EDIT: New Question, is LeBron the second greatest player of all time? So, has Steph Curry overtaken

Who is the best basketball player in the world?

• LeBron James

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steph Curry

• Russell Westbrook

• Kevin Durant

• Anthony Davis

• Other

• Total voters
Y'all have this fixed narrative on his defense so it's no use, but if you intently watched steph this year on that end I personally don't see how you come away with his defense as being "suspect" or anything of the sort.

But it's all good though.

he's not bad. james harden is bad.

but his on ball, stay in front of you defense isnt average. it didnt just start in this series shoeking. he was torched by lillard 2x this year for 40 and 51, john wall hung up 41 on him, even clarkson hung 25 on him.

i just think the proof is in the tape. if he was an average on ball defender...there is no way the cavs would have been able to pick on him every time down like they did.

but i am with you on some aspects of his defensive skills

but his on ball, stay in front of you defense isnt average. it didnt just start in this series shoeking. he was torched by lillard 2x this year for 40 and 51, john wall hung up 41 on him, even clarkson hung 25 on him.

i just think the proof is in the tape. if he was an average on ball defender...there is no way the cavs would have been able to pick on him every time down like they did.

Selection bias. 

There are numerous times in the past where guys like Kyrie, Dame, Russell Westbrook, John Wall, all were not good at all against him and he played fantastic defense on them. Besides I'm pretty sure he wasn't guarding those guys for all of those points, and regardless those are great players (except clarkson...but even him) and they are going to give buckets to anyone. Steph "gave" CP3 30 multiple times, Russ "gave" cp3 a 25 pt 20 ast triple double, Zeke gave CP3 40, does that mean CP3 isn't a great defender?

Hell no it doesn't.

I've heard it from Chris Paul's mouth, him singing the praises of Steph Curry's defense. Y'all really are picking and choosing the times where he's bad then coming to a conclusion based on that.

Regardless those are great players and out of all of the elite pg's in the league, Only CP and John Wall are better on defense. Dame, Kyrie, Russell Westbrook, Isiah Thomas, etc. etc. none of those guys are better than steph curry on defense.

Curry may be worse. Harden doesn't get torched like that night in and out by the top or even midtier 2way guards in the league. Harden just gives up on plays but if its stay in front or real D that is where Curry is horrible.

I've never saw someone get picked on so much man. Next season its gonna be bad if he doesn't do something about it in the offseason.

Not just hold on a minute, nobody is worse on defense than Harden.

Curry may be worse. Harden doesn't get torched like that night in and out by the top or even midtier 2way guards in the league. Harden just gives up on plays but if its stay in front or real D that is where Curry is horrible.

I've never saw someone get picked on so much man. Next season its gonna be bad if he doesn't do something about it in the offseason.

The takes are so trash :lol:

Selection bias. 

There are numerous times in the past where guys like Kyrie, Dame, Russell Westbrook, John Wall, all were not good at all against him and he played fantastic defense on them. Besides I'm pretty sure he wasn't guarding those guys for all of those points, and regardless those are great players (except clarkson...but even him) and they are going to give buckets to anyone. Steph "gave" CP3 30 multiple times, Russ "gave" cp3 a 25 pt 20 ast triple double, Zeke gave CP3 40, does that mean CP3 isn't a great defender?

Hell no it doesn't.

I've heard it from Chris Paul's mouth, him singing the praises of Steph Curry's defense. Y'all really are picking and choosing the times where he's bad then coming to a conclusion based on that.

Regardless those are great players and out of all of the elite pg's in the league, Only CP and John Wall are better on defense. Dame, Kyrie, Russell Westbrook, Isiah Thomas, etc. etc. none of those guys are better than steph curry on defense.

you've got a great point.

only thing i can say to that in rebuttal is that if the cavs felt like he was average or serviceable, they would have needed a different game plan. but you make valid points and i agree mostly.

i just think that great/above average is a bit too high. average to slightly below average is more accurate IMO. there are several aspects to being a great defender and he has some of them. he's great in the passing lanes and has great hands...but his ability to stay in front of other PGs...not so much.

this is exactly why Klay guards offensive minded perimeter players especially point guards.

agreed, great offensive players are gonna have great nights even against great defense. that doesnt make them bad defenders

Last edited:
I've obviously hurt the feelings of this one.

What exactly is it that you want?

trust...you're the ONLY one in here with hurt feelings. :smokin :smh: :rolleyes

I mean, you've clearly been upset for some time now. Otherwise, I wouldn't be on your mind as much as I have.

Anyway, what exactly is it that you want? Your cries for attention have been answered, try not to waste them.

Last edited:
Man you dudes need to change your quote settings. No reason there should be 5 previous quotes quoted when you respond

This dude really called Steph a above average to great defender. :lol:

Prime Rondo, Kawhi, Lebron, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Avery Bradley, Oladipo are above average to great defenders. You don't get targeted if you're good to great on defense in any sport. That **** doesn't happen. You get targeted cuz you're a weakness. I think tries on defense, he just ain't good at it. He's good at sneaking in and getting steals and that's it. Defense is more than that. It's plenty of dudes through out history that could get steals that wasn't good defenders.

Prime Rondo, Kawhi, Lebron, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Avery Bradley, Oladipo are above average to great defenders. You don't get targeted if you're good to great on defense in any sport. That **** doesn't happen. You get targeted cuz you're a weakness. I think tries on defense, he just ain't good at it. He's good at sneaking in and getting steals and that's it. Defense is more than that. It's plenty of dudes through out history that could get steals that wasn't good defenders.

He's really improved this year but you dudes ain't having none of it.

you know what  f steph right now. he hurt me to much to even defend him  but  lets be real .

hes far from harden . dudes really expect him not to get lit up by kyrie and lebron ,  thats literally who picked on him and because of that  hes horrible. nah. id say hes an average defender at worst . 

Last edited:
Steph Curry isn't a great defender because of steals wth
laugh.gif

It's because he has really great instincts, is wiry strong, and has talent on that end of the floor. 

If Lebron James and Kyrie irving are targeting and scoring on Steph, that doesn't make him a bad defender, it means guys like Kyrie are great shot makers. 

What tape? 

There's tape, and numbers that support steph being a really good defender if you want to go that route. I don't know what you're talking about.

And Klay thompson is a bigger, and better defender than Steph so of course he's going to be tasked with more responsibility defensively. That doesn't mean steph can't guard.

What tape? 

There's tape, and numbers that support steph being a really good defender if you want to go that route. I don't know what you're talking about.

And Klay thompson is a bigger, and better defender than Steph so of course he's going to be tasked with more responsibility defensively. That doesn't mean steph can't guard.

Easy cowboy.

When I speak of tape, I speak of any game in the finals that just ended. Numbers, numbers, numbers. **** numbers.

All I know is when he was on the court, the Cavs ran numerous pick and rolls all game long to try and get the obvious mismatch vs. Curry.

He can't stay in front of his man period. But you wanna look at his defensive rating per 100 possessions or any other silly numbers to tell folks that their eyes didn't see what they just saw.

Number one rule in defense...stay in front of your man and don't let him get to the basket. He didn't do that at all.

So for you to say he's a great defender when everybody just witnessed how inefficient he was is like telling us the sky is purple.

Great defenses don't get picked on every defensive possession...period.

You think they'd be able to run that same stuff if Chris Paul was on D? Nope.

And I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying he's average or.0000005 above average.

But great? Again, check the tape. Miss me with the advanced metrics. I don't need advanced metrics to tell me curry had a piss poor series defensively. I saw it with my own eyes.

Last edited:
Easy cowboy.

When I speak of tape, I speak of any game in the finals that just ended. Numbers, numbers, numbers. **** numbers.

All I know is when he was on the court, the Cavs ran numerous pick and rolls all game long to try and get the obvious mismatch vs. Curry.

He can't stay in front of his man period. But you wanna look at his defensive rating per 100 possessions or any other silly numbers to tell folks that their eyes didn't see what they just saw.

Number one rule in defense...stay in front of your man and don't let him get to the basket. He didn't do that at all.

So for you to say he's a great defender when everybody just witnessed how inefficient he was is like telling us the sky is purple.

Great defenses don't get picked on every defensive possession...period.

You think they'd be able to run that same stuff if Chris Paul was on D? Nope.
You're not including some important parts in your story though.

If Lebron was playing the Clips he would run numerous 1/3 or 1/4 PnR's to get CP guarding him. The name of the game when it came to the cavs is mismatches.

If you're really going to say Steph isn't a good defender because LEBRON FREAKING JAMES was seeking him out then I don't know what to say. The only person who was trying to get steph on him for mismatches were LEBRON JAMES AND KYRIE IRVING.

And for the record I don't know what series you were watching but steph was staying in front of his man when he had the ball. (Although he had some serious lapses off the ball) Who was beating him off the dribble? WHO?

He's really improved this year but you dudes ain't having none of it.

Who's saying he didn't improve? He definitely improved.

He went from being a bad defender to being an average one.

Tape as in watching games. Catch up.

Steph Curry isn't a great defender because of steals wth:lol:

It's because he has really great instincts, is wiry strong, and has talent on that end of the floor. 

If Lebron James and Kyrie irving are targeting and scoring on Steph, that doesn't make him a bad defender, it means guys like Kyrie are great shot makers. 

Tape don't lie *shrug*

They hide him most of time while Klay is checking the best guard.

Because Klay is the better defender, why wouldn't you put the better defender. :lol: y'all dudes are something Else.

You don't hide good to great defenders period. :lol: Never in basketball has a good to great defender hide AND get targeted over and over and over. No matter how y'all try to dress it up, it don't add up.

Never seen a team in a playoff series say "we gon go at Gary Payton on every possession" or Lebron, Kobe, J Kidd, Rondo. You don't target dudes that are good/great defenders cuz they're gonna make you work harder. You target the dude that's not good on defense.

Back
Top Bottom