FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Kilos tend to fit bigger than most frames, and run about 2 sizes bigger. Go with the 50, the 53 will be too big.
Another bikesdirect kilo 
laugh.gif

Seriously though, they're a great bike for the money.

Yeah I know. Just saw Bike Direst on a skateboard forum and browsed around her and then saw it on another forum when searching on Google and realized it wasn't a big secret at all. I mean I am not in this whole thing for the sport of it. I am not going to skid or jump off sidewalks or whatever these guys do. I just want to transport to farther areas without relying on bus routes (I live in SF).

So let me ask you.....I saw a place in SF that sells a Bianchi Pista for $629. Is that more worth in investing into or should I just get the noob bike on Bike Direct? I just acquired $500 and like how I can get a decent bike for super cheap on Bike Direct and maybe use the rest of the money for some parts. But I am not sure if I should brand !#*%% a get a Bianchi just cause that is the brand that people swear by.

I suggest you go with the kilo and see how you like it, before you drop a bigger chunk of change on an expensive bike.

A few things I suggest you upgrade as soon as you get the bike are the tires, clips and toe straps.

Do you plan on running a brake?

quality wise the bianchi isn't a significant upgrade for the price.
the tt with a couple upgrades is a great bike.

Most like I will have the brake on and have it as a freewheel. Maybe later I'll convert it into a fixie but not yet. I haven't ridden a bike in like 10 years back in high school. I know I can ride still but don't want cars crashing into me cause I am not used to riding in the city.

I am thinking on getting the Kilo T pro:

kilo_tt_pro_yellow_chrome_xi_600.jpg

But do you think this is worth the extra $100 to get the following features:

PRO Upgrades from the regular Kilo TT:
Classic Chrome Fork Tips and Seatstays with Custom paint
Pro-grade Forged Aluminum Sugino Track crankset (130 BCD)
Custom Alex SUB 30mm V-Aero section wheelset - Wheelset alone is worth $350 to $400
Precision Sealed Bearing Hi-flange Hubs
Tektro RL570 cross top lever + R350 front brake - Valued at $40
Custom paint colors
KMC Gold edition chain
Fast rolling Kenda Koncept Lite Kevlar bead tires

Or should I just get the regular Kilo TT?

If you're gonna run it as a freewheel, either bike will suit you just fine with little to no upgrades.

Upgrading to the pro for $100 isn't bad, but the upgraded parts they up on there aren't the best. You'd probably be better off saving the $100 and spending it on quality parts, if you choose to upgrade. In short its an ok deal, just because $100 isn't going to get you very far on quality parts.

In case you plan on upgrading parts, I'll share this with you, never pay retail. Persistence and patience will get you parts way cheaper than retail.

Good stuff. Appreciate the help on this all. I feel a lot better getting this bike now.

Another question. What's good with Leader frames/bikes? Are they any good? I see them on Craigslist and they look pretty cool and range at decent prices. See one in SJ for $650 and it's all spiffy looking.

I think I am going the Craigslist route instead of bike direct. Bikes are constantly updated everyday.

Burn916,

did i see the macramento preview, or the full length piece when they had that bike film fest downtown across from hot italian a few months ago? were you at that? the inflatable outdoor screen and the projector?

Sup guys. Back with another question.

Is it common to second guess parts on a bike? Like do people sell frames on bikes saying it is a certain brand when it isn't? For example, I see some bikes on Craiglist that state they are selling a custom Bianchi bike but either the frame has been spray painted or I can't seem to identify the bike frame from the pics. The bike seems clean and up to my standards but he is selling his almost new bike for $250 which seems way too cheap.

Should I not even bother with this guy then:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2103727351.html

Things look even fishy with the whole pics and everything but I e-mailed him and he lives around the way from me. Guys said the frame was a Bianchi Brava. Aside from getting jacked in person (I wouldn't even bring the money at first visit), I don't really see any caution to just checking it out.

But now I am getting all shook when all I want is a cheapo bike.

Fong I would buy that kilo and start fresh. It would be good so you can upgrade and learn about new parts. Then in the long run you can upgrade to something better. Thats what I did. Heres my bike. Oh yeah I wouldnt buy that bike

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Should I not even bother with this guy then:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2103727351.html

Things look even fishy with the whole pics and everything but I e-mailed him and he lives around the way from me. Guys said the frame was a Bianchi Brava. Aside from getting jacked in person (I wouldn't even bring the money at first visit), I don't really see any caution to just checking it out.

But now I am getting all shook when all I want is a cheapo bike.
It's a cheap conversion, might not even be Bianchi steel. I would stay away, and spend your money elsewhere.

Alright....good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I might still do the Bikedirect thing but every time I think about doing it, I always see a deal on Craigslist. I had a chance to get a Bianchi Pist Chrome for $450 but the seller didn't seem into the idea that I lived in SF since he lived in San Jose. I guess even when I catch a deal on Craigslist, there are a ton of others checking out the same thing as well.

I don't really care about brand. I just want a nice bike with a brake that looks pretty sweet. Where should I start looking?

I've lived in DT Sac for about 3 years and I really need one. I feel stupid driving places sometimes.

^ Sweet man thanks. I think I met you yearsss ago when I worked at City Kicks here in Sac.

I totally forgot but my buddy runs bikereviews.com. He said he can help me put a good bike together for a good price.

Here's a pic of his. he said about $2500 he spent. Its super clean though.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Alright....good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I might still do the Bikedirect thing but every time I think about doing it, I always see a deal on Craigslist. I had a chance to get a Bianchi Pist Chrome for $450 but the seller didn't seem into the idea that I lived in SF since he lived in San Jose. I guess even when I catch a deal on Craigslist, there are a ton of others checking out the same thing as well.
I still regret building a conversion without much knowledge. It was my first bike and I thought I could save money, boy was I wrong.

Should've bought a Kilo initially. Don't make the mistake I made.

Oh God, that Vigorelli above is atrocious.

That Bianchi doesn't even have deep V or custom parts. You should have red flagged it as soon as you saw this:
3nd3kf3l65V05Z45Q3ac918d65095e3e11b8b.jpg

If you don't need a bike immediately, Craigslist will have gems.

^^^^Yeah....I saw that too and my e-bay instincts kicked in, but I still get swayed by the price or whatever. I am wondering if he is some guy that meets potential hipsters and just beats them up for fun. I actually just found out he has another listing on Craiglist and that one is more foobar then the one I posted.

GetHigh420....yeah, I remember you dude. That was a long time. I swear I haven't been to Davis ever since then. Haha.

And what is wrong with that Cinelli? I don't even get it.

Originally Posted by GetHigh420

^ Sweet man thanks. I think I met you yearsss ago when I worked at City Kicks here in Sac.

I totally forgot but my buddy runs bikereviews.com. He said he can help me put a good bike together for a good price.

Here's a pic of his. he said about $2500 he spent. Its super clean though.

No way he spent that much, not even close.....maybe half of that. 

An no, no its not 
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom