F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Newbie and casual follower - did red bull upgrade their cars or something? Verstappen dominating.

Was Hamilton always Mercedes?...Im so used to hearing about him being the one winning everything.

Newbie and casual follower - did red bull upgrade their cars or something? Verstappen dominating.

Was Hamilton always Mercedes?...Im so used to hearing about him being the one winning everything.

There was a change in regulations last year so the cars underwent significant changes. Red Bull has designed an extremely fast car that is dominating every race.

Lewis has been with Mercedes since 2013. Before that, he was with Mclaren.

Red Bull has had the best car on the grid by a LONG shot this season. Max, especially, has been dominating all season.
But that's not enough... Red Bull brought updates last race, which made them even better.
Max and the car are just at-one right now. He's having one of those historic seasons.

Lewis was with McLaren for 5 seasons (powered by Merc), then switched to the Merc factory team in 2012.
Dominated from '14-'20 (except for '16)... so, yes, during those seasons, he was the one 'winning everything'.

Thanks for clarifying, dudes. F1 is pretty easy to get into because the races are relatively quick, but the 1 driver dominance is just a little annoying. :lol:
That's just the nature of the sport tho... we had years of dominance by Schumacher, then Vettel later... and then Lewis for a bunch of years... and now it's Max.

One team/driver dominating is only a bad thing if the team/driver you support isn't the one doing the dominating. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Fair point. Because this being my first year watching every race I’m also already over the constant Max dominance. Makes you want to root for everyone else to try and put up a fight. But something about that car just makes him unstoppable.

Fair point. Because this being my first year watching every race I’m also already over the constant Max dominance. Makes you want to root for everyone else to try and put up a fight. But something about that car just makes him unstoppable.
I agree. Wish Checo was more competitive so we could've had another Lewis v Nico type situation at least.

So we are at the summer break and Red Bull has won every race and Max with 8 straight. Is it crazy to think he could win out? Or RBR wins every race that’s left on the schedule? The only way max loses is if he’s in a wreck or that car breaks down but besides that idk how anyone is beating him.

Yea, I don't really see anyone beating him. He's winning by huge margins. The car also seems really reliable.

On paper, RBR (and most likely Max) should win the rest of the races this year. They're gonna stop dev of their car and focus on the '24 car (they've probably already started doing that), so if some of the other teams continue to update their cars, they might be able to close in on RBR, and thus, have a shot at challenging, if not, win a race. But that's the thing... they're so far ahead of everyone else, all the other teams are still trying to close in.

Now that it’s the summer break what are some races you guys would recommend watching from past years? I’m going to start out with 2021 Abu Dhabi.

Jerez ‘97 (reason why Schumacher can never be considered the greatest among others).

Abu Dhabi ‘10

Canada ‘11

Brazil ‘08 and ‘12

Bahrain ‘14

Germany ‘18 and ‘19

If you just watch one or two of them I’d go with the Brazilian races.

Personally I can’t watch AD ‘21 anymore. I’ve watched it several times and it makes me not want to watch the sport anymore.

One team/driver dominating is only a bad thing if the team/driver you support isn't the one doing the dominating. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

One driver dominating is way worse though, if Checo was up there with Max like Lewis/Nico it would at least be a little bit less boring. If we could get that 2014 Bahrain safety car restart type battle every race between the RBs I wouldn't even complain :lol:

On paper, RBR (and most likely Max) should win the rest of the races this year. They're gonna stop dev of their car and focus on the '24 car (they've probably already started doing that), so if some of the other teams continue to update their cars, they might be able to close in on RBR, and thus, have a shot at challenging, if not, win a race. But that's the thing... they're so far ahead of everyone else, all the other teams are still trying to close in.
I thought I saw Max quoted somewhere saying that the 24 development was underway, or maybe it was Horner. Either way, everyone is battling for the second spot like Toto said.

Max is so good. Love him.

I thought I saw Max quoted somewhere saying that the 24 development was underway, or maybe it was Horner. Either way, everyone is battling for the second spot like Toto said.

Max is so good. Love him.

Yeah, I imagine a lot, if not all, the teams have already started on their '24 cars to some extent. The rules won't be changing for '24, so a lot of teams will either evolve from their current cars or look for a completely new direction.

Now that it’s the summer break what are some races you guys would recommend watching from past years? I’m going to start out with 2021 Abu Dhabi.

Just off the top of my (biased) head, I'd say...
Belgium 2000
Japan 2005
Britain 2008
Brazil 2008
Canada 2011

I was on Reddit a couple of weeks ago and there was a thread with people asking for recommendations and 2011 Canada came up a lot.

I was on Reddit a couple of weeks ago and there was a thread with people asking for recommendations and 2011 Canada came up a lot.

Just make sure your fast forward button works :lol:

I'd also add

Monaco '96
Britain '03
Hungary '06
Canada '10
Valencia and Abu Dhabi '12
Austin '15 and '18
Brazil '16
China '18
Turkey and Sakhir '20

Back