ESPN Films: The Fab 5: 3/13 9PM EST/6PM PST ON ESPN HD

Originally Posted by Ballinboboy13

i don't know how to embed.. thank me later

http://www.youtube.com/wa...;feature=player_embedded
Prooooooooops man
pimp.gif

Good lookin' out on that link. Bout to watch right now.

I watched a few of the 30 for 30's that I hadn't seen the past few days because this post reminded me to do so and
eek.gif
@ the Marcus Dupree story. That and the Two Escobars are hands down the best that I've seen thus far, but the series as a whole has been phenomenal.

Good lookin' out on that link. Bout to watch right now.

I watched a few of the 30 for 30's that I hadn't seen the past few days because this post reminded me to do so and
eek.gif
@ the Marcus Dupree story. That and the Two Escobars are hands down the best that I've seen thus far, but the series as a whole has been phenomenal.

Originally Posted by langfor5

Indeed.  It would have been nice had they interviewed the player that was clapping for joy on the Michigan bench when Webber called the TO.
That was Mike T. Chris kept screaming at Mike T, "why did you tell me to call a T? Why!!!"

Jalen wanted Mike T to be in the documentary but no one could find him or get a hold of him. Pretty much after the 93 final he disappeared. Same w/ Chris. Jalen wanted him in the documentary but he wouldn't do it. Couple times he got close but in the end always said no.

Crazy that C was getting 280k over two years and in Albom's book he famously documents the time when Chris couldn't order a second fish sandwich because he didn't have any money.

Jalen will FOREVER be my favorite college basketball player of all time. A story about Jalen. After the end of the Carolina game Fisher still had to go up and take the 'second' place trophy and by that time everyone from Michigan had completely left the building and headed back to the locker room. There was only one person who stayed in the tunnel and waited for Fisher. It was Jalen.

Great documentary.
pimp.gif
When this comes out on DVD it will be a MUST PURCHASE.

langfor - How do you know about Mike Talley?
eyes.gif

Mike Talley is a high school coach in Detroit.  He just finished coaching his son in back to back state title wins for Melvindale.  His son was smallish and moved on to Dusquense(sp?).  Mike Talley Sr. moved from Melvindale to another metro Detroit school this season as head coach.  Trust me, Jalen and everyone else knew right where to find him but Talley wanted no part of this movie...

Michael Talley HATED the Fab Five.  He was the 1989 Mr. Basketball in the State of Michigan and played in the Detroit PSL.  That was serious.  The Detroit PSL was pumping out 15-20 High D1 players a year in the 80s and early 90s.  Michigan had just won the National Title in basketball in 1989 and he signed on to play PG after Rumeal Robinson left.  Rumeal left after the 1990 season and Talley ran the point in 1991 as a sophomore.  He was the second leading scorer (12 PPG) on that team to senior guard's Demetrius Calip 20 PPG.  Talley was suppose to be the man going forward in 92 & 93.  Instead, he was slowly marginalized, with his playing time evaporating over the course of 1992 and eventually becoming zero when Ray Jackson moved into the starting line-up around mid-season.  The guy went from being in an NBA pipeline to a bench warmer.  Fame and fortune erased.  Every michigan point guards in the 80s was drafted in the NBA draft - Eric Turner (incredible talent despite his huge coke habit with Roy Trapley), Gary Grant, and Rumeal Robinson.  He had signed on to be part of that and was brushed aside. 

Talley was very talented but had a terrible attitude about the Fab Five.  He was 2 yrs older than Webber and Rose from the same city.  Now these kids had taken his spot.  He was a malcontent.  This is one of the reasons the Fab Five never won a title.  Had he been able to co-exist with the guys, they would have won a title.  The only guy who could really take playing with them was Pelinka (kobe's agent and the guy who screwed over Cleveland's blind owner with Boozer).  Eric Riley a 7ft. who played in the NBA hated them.  So did Voskuil, Bossard, Chip Armour, Freddie Hunter, and everyone else.  Michigan's team was split into 2 factions the entire time those guys were on the team.  Dugan Fife committed for the 1993 season and was able to play with them but that was it on that team.  

As much as I hate Coach K, he had a great quote about "It is never a good idea to have a team within a team" in regards to the Fab 5.  I think he was right on with this comment.  The 5 guys were an amazing story but their desire to stick together defined them but prevented them from winning a title.

Originally Posted by langfor5

Indeed.  It would have been nice had they interviewed the player that was clapping for joy on the Michigan bench when Webber called the TO.
That was Mike T. Chris kept screaming at Mike T, "why did you tell me to call a T? Why!!!"

Jalen wanted Mike T to be in the documentary but no one could find him or get a hold of him. Pretty much after the 93 final he disappeared. Same w/ Chris. Jalen wanted him in the documentary but he wouldn't do it. Couple times he got close but in the end always said no.

Crazy that C was getting 280k over two years and in Albom's book he famously documents the time when Chris couldn't order a second fish sandwich because he didn't have any money.

Jalen will FOREVER be my favorite college basketball player of all time. A story about Jalen. After the end of the Carolina game Fisher still had to go up and take the 'second' place trophy and by that time everyone from Michigan had completely left the building and headed back to the locker room. There was only one person who stayed in the tunnel and waited for Fisher. It was Jalen.

Great documentary.
pimp.gif
When this comes out on DVD it will be a MUST PURCHASE.

langfor - How do you know about Mike Talley?
eyes.gif

Mike Talley is a high school coach in Detroit.  He just finished coaching his son in back to back state title wins for Melvindale.  His son was smallish and moved on to Dusquense(sp?).  Mike Talley Sr. moved from Melvindale to another metro Detroit school this season as head coach.  Trust me, Jalen and everyone else knew right where to find him but Talley wanted no part of this movie...

Michael Talley HATED the Fab Five.  He was the 1989 Mr. Basketball in the State of Michigan and played in the Detroit PSL.  That was serious.  The Detroit PSL was pumping out 15-20 High D1 players a year in the 80s and early 90s.  Michigan had just won the National Title in basketball in 1989 and he signed on to play PG after Rumeal Robinson left.  Rumeal left after the 1990 season and Talley ran the point in 1991 as a sophomore.  He was the second leading scorer (12 PPG) on that team to senior guard's Demetrius Calip 20 PPG.  Talley was suppose to be the man going forward in 92 & 93.  Instead, he was slowly marginalized, with his playing time evaporating over the course of 1992 and eventually becoming zero when Ray Jackson moved into the starting line-up around mid-season.  The guy went from being in an NBA pipeline to a bench warmer.  Fame and fortune erased.  Every michigan point guards in the 80s was drafted in the NBA draft - Eric Turner (incredible talent despite his huge coke habit with Roy Trapley), Gary Grant, and Rumeal Robinson.  He had signed on to be part of that and was brushed aside. 

Talley was very talented but had a terrible attitude about the Fab Five.  He was 2 yrs older than Webber and Rose from the same city.  Now these kids had taken his spot.  He was a malcontent.  This is one of the reasons the Fab Five never won a title.  Had he been able to co-exist with the guys, they would have won a title.  The only guy who could really take playing with them was Pelinka (kobe's agent and the guy who screwed over Cleveland's blind owner with Boozer).  Eric Riley a 7ft. who played in the NBA hated them.  So did Voskuil, Bossard, Chip Armour, Freddie Hunter, and everyone else.  Michigan's team was split into 2 factions the entire time those guys were on the team.  Dugan Fife committed for the 1993 season and was able to play with them but that was it on that team.  

As much as I hate Coach K, he had a great quote about "It is never a good idea to have a team within a team" in regards to the Fab 5.  I think he was right on with this comment.  The 5 guys were an amazing story but their desire to stick together defined them but prevented them from winning a title.

Originally Posted by fersnash

The social divisions of the team is really interesting. Did they mention this in the documentary at all? or is it taboo?

The social divisions of the team is really interesting. Did they mention this in the documentary at all? or is it taboo?

^They did, and they made it seem like Fisher made it all work out just fine. But apparently not
laugh.gif

^They did, and they made it seem like Fisher made it all work out just fine. But apparently not
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sonunox34

It's mentioned, but if they delved deeper into it the doc would've been well over 2 hours long (which I definitely wouldn't have minded). With everything being said Fisher did an amazing job just keeping that team glued together until the NC Game.

Fernash, are you also saying that Talley sabotaged his own team in those final moments of the NC Game?

Originally Posted by sonunox34

It's mentioned, but if they delved deeper into it the doc would've been well over 2 hours long (which I definitely wouldn't have minded). With everything being said Fisher did an amazing job just keeping that team glued together until the NC Game.

Fernash, are you also saying that Talley sabotaged his own team in those final moments of the NC Game?

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Did you really ask that question?
laugh.gif
Who would have the balls to do that...? Especially in a NC Game, where all the cameras are rollin to capture every moment.

Like what the other guys said, it's a human mistake.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Did you really ask that question?
laugh.gif
Who would have the balls to do that...? Especially in a NC Game, where all the cameras are rollin to capture every moment.

Like what the other guys said, it's a human mistake.

just watched. have a new found respect for rose.

this and once brothers are my favorites

just watched. have a new found respect for rose.

this and once brothers are my favorites

Saying Talley did that intentionally may be a reach (a big reach)...but based on what we know about how he felt.. it's not totally far-fetched.

Saying Talley did that intentionally may be a reach (a big reach)...but based on what we know about how he felt.. it's not totally far-fetched.

finally finished watching and realized how much of a beast CWebb was.
gain a new found respect for Jalen. dude was a G

Back
Top Bottom