F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Welcome aboard. It's a damn shame you'll have to wait a bit before getting to watch an actual race!

Haha, I'm trying to play catch-up by watching older races.
I don't have a favorite driver/team now, just trying to figure out each driver's style.

what's the word on just how long us newbs gotta wait for an actual race? :nerd:
Like everything else right now. No clue. They're saying they COULD do fanless races, but each race involves hundreds of team personnel... mechanics, engineers, various staff, etc... for 10 teams. It's still a huge risk even if you subtract the fans from the equation.

Haha, I'm trying to play catch-up by watching older races.
I don't have a favorite driver/team now, just trying to figure out each driver's style.

F1 Youtube is literally reairing the 1994 Japanese GP, like, right now! They've been replaying random races over the past few weeks.

Oh, those are the closed-door races then.

Still seems like a huge risk to the hundreds of staff.

Yeah that would be the ideal scenario, but I don't think that it's realistic for F1.
A few teams won't exist, if there are no races this year. Plus the big automotive companies would think twice about their future involvement in F1.

This is fascinating in many ways. It might be just a "game", but they're taking this weekend's race very seriously! Jarv was actually Lando's performance engineer at McLaren last season. Jarv has since moved to the US to work at Arrow McLaren, their Indy team. But now, they're reunited... virtually! Then there's the technical feedback... it's all very interesting to me.

Last edited:
Marko gave an radio interview today.

According to him two races in Spielberg are scheduled for the 5th and 12th of July. Only a rise of infections could stop this plan.
Talks with other European organizers are underway as well.

Although this morning it was announced that the French Grand Prix, due to take place in late June, will not be going ahead, we are now increasingly confident with the progress of our plans to begin our season this summer. We’re targeting a start to racing in Europe through July, August and beginning of September, with the first race taking place in Austria on 3-5 July weekend. September, October and November, would see us race in Eurasia, Asia and the Americas, finishing the season in the Gulf in December with Bahrain before the traditional finale in Abu Dhabi, having completed between 15-18 races. We will publish our finalised calendar as soon as we possibly can.

A little surprising France was completely cancelled instead of postponed, can't say I'll miss it though. Gonna guess we'll see 14 races at the most, all without fans.

I don't see how this is gonna happen though. There are major sporting events that usually take place later this year that have already been cancelled. And I feel that other F1 rounds will continue to cancel as we move forward. Plus they wanna do triple headers and whatnot??? Dare I say, that would be too demanding on all the teams. Then there's the issue of certain countries and how they're dealing with the pandemic... F1 is just gonna assume that they're gonna open their doors and let all the teams in?

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but this sounds almost naive and irresponsible for F1 at this point. The health and safety of all the team personnel must be the priority at this point.

Back
Top Bottom