Freshman

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Skills are not the essence of his game. LeBron is for SF what 1999-2004 Shaq was for C.

Agreed.

Aside from Lebrons passing, I feel like his skill set is average for an NBA player. Average footwork, average handle, average jumpshot.
His physical dominance is what seperates him from the rest of the league.

If he doesn't take his skill set to the next level, his career will emulate Vince Carter's IMO.
If he does, he could evolve into something we have never seen before.

I personally don't think he has it in him though...
he has already surpassed anything VC has ever done in his career

I would like to know from an honest standpont what makes him more talented than Kobe.

I'm not talking jumping and running. I'm talking the game. He may be bigger but don't act like Kobe was weak at his peak athletically.

some of you constantly take away his strengths and cut things down to make your points better or put a guy like melo or kobe in a better light.

you can't take away his physical gifts.

his bigger, stronger, faster...he always will be. you people act like there is an hourglass going right now, he has 10 years left where he can physicallydominate as he chooses to.

average handle?
laugh.gif

Dude is a monster and he will dominate for the next 10 years. He is super talented but he doesn't have that certain touch in his game. I hate to comparehim to Kobe and Mj but they have/had it. I don't know if someone is born with that or they develop it by studying the game but until he gets it I refuse tothink he is more talented than those two.

Originally Posted by KenJi714

So looking back as the original poster maybe I should have worded this differently. How SKILLED do you think Lebron James is? Not how big/strong/athletic, but how skilled is he? I feel like I can easily name 20 players who are more skilled. Not better atheletes, or better players but more skilled. My thought is that yes he will go down as an all time great I am sure. But I just don't feel like he has an interest in developing his skill set as long as he can dominate physically. So I ask NT, how SKILLED is Lebron?
If you can't figure out that yourself then i highly doubt you coached basketball at any level
roll.gif

I know the answer, but I was looking for NT opinion. I do not think he is very skilled at all. If anyone watched the game last night it was proof. It waseither a layup/dunk or a spot up 3 pt shot, nothing in between. The last play was also proof. How many superstar players will bury there head and drive thelast play to try to get a whistle? Everyone knows the refs arent going to call that 9 out of 10 times. As I have said before he is a super athlete and giftedphysically, but thats where his game all comes from. Last night Lebron James attempted 17 shots. here is the breakdown of those possessions
Shot 9 for 17 from the floor
Spot up 3 pt shot .....1/4
Layup/Dunk.......6/7, 5 of these were in transition
Pull up jumper off screen/roll 2/5
end of half half court shot 0/1
No post ups/mid range game

As far as me saying there is 20 players with better skill sets, here is a couple in just the east of the top of my head- REMEMBER MAYBE NOT BETTER PLAYERS,but better skill sets
Danny Grainger
Ben Gordon
Paul Pierce
Wade
Rashard Lewis
Chris Paul
Joe Johnson
Gilbert Arenas

Skill set meaning all things being equal, if the players were same size, athletic ability, vertical jump etc, these players have better BASKETBALL SKILLS thenLebron.
I am also glad to see some people who are posting are understanding my point

Originally Posted by KenJi714

roll.gif

I know the answer, but I was looking for NT opinion. I do not think he is very skilled at all. If anyone watched the game last night it was proof. It was either a layup/dunk or a spot up 3 pt shot, nothing in between. The last play was also proof. How many superstar players will bury there head and drive the last play to try to get a whistle? Everyone knows the refs arent going to call that 9 out of 10 times. As I have said before he is a super athlete and gifted physically, but thats where his game all comes from. Last night Lebron James attempted 17 shots. here is the breakdown of those possessions
Shot 9 for 17 from the floor
Spot up 3 pt shot .....1/4
Layup/Dunk.......6/7, 5 of these were in transition
Pull up jumper off screen/roll 2/5
end of half half court shot 0/1
No post ups/mid range game

As far as me saying there is 20 players with better skill sets, here is a couple in just the east of the top of my head- REMEMBER MAYBE NOT BETTER PLAYERS, but better skill sets

Danny Grainger
Ben Gordon
Paul Pierce
Wade
Rashard Lewis
Chris Paul
Joe Johnson
Gilbert Arenas

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

UNREAL
I mean, i dont even know what to say about the players you just listed

*Exits Thread*

^^^^ You are entitled to you opionion, and if you dont agree thats fine. I wont make a case for each player. But even without those I just showed 5 players inthe east alone who you agree have better basketball skills. There is at least another 6-8 in the west minimum that you would agree with

lol that don't mean I agree with the rest either...I just thought those in particular were even more extreme.

Like...I can't think of a SINGLE thing Rashard Lewis can say he does better than Lebron besides shoot.

