FINALLY, A RETRO OF THE NIKE TRAINER SC II 3/4 DONE RIGHT!! THANK YOU NIKE!

Not feelin the Chlorine cw anymore after seeing the new pic. Might look into coppin white/grey/black cw when they go on sale.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by dhtowng

This is sad. Nike is absurd for this. @Wally I see what you are saying. Didnt know nike has already done this with other retros. Funny how they can re release stuff like Air Max infrared 90s in thier true form. Then turn around and cant release OG infrareds Bo trainers to save thier life.
30t6p3b.gif
Just dont understand the logic of it all. It will be messed if they simply move on as if they gave this shoe its just do.
Whoever was working for the cross training division at Nike "retro" between 1997 and 2001 deserves a medal of honor. Without that 5 year phase, I don't know where trainers would be. Their plan at that time: Original colorways came first, then some off shoot colors based off original blocking. But from 2002 to 2009, releases just really took on a life of their own (in a bad way). Everything was basically forgotten or forgiven since OGs came first.

The crazy thing at that time in 1997, retros hadn't really started to begin. Yet, there they were being cutting edge as they brought out the sc trainer high raider colorway with tumbled leather and a suede/nubuck toebox. A year later we had the auburn and the royal blue. Then in 1999, the "infrared". And during this whole stretch, sprinkles of OG-esque colorways like the lightning yellow or carolina blues, or the burgundy accented pair.

And right as the Bo SC trainer went off on a life of its own, the air trainer 1 and air trainer "III" were there to take over. From 2000 to 2001, 5 original colorways drop. 3-4 more OG-esque colorways came out as well. I honestly feel if there were to be any other model retroed, it had to have happened at that time in 1997 to 2001, because it just hasn't been the same since. With every passing year, those 97-01 era shoes are becoming harder and harder to find and also to wear as glue and foam is giving out. That first era of Nike trainer Retros may be the last. It'll be like that pirate ship the Goonies found, forever encapsulated in time.

If this sounds like a broken record, ive probably said it before. but it bears repeating. Some say the future is bright and Nike "training" has given us a whole lot since 2009, I see it as bleak. But that's for another day
----
In related news, the black-reds are EXCLUDED from discount at eastbay.. There goes my plan for getting the white/grey.blacks. Those are at most a $75 shipped purchase. If one is excluded, all of them usually are, especially GR colors.

Here's something interesting. This black/red has been done before on the auto trainer LAST YEAR. The laziness is sickening
nike-auto-trainer-black-red-fall-2010.jpg

-Looks like the same "nubuck" and shiny pleather too. 96% similar to what we have now.

Talk about hypocrisy. They don't find the black red from fall 2010 on the auto trainer to be too similar to the pair that just released, yet god forbid they do these two again:
nike-auto-trainer-2.jpg
PAAAAAOCNCMCEBJB.jpg

Perfect shades of color.. Perfect blocks.. yet only GS sizes? I said it before, but did tinker piss in someones cherrios and that ax to grind is being done onto all of these OG trainers? You almost have to question, is this real life?

It never ends.
nike-auto-trainer-black-anthracite-1.jpg

Since a black out on an auto trainer isnt enough, we'll be getting another this fall and another in the winter with the SC II. They are rehashing everything but the OG colors from the 2009 auto trainer... Mind Blowing stuff here.

oh well. we'll move on.. another trainer rant for ya'll to read through.
laugh.gif

The Auto-Trainer situation is a complete slap in the face. From the looks of it I'll cop the grey/black/white because of the simplicity of the colorway unless something legit comes out.

I really don't get it either. Honestly as noted they're doing the Griffey line very well, the recent Huarache trainers came out good, the Carnivores in both CWs were great ( they even kept the X-Trainer logo), I even love the Trainer Max 91's from last year the shape seemed a bit better then the previous retro, hell the SC's at least came out with the Auburn and Raiders colorway so why are we getting shafted on the SC II's? At least with the models listed OG colorways dropped.

C'MON NIKE.

Just in case the black reds interested anyone, some more normal camera shots of them
http://forum.sneakers.fr/nike/show-us-your-air-trainer-t15775-540.html
Admittedly, if you can get past all the BS (like nike wants us to do) these aren't half bad looking.
They sit well on a persons feet, just as how I envisioned. Standard fit jeans and pop that tongue out and get your Agassi on.

btw Sinnerp, i love that homer simpson photo.. New phone wallpaper
pimp.gif

^^I should have a pair by this week. I'll take pics in natural outside light. Hopefully these blk red are nicer in person. From pictures thats been taken nice, these shoes aren't so bad considering its not OG CW.

