F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

At this point, we shouldn't have any sport in 2020.

I sort of agree, but we all know it will happen soon eventually. The question is who will be the first. Seems like NASCAR will be? Golf will probably be next.

NASCAR will probably be the first to start up again sometime in May.

Interesting story with Marc. Thought you guys might enjoy.

2 GP's in Austria. :SMH:
Advantage Red Bull

I been watching lots of races of the old seasons. Started off with 2014 and 2015.
I forgot how much faster the cars have become.

I have his ebook on deck. Will need to get around to listening to it!

I forgot how much faster the cars have become.

The thing is... watching these old races now, I don't really notice the speed as much as I do the sound. You can say all the cars now are several secs faster or that they might have 20% more cornering speed, but when we're watching it on the telly, most viewers won't really notice it. What we all do notice right away are the looks and more importantly, the sound. Watching the old races... the V8's, the V10's... the sounds really hit me. I'd gladly take cars that are 20% slower, but with proper engine sounds anyday of the week.

I have his ebook on deck. Will need to get around to listening to it!

The thing is... watching these old races now, I don't really notice the speed as much as I do the sound. You can say all the cars now are several secs faster or that they might have 20% more cornering speed, but when we're watching it on the telly, most viewers won't really notice it. What we all do notice right away are the looks and more importantly, the sound. Watching the old races... the V8's, the V10's... the sounds really hit me. I'd gladly take cars that are 20% slower, but with proper engine sounds anyday of the week.

Yea he's been telling stories from his book on his YouTube channel, only small excerpts but they're really good. Here's another one about the 2008 Brazil GP.

I think FOM don't do the best job of showing how fast these cars are most of the times.
I do notice the speed difference though.

Monaco pole laps through the swimming pool chicane look immense but then during the race with full tanks and tire preservation they look more pedestrian.
Same with direction change in copse at Silverstone.

For the sound, I like the V8's and V10's when watching on boards, especially pole laps but I'm not that bothered about it during the race.
In person though those things are too loud :lol:

^
awesome video! Made me watch the majority of the race again. Still an unbelievable race. Goosebumps.

I agree, that FOM could (probably should) definitely improve the camera/broadcast to show how fast these cars are (especially trough corners). From time to time they are able to show it, but they are just not consistent.

Monaco swimming pool is the only corner that really showcases how quick and nimble these cars really are.

But I'll gladly take 20 of these...

Last edited:
That does sound glorious. o_O
Even sounds better than on TV :lol:

Going to watch the 2008 Silverstone grand prix to compare.

Sometimes I wish the early/mid 2000 cars didn't have groove tires. We would've had the best of both worlds.
Add to that the best looking car IMO.

I love the Mercedes from 2017 onwards but the MP4-24 was just beautiful. Not too long, great looking front wings, low wide rear wings.
Just beautiful.

There are other corners like eau rouge, Suzuka followed by the esses. COTA as well. The camera angles are good because we get to follow the cars around the corners but the downside is the reference point to how fast they are is lost most of the time.

Starts of a bit slow but as you watch, the speed they carry in and the direction change :wow:
Sound is not bad either.

Last edited:
SOmeone wrote this in the comments of the 2008 Silverstone GP video and made me think of you sinner :lol:

Now that sounds like Formula One. I still can't believe that some big FIA cheese thought it was a good idea to change to treehugger kumbaya engines. Bring back the ANGRY engines.

Last edited:
Looks like Seb is done at Ferrari.

Lewis, your turn. Lol

This was expected. If there’s a season this year and he wins a World Championship at Ferrari, the narrative will be re-written. As it stands, however, Seb’s tenure at Ferrari was disappointing for all parties involved. Ferrari never gave him a car he was fully comfortable in. Reliability issues with the car probably cost him the title in 2017. On the other end, Seb made mistakes that cost him several races and the title in 2018.

It was time to move on for both sides. Best of luck to Seb. In all honestly, I was never the biggest fan of his after the “Multi 21” incident wit Webber. I hope Lewis signs with the Scuderia. If not, Ricciardo or Sainz would be great also.

Back
Top Bottom