Elon Musk trying to buy Twitter (edit: deal has been finalized)

I think this is my ultimate take. I see problems with no clear solutions.

I don't see the profit potential as an ads business, it's a text based medium so imo
algorithmic twitter ads are just inherently less valuable

Turning Twitter into Hood Talk with zero moderation I think is unworkable, and will lead to decline in users
you will always need some moderation, and wherever you draw the line people will be mad.

The potential in the platform is that twitter has a high number culturally influential users.
but I don't see how you turn that into money.

maybe giving those users more tools to monetize there followings like OF and substack?
either way I don't see how that gets you to 43 billi

but hey im sitting here in the rural canada using Elon's Laser satellite internet.
so who am I to bet against him. :lol:

40+ Billion dollars....what a waste of money. Dude could’ve helped starving children in poor countries or helped out with the homeless/mental illness here in the U.S. :smh:
3186B10A-A15E-416D-9770-AEC56C430316.jpeg

I don't see the profit potential as an ads business, it's a text based medium so imo

Turning Twitter into Hood Talk with zero moderation I think is unworkable, and will lead to decline in users
you will always need some moderation, and wherever you draw the line people will be mad.

The potential in the platform is that twitter has a high number culturally influential users.

maybe giving those users more tools to monetize there followings like OF and substack?

but hey im sitting here in the rural canada using Elon's Laser satellite internet.

I mean he didn't invent satellite internet :lol:

what i will give him credit for is he is good at getting investors and marketing himself

I think you forgot selling user data.

Also, the moderation seems pretty simple theoretically if it just follows the laws related to 1st amendment free speech. There are limits on free speech and it’d be the same concept.

Musk’s statement that he feels twitter is like a public square, signals that will be the approach.

The stock has increased (pretty significantly) since the reports of the sale.

He didn't start PayPal or Tesla either. He bought into them.

He's a rich fraud plain and simple. But America has this weird obsession with oligarchs so people praise him.
lol i think there is a nuanced middle point between

Elon Musk is God Emperor tech bro and Elon musk is a Loser fraud. :lol:

Musk says he did it to give people their "freedom of speech" back.

Let's say the quiet part out loud tho. The people he's referring to giving their voice back is white supremacists, anti-vaxxers, and insurrectionists.
It’s Donald Trump….

I think you forgot selling user data.

sure but you can get bigger and better data sets with other social media companies.
Twitter already sells their data and it hasn't made them very profitable.

Also, the moderation seems pretty simple theoretically if it just follows the laws related to 1st amendment free speech. There are limits on free speech and it’d be the same concept.
it's not, moderation involves drawing lines, where ever you draw them people will be mad.
on the left and on the right

Musk’s statement that he feels twitter is like a public square, signals that will be the approach.

The stock has increased (pretty significantly) since the reports of the sale.

yes Elon Musks personal charisma can inflate the price of a stock.
I don't doubt that.

sure but you can get bigger and better data sets with other social media companies.
Twitter already sells their data and it hasn't made them very profitable.

it's not, moderation involves drawing lines, where ever you draw them people will be mad.
on the left and on the right

yes Elon Musks personal charisma can inflate the price of a stock.
I don't doubt that.

I mean the moderation is as easy as it is to moderate free speech on any other public forum (like a sidewalk).

If his alleged personal charisma inflates the stock price, the shareholders profit.

Let's say Elon's goal is to turn it into some kind of propaganda tool.

Twitter would also suck at that.

fundamental not that many people use it,
and the people who tweet the most seem to be highly ideological,

if you can't make effective ad targeting software,
I highly doubt you are going to influence the politics of a highly ideological user base.

if you turn into some kind of right amplification machine
competitors will spring up, and you'll get a mass exodus.

and conservatives seem to have no interest on a platform with no libs to trigger.

It’s interesting he wants to authenticate all users. That goes with the selling of user data, or at least storing it.

I mean the moderation is as easy as it is to moderate free speech on any other public forum (like a sidewalk).

If his alleged personal charisma inflates the stock price, the shareholders profit.

1. it's not a sidewalk.

2. yah sure but at some point you'll have to show people the actual profits.

1. it's not a sidewalk.

2. yah sure but at some point you'll have to show people the actual profits.

I’ve made the argument previously and it still stands. Large social media companies like Facebook and Twitter should be treated more like sidewalks due to their scope.

Obviously, Twitter is not a sidewalk just like an apple is not a banana split.

Here’s an article, from the American Bar Association, explaining the argument:

Back
Top Bottom