Originally Posted by green rhino123

a lot of yall are gonna cave, i see it

Honestly, the black and red don't look that bad but I would never buy them.  Also,  given the fact that they are playing games by releasing the OG colors on the auto force trainer and then water them down for the actual mens retro is just plain DUMB.  No support here until they do the right thing.

Nike easily could've had a grand from me at this very point in time. Instead all they may hear from me are these incessant complaint posts. I need time to work things out. If I knew an OG colorway was coming out 6 months in advance, plans would be arranged. Instead I fear they may be working on some sort of limited boutique type release of at least 1 of infrareds or teal/lime colorways in the future. The type that just sneaks up on all of us.

But talk about stiff competition. All these regular joe consumers already have their white summer shoe in the white/orange griffey II, which is basically sold out on eastbay. Black based shoes for summer? nah, not really. Many will just gravitate away from this black red release and follow the griffey train that started two years ago and get their black summer pair in the griffey II freshwaters. That's the one true exception for black based shoes.. I just dont see average consumers converging onto these.. Maybe next month with the white/grey/limes.. Or maybe people like the red but got their red shoe out of the nomo max. And the griffey frenzy may be so high that they want their black/red shoe to be the air max jrs @ $160.. I guess what i'm trying to say is, does Nike Sportswear Retro division talk amongst each other about what's releasing and in what colors? Not one single shoe on the market can compete with an all white upper, with grey and black monochromic hints, and INFRARED accents. The current black.red does not stand out at all.

It's always something with these late 80 trainers. It can never just be a smooth simple release that WOWs all walks of life. The struggles don't have to be there.

I just can't get with you guys on the black/reds looking "okay". Like you mentioned earlier Wally, making the upper all black not only discredits the entire design of the shoe, but also makes it look like any other black shoe with some red on it. Seeing the real photos, IMO, makes them even nastier. Look how boring they look on your feel and how the material actually looks like vinyl...
sick.gif

Just imagine how many necks you would snap with the white/infrared or white/teal/yellow joints...

Who has designated summer shoes? I wear all my shoes be it fall, winter, summer, spring. But I live in LA where the weather is nice most of the time. But ya, people actually have designated summer, fall, winter, spring shoes?

Who cares about neck snapping? If that what people care about now days? Thats the problem, a lot of people are more concerned how many necks they'll break with a special edition shoes or OG shoes thats yellowed the F out. Wear what you like. Who cares what other people think. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by ptngina

Who has designated summer shoes? I wear all my shoes be it fall, winter, summer, spring. But I live in LA where the weather is nice most of the time. But ya, people actually have designated summer, fall, winter, spring shoes?

Who cares about neck snapping? If that what people care about now days? Thats the problem, a lot of people are more concerned how many necks they'll break with a special edition shoes or OG shoes thats yellowed the F out. Wear what you like. Who cares what other people think. Just my opinion.

I agree with you for the most part.  Some of the NT community ( not really the folks that frequent this thread I don't think though ) are primarily interested in "turning heads"/"breaking necks" with their kicks.  While that's not for everyone, to each their own.  As far as Summer, Winter, seasonal type stuff, yeah, in Cali, that's probably much less an issue than say Wisconsin, where I am from.

All I think Wally was trying to say, is that a shoe like the Griffey Max 2 in white/orange/grey, is probably less "wearable" or people are less inclined to wear that in crappy weather(snow, heavy rain, sleet, slush) given its likelihood of getting easily dirtied and ruined over say an all black shoe or more rugged high top/boot model.

I like to wear mayflys, air max 1s, lunar racer type stuff in summer, but I really can't justify wearing that in the winter here.  Just doesn't make sense.  Hopefully that helps clear up summer/winter/year round "rotation" discussion.

Looking forward to your pics Ptngina. Did you cop the Mauer Huarache lows by chance?

Bryscooplaygrifhold---Ya, I copped a pair of the Mauer but they still back ordered from eastbay. I wasn't ragging on Wally's comments. I was just seriously curious about people having different rotations for different seasons of the year. But ya, I get it. People that have crappy weather have to think of what to wear so they dont ruin a nice pair of sneaker. I, luckily, don't have to worry about that for most part cause of where I live, the weather hardly gets really bad.

I'll post pics soon as I get them on eastbay, the SC2. As far as this shoes or some of the other retros, its sad that Nike can't get it right. Yes, sometimes I have to settle for these non OG CW 'cause of the fact that these shoes are my fav shoe of all time. Im not an expert or a guru or what not. Im just like shoes and buy what I like instead of falling into hype or neck breaking or what not and having these shoes, even at non og cw brings back good memories from back in the day. With that said, I've passed up on some Retro with OG CW 'cause it didnt appeal to me. Comes back to buying what I like and not what will break necks or people think is kool. Thats just me.

The black reds are boring to me. They're the type of sneaker you buy at an outlet, because it's a steal, but you never wear them.

The only pair I see myself getting are the neons, and that's because I want one pair of these.

Im just confused at the lack of consistency by Nike. How can you have so many colorways coming out and not one true to the originals. Do they have different people at Nike making the decisions. Or does one person choose and what the hell is he thinking? " Well we will put OG colors on the Trainer SC, but we are not going to do it with the II. We will mess up the Tech Challenge, but will use the right colors on the tech challenge II. The Air Trainer I, III, and SC had the color blocking right, granted the colors were a tad bit off. But the SC II just doesnt come close in terms of color blocking.

So Nike's thinking is: OG Color Blocking for Some Retros, and Total opposite for the others.

I've been a sneakerhead long enough that I really don't care what people think of my shoes, but ulitmately we wear what we think looks good and what will impress other people, no matter how much you like to argue that you don't. I don't buy shoes to "break necks", but when they do, it feels good. Its human nature.
I live in Cali also and to me there's definitely warm and cold weather shoes. In the winter months I'm not gonna wear mesh runners because it gets cold and wet up here in Norcal. And in the summer when its hot, you usually wear white or lighter colors and shoes to match that are meshed based to keep you feet cool...

But back to the subject, I'm just salty that, yeah, they're pumping out all these LS colorways and completely ignoring the ones that made us love the shoe in the first place.

When I feel like wearing a shoe, I wear it. I dont care if its raining, snowing, summer or winter. I have too many shoes and designating some for certain seasons of the year is just not feasible for me. While it is funny and nice to see someone double take at your shoes, I couldnt care less if someone thought I was wearing the wrong shoe for summer or winter.

You're in a relatively warm weather climate. If you stayed in a area with more drastic seasonal changes you'd probably feel differently.

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

I've been a sneakerhead long enough that I really don't care what people think of my shoes, but ulitmately we wear what we think looks good and what will impress other people, no matter how much you like to argue that you don't. I don't buy shoes to "break necks", but when they do, it feels good. Its human nature.
I kind of feel the same way subconsciously. I really love the infrared and teal/limes. AND I feel others would simply eat them up as well. Do I care if a  shoe is or isnt a neck breaker? No.. Never. Would it be cool for others to finally see what we've been seeing for years and go crazy over them? Maybe just a little. For others to like something I love, you would feel a certain validation.

I got into trainers because I liked the history of the genre, the design of the shoes, and the cost was within my means (ie. they werent very popular among the masses). So for a trainer to finally reach the masses, i think the teal-limes and infrareds could put trainers on the map.

And if a high top would scare people, give us these

As far as summer or winter shoe argument that I brought up, Bryscooplaygrifhold is right on the money with where I was trying to say. Maybe my perception is wrong but don't underestimate the snow,sleet,slush, cloudy day crowd who may not wear a white majority shoe for 3-4 months or if they do, its one day every two weeks. So when they saw those griffey IIs in white orange, they copped immediately. That's the competition for the SC II right now, and yet they are coming out with a black based shoe. And if you really wanted a black based shoe, you would have people already into grif's from the last griffey 1 release that will get the blacks, and then your new air max jrs in black red.

I was just trying to make a point that this release schedule combined with the colorway choice for the SC II is really BAD. Or shall I say not ideal for success. Some shoes just scream "summer shoes". Some shoes can sell themselves any time of the year, like how many of these were released year round in the late 80s. But often times you need the aid of the calendar to set a released up right. I'm doing Nikes job here but if something fails, I tend to look at variables as to why. Release date and competing models are one of those.

It would've been an interesting showdown to see a infrared sc II matchup with a griffey II black/freshwater in the same month. The white oranges may not have sold out with a white trainer coming out.. Anyways thats how I see it. It could be completely off base
laugh.gif

well said as always Wally.

I love the juxtaposition of the "Passin Me By" Pharcyde DVD behind the shoe...perfect

Originally Posted by Magic1978

You're in a relatively warm weather climate. If you stayed in a area with more drastic seasonal changes you'd probably feel differently.

Ya, I already said I get it for people that live in bad weather places...haha

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

I live in Cali also and to me there's definitely warm and cold weather shoes. In the winter months I'm not gonna wear mesh runners because it gets cold and wet up here in Norcal. And in the summer when its hot, you usually wear white or lighter colors and shoes to match that are meshed based to keep you feet cool...

But back to the subject, I'm just salty that, yeah, they're pumping out all these LS colorways and completely ignoring the ones that made us love the shoe in the first place.
I agree with that 100%. Thats what Ive been saying all along in site and another site, buy what you like and who cares what other people think.

Back
Top Bottom