External Hard Drive Question???????

chicityk7

Banned
im looking to buy a 1 tb whats some good brand? and brands to stay away from........all help is appreciated
looking to spend between $70-120 

are there any brands to stay away from? WD seems to be the best quality from what ive heard

Seagate and Western Digital are standards and are pretty solid. You'll want one that works on both Mac and PC. Some less expensive/older models only work with NTFS or FAT32 partitions (Windows). You get what you pay for,though. Shouldn't spend more than $130 for basic memory needs for 1TB, but 1TB will be so much more than enough. I have a 1TB now that I don't think I'll fill anytime soon.

If you need something portable, get a 500GB Western Digital drive. Small, portable, and reliable.

What's up with the WD Elements, I keep hearing that they have a high failure rate and would die on you suddenly

I remember when Western Digital drives would die quicker then Aftermath contracts.

I got a My Book 500gb, My Book 1.5gb, and a 320gb Passport. All of them are pretty solid. (I know a few people who even travel with them and use them as Serato libraries, So they are pretty much built to keep it together.)

One con, is this dumb factory software it tries to install on your computer thats a pain in the %+% to remove. (It just started on the series of My Books.)

i have a LaCie also, it's been good so far.. i think im going on 3 years now.

only problem i had was with the power cable making a hissing noise. but i called them up and they sent me a replacement free of charge.

i have it networked to share my media with the rest of my PCs.

also have a 320 WD passport i use to move media since for some reason my torrent box doesn't want to connect to my NAS.

both are great.

Originally Posted by givemedanumba

is it worth it to cough up the money for an Apple Time Capsule if your on a Macbook Pro?

NO, NO, NO. (coming from a guy whose completely all apple to the core. Time Capsule is over priced for what it is. Especially when you can just plug in a external USB drive into a Extreme.) 

is it worth it to cough up the money for an Apple Time Capsule if your on a Macbook Pro?

NO, NO, NO. (coming from a guy whose completely all apple to the core. Time Capsule is over priced for what it is. Especially when you can just plug in a external USB drive into a Extreme.) 

Originally Posted by highondust

Yeah listen to this guy. I'm an apple guy as well and that Time Capsule is a POS. Buy a normal external and partition it to FAT32 and HFS+ so it could work with Mac and that you can use Time Machine. FAT 32 allows you to work with both windows and Mac

WD is where its at..I landed a 500 gig off ebay for 32$...
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom