ESPN 30 for 30 "Benji"

I didn't know what side to believe when they talked about the shooting. Whether dude tried to Rob him or Benji pushed him.

From what I saw of him, he looked like he could have been a hybrid of Kevin Garnett and Anthony Davis.
I wonder how different things in the NBA would have been if Benji and Len Bias got to play. The league hadn't really seen anything like those two dudes.

I often wonder the same thing. Just imagine if the Bulls drafted Benji Wilson instead of Scottie Pippen and if Len Bias carried the torch from Larry Bird. The Bulls could have been even more of a force to be wreckoned with and the Celtics might have never suffered in the 90s.

Glad the directors showed Jesse Jackson's punk ***. That joke of a human cashing in on ONE murder out of many, many hundreds that year. There's a special place in hell for him and Al Sharpton.
Sad thing is he was at Len Bias's funeral as well.

grimey what jetun did to that innocent guy
mean.gif

grimey what jetun did to that innocent guy :smh:

I don't think it was all her fault, she didn't shoot anyone.

Jesse Jackson is a disgusting human.

The funeral scene had me shook, really erie when they showed him in his coffin under the hoop.

Could you imagine if this happened to LeBron or any other #1 player today. Made me sick seeing his classmates reactions.

Great documentary.

I often wonder the same thing. Just imagine if the Bulls drafted Benji Wilson instead of Scottie Pippen and if Len Bias carried the torch from Larry Bird. The Bulls could have been even more of a force to be wreckoned with and the Celtics might have never suffered in the 90s.

Too many what-ifs, especially considering the Bulls didn't draft Pippen.

Man, the dude didn't even play a lick of college. Why are we talking about what if a certain team drafted him.

Man, the dude didn't even play a lick of college. Why are we talking about what if a certain team drafted him.

Thinking the same thing. Great doc, not one of the best, like Vaccaro said the myth has really taken back.

I see some red flags though. This guy was obsessed with his HS gf and knocked her up. He pushed his teacher. He would've been eaten alive nowadays for those actions. It got swept under the rug.

What if this dude would of flamed out the L?

Can't just look at the rosy "What ifs?"

Good to see they are keeping his legacy alive though, big tragedy.

Really felt bad for Omar Dixon though. Wrong place, wrong time. His boy pulled the trigger and he fell with him on some corroborated story pushed by police and prosecutors. He became a career criminal, back in the pen, life flushed down the toilet and he didn't do a damn thing.

I didn't wanna be the 1st one to say it.

Dude talking about benji and Jordan playing together :lol: lets slow down , the doc got you off base.

Thinking the same thing. Great doc, not one of the best, like Vaccaro said the myth has really taken back.

I see some red flags though. This guy was obsessed with his HS gf and knocked her up. He pushed his teacher. He would've been eaten alive nowadays for those actions. It got swept under the rug.

What if this dude would of flamed out the L?

Can't just look at the rosy "What ifs?"

Good to see they are keeping his legacy alive though, big tragedy.

Really felt bad for Omar Dixon though. Wrong place, wrong time. His boy pulled the trigger and he fell with him on some corroborated story pushed by police and prosecutors. He became a career criminal, back in the pen, life flushed down the toilet and he didn't do a damn thing.

The teacher thing was a bad situation, but that was more reaction to someone grabbing him from behind during a heightened level of anger than him being a bad egg/red flag. I say that because I've never been in anytype of trouble in my life and I've had an occassion where shoved my mom in a situation like that before. I didn't even know she was there, you just spin around and push whoever is grabbing you off of you.

As far as the whole being obsessed with his GF, I'm not sure if you have any children but imagine if right after the birth of your first child the mother did a 180 on you and wouldn't talk to you nor let you about your child. Then you see her daily and you attempt to hold a civil conversation with her and she continues to front you off, and all you want to do is see your child. Obsessed is the wrong word to use In terms of having a child, I didn't know that was considered to be a red flag.

But at the same time if Magic or Michael were playing nowadays they would be crucified for gambling and womanizing exploites, but all of those things got swept under the rug... So what are you really saying with that statement?

