Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Originally Posted by Proshares

I'd put Hudson over Dice K.
I agree. I've never been a fan of Dice-K's career WHIP of 1.40.
sick.gif

Dice K's ceiling is MUCH higher than Hudsons though.  Hudson will have 85 strikeouts at the end of the season, and Dice K could have 185.  Yes his WHIP is high, but if he pitches like he can, he will be very good in 3 categories.  Both are huge injury risks.
If I have the choice between the two, I 100% go Dice K over Hudson.  I'll take the guy who can dominate the league at times over the guy who relies on his defense get outs.  
It's hard if you have a high WHIP to be effective. That means you have a runner on base every inning, which means you're in the stretch every inning. It takes a toll. And with having runners on base every inning, it makes it a higher likelihood that they will score, affecting ERA. I've never been a fan of someone with a high WHIP. You can compensate a low K total by having more pitchers to get you more K's weekly.

You're making it sound like Hudson's '08 season where he had 85 K's a bad thing. He had a 3.17 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP. Those are very good numbers.

Hudson has been more consistent over the years. Dice-K had one good year up to this point. I'll take Hudson.
First of all, Dice K had a 1.33 WHIP his first two seasons.  His career WHIP is 1.40 because of last season.  Take that away, and his 1.33 isnt viewed as great, but its not horrible.  Secondly, in his second full year in the Major Leagues, his 2.90 ERA was good enough to give him an 18-3 record.  An injury pretty much cost him his entire third season, but who is to say he doesnt duplicate or even exceed his second year stats?  If healthy, Daisuke CAN be one of the best pitchers in baseball.  The same cant and never will be said about Tim Hudson.

So basically, if he has a sub 3 ERA, I could give a flying @*$+ that WHIP is around 1.33......which isnt even horrible.  
I knew his 1.33 WHIP in his 1st two season were going to get mentioned.
laugh.gif

Look at his BB totals. In his 1st year he pitched 204.2 innings. Ok, that's cool. Scroll over to the BB column, and you see that he has 80 BB's. Ok, I guess.

Look at his next year. He pitched only 167.2 innings and his BB's even surpassed his previous season's mark with 94. More walks in less innings pitched?

That doesn't concern you? Because that concerns me.

His walk total went up yes, but his ERA went way way down.  So how much does it really matter if he is walking the park if they arent crossing the plate?  I say not at all.
Control issues for a pitcher is always something to be concerned about.

And like I said before, he's put into the stretch and the likelihood of a runner crossing the plate is increased. Over the course of a season, it's going to catch up to him. If it never catches up with him, then fine. But as it stands right now, I'm still putting Hudson over Matsuzaka.

So... about my Lance Berkman question?

I want to get your guys' opinion on Lance Berkman. I was involved in two drafts where Berkman fell to the 9th round and the 11th round. Was there a reason why he fell that much or did people just forget about him? I know he was injured last year, but falling to the 9th and 11th round? Prior to his injury last year, Berkman was a 1st or 2nd round pick, easily.

I dont know why he is falling so late. The funny thing about Berkman too, is he has essentially had a good year after a bad year after a good year throughout his career. Chances are he has a good season. He doesnt really warrant nearly as high a pick as he has in the past, but he will produce a good season IMO.

My internet kept going out in our draft, and I wanted to draft Berk in the spot where I autodrafted Abreu.

I would think Berkman would be a round 5 selection just because people would be wary of him being injured last year. Or maybe it's because the offense is pretty weak. Lee and Pence are great but Bourn, Blum, Feliz, Matsui whoever is play short and Cash at C isn't very impressive surrounding them. And Berkman is 34 maybe folks are thinking the downside is coming. Or maybe because the team will probably struggle badly this year. He's been struggling w/the knee injury a bit this spring as well.

But he's a guy who's guaranteed to put up 25-30 HR's and 90-100 RBI's. I think he's definitely worth a 4th or 5th rounder. I don't think he's close to being done.