Originally Posted by yungmatt

UNREAL
I mean, i dont even know what to say about the players you just listed

*Exits Thread*
You are also entitled to your opinion, but I hope you understand what I mean by skill set vs athletic ability. If Lebron James was the same size,athletic ability, etc as say Chris Paul, do you really think that he would be better? If Paul Pierce was 6-9, 260, chisled and could jump out of the gym withhis (PP) offensive package, do you think Lebron would be better then him? How about if Lebron could do the things offensivly in a half court set that Pierce orJoe Johnson does? Skill has nothing to do with athleticism. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were two of the most skilled players the league has seen and neitherwere great athletes. Tim Duncan is not a great athlete, but he will go down as one of the most fundamental players and best PF ever. He wasnt born with thoseskills like Lebron was born with his body. He had to work to develop them

Originally Posted by Im Not You

lol that don't mean I agree with the rest either...I just thought those in particular were even more extreme.

Like...I can't think of a SINGLE thing Rashard Lewis can say he does better than Lebron besides shoot.

IMO, Lewis can post up, and has a better mid range game. Lewis isnt a better player the Lebron, I just think he is more well rounded offensivly In watching thegame last night, Lebron "posted up" but only to catch the ball. Once the entry pass was made, he dribbled back out to the 3 pt line to get a runningstart at the rim.

As far as me saying there is 20 players with better skill sets, here is a couple in just the east of the top of my head
Danny Grainger
Ben Gordon
Paul Pierce
Rashard Lewis
Joe Johnson
Gilbert Arenas
4gjgbr.jpg

2d268t1.jpg

jh645i.jpg

Originally Posted by Al3xis

some of you constantly take away his strengths and cut things down to make your points better or put a guy like melo or kobe in a better light.

his bigger, stronger, faster...he always will be. you people act like there is an hourglass going right now, he has 10 years left where he can physically dominate as he chooses to.

average handle?
laugh.gif

You cannot take away his physical gifts. His physical gifts are what make him great.
Ewing was a much more skilled center than Shaq, but Shaq is still the better basketball player.
There are at least 20+ players in the league that are more skilled than Lebron, but Lebrons physical gifts are what makes him better than all of them as anoverall basketball player.

And lets be real, Lebron has no handle. He is either going one way or the other. He has no counter moves, change of direction moves, etc.

his bigger, stronger, faster...he always will be. you people act like there is an hourglass going right now, he has 10 years left where he can physically dominate as he chooses to.

average handle?
laugh.gif

You cannot take away his physical gifts. His physical gifts are what make him great.
Ewing was a much more skilled center than Shaq, but Shaq is still the better basketball player.
There are at least 20+ players in the league that are more skilled than Lebron, but Lebrons physical gifts are what makes him better than all of them as an overall basketball player.

And lets be real, Lebron has no handle. He is either going one way or the other. He has no counter moves, change of direction moves, etc.

Glad to see someone else understands the concept of skill set vs. physical ability/god given attributes. And that picture above doesnt look like he did lastnight when the refs didnt bail him out at the end of the game for not having a go to move. He just pouted at half court. And I am not a hater, I dont like ordislike him. Is he entertaining to watch, yes. Will he be considered as an all time great, yes. Do I think he is a gifted BASKETBALL PLAYER, not at this point.And I wont start another post but I feel the same was as Dwight Howard too

I hate LeBron, but he will become Top 10 player all time.

He is kind of a mix between Dominique Wilkins and Magic Johnson in my opinion.

so you put lewis' skillset over lebron cuz he can "shoot" better?
lewis post game is solid, but nothing extraordinary...
same with BG. only thing i can think of is a better shooter. dude is one dimensional as hell.
i agree with the rest of the list though, although im a bit iffy on JJ..

average handle?
laugh.gif

There are at least 20+ players in the league that are more skilled than Lebron, but Lebrons physical gifts are what makes him better than all of them as an overall basketball player.

Glad to see someone else understands the concept of skill set vs. physical ability/god given attributes. And that picture above doesnt look like he did last night when the refs didnt bail him out at the end of the game for not having a go to move. He just pouted at half court. And I am not a hater, I dont like or dislike him. Is he entertaining to watch, yes. Will he be considered as an all time great, yes. Do I think he is a gifted BASKETBALL PLAYER, not at this point. And I wont start another post but I feel the same was as Dwight Howard too
my man...you know how f'd up that statement is??
laugh.gif

If LeBron wasn't highly skilled then he would'nt have done 20-5-5 coming into the league at 18 years old.

/thread.

You are making absolutely no sense with the skills argument. There are tons of guys in the league who are elite athletes yet wouldn't be able to put upLebron's numbers if their life depended on it. Look at Joey Graham. Dude is probably one of the strongest and highest jumpers in the league. By yourargument he should be dominating in and out just on god given physical ability. Yet he can't hold LBJ's jock. Why? Because LBJ's skills are whatseparates him from physical freaks like Graham, Ben Wallace, Corey Maggette, etc.

And did you really just say Rashard is more skilled than Lebron? Bad example dude
laugh.gif

he's very skilled... but it will always be up for arguement amongst people because he is also gifted physically in which other players don't have thatgift.

Back
Top Bottom