As far as the what ifs, all we know is that every year he got better. he wasn't some kid who just physically dominating his class from the first day he touch down, he grew into his game and by all accounts had a lot of potential for his game to grow more and wanted to do just that. in 2 yrs he grew from 5'10 to 6'7" he was still adjusting to his body.

"The saddest thing in the world is wasted potential" (c) Sonny from A Bronx Tale

That's exactly what he was and that's the story, point blank period.

Where are the red flags?

-He had a crush on her. That's not obsessed. Having a child as a teen is a red flag? That's just a mistake that both parties will have to own up to. Jetun was the mother of his child. He wanted to be in his son's life, but she pushed him away. As someone who actually wants to be a father (rare for teens), why would you push him away? As we see a lot, some men would have been happy that their BM didn't want anything to do with him after having a kid.
-He didn't know he pushed his teacher. That could have been a friend of his and the same thing would have happened.

You guys skipped over the part earlier in the doc where they were talking about women, but he was always crying for the baby momma. This was way before he had a child.

Let the myth live, just omit silly "What if's?" like he would've changed the game if he would've played in the pro's. It's the same with Len Bias.

Got to take the good with the bad. Having a child in high school isn't a red flag? :smh:

You guys skipped over the part earlier in the doc where they were talking about women, but he was always crying for the baby momma. This was way before he had a child.

Let the myth live, just omit silly "What if's?" like he would've changed the game if he would've played in the pro's. It's the same with Len Bias.

Got to take the good with the bad. Having a child in high school isn't a red flag?
mean.gif
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nice rebuttal, :lol:

The thing that made this doc so good was that they showed the shooters POV, that is almost unheard of.

"The saddest thing in the world is wasted potential" (c) Sonny from A Bronx Tale

It happens all the time though, so many tales of athletes that have wasted a "golden opportunity" due to follies of the society surrounding them.

He meant a lot to Chicago, and it's a shame his life was cut short.

-I believe the gunman's story, but it seems he was trying to cover his own butt after years of death threats from a lot of Chicago residents. I'll tell you that he can NEVER come back here, just like Alpo can never return to Harlem after murdering Rich Porter.

He's been in Chicago. Probably still there.

Last edited:
After hearing William's side of the story, I can't get past playing devil's advocate. Dude was probably a sophomore and obviously Ben was a senior. He could have easily socked the piss out of him, took his gun and shot him and Omar Dixon. Would that be even more of a tragedy for a rising star to go to prison for life on a double murder charge?

Last edited:

Got to take the good with the bad. Having a child in high school isn't a red flag? :smh:

You missed the point where everyone said that they were dating and the people in his circle including his mother thought that he shouldn't because he could potentially throw his future away. He wasn't just crying over some random girl in the street. He had a connection to her and with him being as young and immature as he was in regards to dating, his response was pretty normal. How many of you have cried when you got dumped by your girl as a kid?

Having a kid was a mistake, but it wasn't a red flag. Its not an indictment on his character. If everyone said he was a terrible person, that would be a red flag.

After hearing William's side of the story, I can't get past playing devil's advocate. Dude was probably a sophomore and obviously Ben was a senior. He could have easily socked the piss out of him, took his gun and shot him and Omar Dixon. Would that be even more of a tragedy for a rising star to go to prison for life on a double murder charge?

Relax with the hypotheticals.

Last edited:
Man living in DC you don't know how many times we hear, "Len Bias would have been better than Jordan." Aight man.........yea sure. Sick of it.

You missed the point where everyone said that they were dating and the people in his circle including his mother thought that he shouldn't because he could potentially throw his future away. He wasn't just crying over some random girl in the street. He had a connection to her and with him being as young and immature as he was in regards to dating, his response was pretty normal. How many of you have cried when you got dumped by your girl as a kid?
Having a kid was a mistake, but it wasn't a red flag. Its not an indictment on his character. If everyone said he was a terrible person, that would be a red flag.
Relax with the hypotheticals.

This whole thread is 90% hypothetical >D

Give me a Ronnie Fields 30 for 30.

If he came out and didn't get in that accident we probably wouldn't be discussing D-Rose and Wade as much.

Back
Top Bottom