Filipino Culture Thread

I remember there was a small period of time where we used "Flip" when referring to each other (mostly my Filipino Millennial generation that were about to graduate high school around 2004-2008)............until we discovered it was the Filipino equivalent of the "N word" for our people.

I didn't even know that was derogatory until I got on here. Then again, neither myself or anyone I grew up with used that term anyway. I wouldn't have thought twice if someone referred to me as that. And still won't:lol:

Nah.. been around since early 90s.

Started saying that in elementary school since it seemed cool.

Did not know it was derogatory. Who was using it as a derogtory comment ?

I didn't even know that was derogatory until I got on here. Then again, neither myself or anyone I grew up with used that term anyway. I wouldn't have thought twice if someone referred to me as that. And still won't:lol:

I didn't know it was derogatory either at first.......until I found some random article on Facebook stating that it was some derogatory term used by some US soldiers when they occupied the Philippines in the early 1900s.

But I over-exaggerated, I don't think that is the actual reason Filipino-Americans STOPPED calling each other Flips.

TBH, I don't know why we stopped calling each other Flips BUT reverted to just calling each other the generic "Filipino"

Here in Australia they uses " filo " or " filos ".. Didnt really know what to think of it at first ..i was like ummm ok?

Lived in NZ for about 15 years and never heard such a thing :lol:

Its only derogative if someone other than filipinos use it. Kill that noise, people want to say Flip, let the say Flip.

I know so many groups who incorporate the word Flip in their organizations/groups so if its that derogatory to people, then there would be more backlash on the word.

From 14-17 all I dated were pinays. Was kicked out of my home and stayed in a Filipino household for like a month. The bay area gots to have the most on deck. NYC don't really see them. Filipinos were all shoeheads. Even the ogs
Panset was bomb. ssweet spaghetti was bomb. Food in general was always hella good. Never had a balut. Good *** people. Much love.

Nah.. been around since early 90s.

Started saying that in elementary school since it seemed cool.

Did not know it was derogatory. Who was using it as a derogtory comment ?
It was used in a negative connotation when Filipinos were brought over to the US to work the fields. I had an issue with it, because that's what I studied.

But it doesn't seem to be a issue today.

As long as your respectful and proactive (around the house), you'll get nothing but love especially from the parents,elders

As long as your respectful and proactive (around the house), you'll get nothing but love especially from the parents,elders
Pretty much.

I find it funny how some parents get on their kids to stop being lazy, when they themselves are sitting on the couch watching TFC all freaking day long.

bayblopez_chart.JPG

For those who don't know, Baybayin (incorrectly known as alibata) is actually very easy to learn. A regular script with no marker has an A ending, a top dot is an E/I , bottom dot has an O/U sound while bottom cross omits the vowel completely.

Definitely wanna go to batanes next time I go back....its looks just like scotland but in the tropics

I've been saying this for the longest. Always wanted to visit.

I heard that on a clear day, you can actually see Taiwan from there haha.

-Drew

Just made chicken and pork adobo for the first time and it is fire.

Any of you guys ever do the tour with Carlos Celdran in old Manila?

I learned a bunch from that

Jose Rizal should not be the national hero

Any of you guys ever do the tour with Carlos Celdran in old Manila?

I learned a bunch from that

Jose Rizal should not be the national hero

Toss up on Celdran. Though I can't deny his intellect and know-how of the Philippines, he's become annoying on social media. But yeah, he's quite animated in his tours, and our class back in college learned a lot from him. He even convinced one of my friends to take up masters on cultural heritage.

Toss up on Celdran. Though I can't deny his intellect and know-how of the Philippines, he's become annoying on social media. But yeah, he's quite animated in his tours, and our class back in college learned a lot from him. He even convinced one of my friends to take up masters on cultural heritage.
It’s an eye opening view of being Filipino through the eyes of those who have taken over our archipelago over and over again throughout time

The thing that blew my mind was how Tagalog words all describe the natural world and feelings or social interactions while all other adopted words to our language were introduced with each different ruling country at the time

So MGMT lets a Filipino band do a take on one of their new song and let's them release their video first. Then, MGMT releases their version and the video is about them "stealing" the song from the Filipino band.

I actually heard the Filipino version first before MGMT's and I was shocked the song came from a Filipino band:lol:

It’s weird how mainstream we are now

Like we get mentioned specifically in shows or movies sometimes

I like that they recognize different Asian people now and we aren’t all lumped together

It’s weird how mainstream we are now

Like we get mentioned specifically in shows or movies sometimes

I like that they recognize different Asian people now and we aren’t all lumped together

The funny thing is, I feel like it's always in a "butt of the joke" kind of way and not in a serious way though. Like I love the show Superstore, but we finally get a full Filipino character on tv, and he's a pretty funny character but damn, did he really have to be super gay too?:lol:

Back
Top Bottom