Originally Posted by JumpmanJordanAddict89

i need some help would you take Ryan Theriot over Plácido Polanco?
What do you need? Help in BA or help in SB? If you need help with BA, then go with Polanco. If you need help with SB, go with Theriot.
thanks 
pimp.gif

I would think Berkman would be a round 5 selection just because people would be wary of him being injured last year. Or maybe it's because the offense is pretty weak. Lee and Pence are great but Bourn, Blum, Feliz, Matsui whoever is play short and Cash at C isn't very impressive surrounding them. And Berkman is 34 maybe folks are thinking the downside is coming. Or maybe because the team will probably struggle badly this year. He's been struggling w/the knee injury a bit this spring as well.

But he's a guy who's guaranteed to put up 25-30 HR's and 90-100 RBI's. I think he's definitely worth a 4th or 5th rounder. I don't think he's close to being done.
I'm high on Berkman this year

And wouldn't you know that Paul brings him up, we have a discussion and now he's having surgery. Going to be out 2-4 weeks.

Anybody else down for a spot in a Yahoo.com Fantasy BAseball league?

Any1 looking to join a paid league, we're looking for a few extra?  (Since I probably won't know any1 of you money needs to be upfront)

$50 a team 10-12 teams if interested PM me.

Originally Posted by OfficerRicky

Originally Posted by RoOk

Anybody else down for a spot in a Yahoo.com Fantasy BAseball league?

if people will be active, PM me im interested.

I'm down PM info if you guys do it.  Yahoo only for me.

Originally Posted by Shady4Life

Should I trade Pablo Sandoval and Jacoby Ellsbury for Miguel Cabrera and Grady Sizemore?

I would. Miguel Cabrera is a late first/early second round pick and Sandoval is going in the third/fourth rounds, while Jacoby and Grady are almost going around the same time. Maybe depending on your team needs? I think Grady will bounce back to at least 25/25, and I always target him when I have the chance, so maybe I'm biased.

Originally Posted by Shady4Life

Should I trade Pablo Sandoval and Jacoby Ellsbury for Miguel Cabrera and Grady Sizemore?
The best overall player in that trade scenario is obviously Miguel Cabrera. The huge question mark is Grady Sizemore. If you feel that Grady can become a 30/30 man again, then side with the Cabrera/Sizemore side of the deal.

With Jacoby Ellsbury, you can dominate SB. Jacoby will get you 60-70 SBs. There were only 2 other players who got 60 SBs, and they were Michael Bourne and Carl Crawford. Having Jacoby puts you in a really good position in that category. Jacoby gets you runs (yeah, I know only 94 runs scored, but remember he was batting in the bottom part of the lineup part of last season) and he did hit .301 last season. Sandoval is still improving. He surprised me with his power production last year and I think he can improve on those numbers this year with the addition of Huff and De Rosa to hit behind him.

It all depends on how your team is constructed. If you can afford a little power for speed, then Pablo and Jacoby is the deal for you. If you can sacrifice SBs, then Cabrera and Sizemore is the deal for you.

I don't see Huff and DeRosa giving him the type of protection he needs.

And I have faith in Grady putting up a big season this year moving down to the #2 hole and possibly getting time batting third.

And I have faith in Grady putting up a big season this year moving down to the #2 hole and possibly getting time batting third.
They're an upgrade over Molina and Uribe (though Uribe did his thing at the end of last year).

They're an upgrade over Molina and Uribe (though Uribe did his thing at the end of last year).
Ehh. I don't really know if they're upgrades. It just makes the lineup stronger because it's deeper now. Less guaranteed outs.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Ehh. I don't really know if they're upgrades. It just makes the lineup stronger because it's deeper now. Less guaranteed outs.
You're probably right. I just looked at their stats. I didn't realize that Molina strikes out less than Huff and DeRosa. I was under the impression that Molina was a free swinger (which he is). He just doesn't walk.
laugh.gif

I also didn't realize that Molina hit for a better average than Huff and DeRosa last season.

I hope you're right though. Hopefully DeRosa bounces back from the wrist surgery and Huff thinks it's 2008 again.

I would honestly take that deal in a heartbeat and I'm the biggest Jacoby Ellsbury fan on here (ask Nowitness).

Rook, start up the Yahoo league man. Let's get this going.

Back
Top Bottom