FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

So I've been riding my Trek 4100 for a while, and recently I started thinking about how much fun my first bike was... some Huffy thing with spiders on it and #%!#. I was the most boss 7-year-old on the block. Anyways, the point is that I remembered how much I loved skidding and sliding on it (it was fixed). I'm considering converting it to a fixie, or at least a flip-flop hub for now.

So for NT's fixie enthusiasts, thoughts? I think I could probably still get $150 for the bike. Would it be better to convert it or just sell it and...?????

I'm open to ideas.
get yourself a proper fixed gear.

I'm on the fence about buying a bike from BD. I'm a beginner, but I plan to bike a lot since it will be the only means of transportation. I've recently bought a Globe Roll 1 from a friend, but I feel like a hunchback riding a 52. Anyways, the point is, I want to buy a brand new beginner bike. Is Windsor The Hour or a Mercier a good starting fixed gear?

http://www.bikesdirect.co...s/mercier/kilott_pro.htm

or

http://www.bikesdirect.co...ucts/windsor/thehour.htm

The good thing about the Kilo tt is that it comes with a brake and it has sealed hubs.

EDIT- Also, do Mercier bikes have the same sizing as Globe Rolls?
Thanks for the help.

its been at least a year since ive posted here, rafsjays, have i missed any good bikes? im thinking of selling the ol pista...haven't been regularly riding it at all.  
EDIT:  did I have my zipp on last i posted or my aero?  anyhow, got a new wheel right around that time
yeahhh.jpg

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

ill buy that zipp :]

this thing is the death wheel...its really light, but i feel like the thing is going to break in half riding on streets out here...new hed/specialized tri-spokes are composite carbon, which is way heavier and stable than this 90's model.  aerospoke are even more urable then all of em, although they weigh a TON

I didnt know a darn thing about fixed bikes until I read this.. Seems cool. I wouldn't buy one, but I wouldn't knock it either.. Ride on, playas

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

I'm on the fence about buying a bike from BD. I'm a beginner, but I plan to bike a lot since it will be the only means of transportation. I've recently bought a Globe Roll 1 from a friend, but I feel like a hunchback riding a 52. Anyways, the point is, I want to buy a brand new beginner bike. Is Windsor The Hour or a Mercier a good starting fixed gear?

http://www.bikesdirect.co...s/mercier/kilott_pro.htm

or

http://www.bikesdirect.co...ucts/windsor/thehour.htm

The good thing about the Kilo tt is that it comes with a brake and it has sealed hubs.

EDIT- Also, do Mercier bikes have the same sizing as Globe Rolls?
Thanks for the help.

I would go for the Kilo if you had the money for it... The Mercier runs big (the 55cm is more of a 58cm from center to TT... 53 is more of a 55-56.. etc etc.)... I would get fitted for a bike but if you're too lazy to do that just measure your inseam and post it back here...

my current stable (because im bored and this thread is slow 
ohwell.gif
)
8d715d4680279f298469e083f4b556ab948e499_r.jpg

b8f25af44e8d32c290420646f29a3a4907306c2_r.jpg

ff415c4b822f972fb45823bd432a7f2d62a517a_r.jpg

Originally Posted by damn its me

its been at least a year since ive posted here, rafsjays, have i missed any good bikes? im thinking of selling the ol pista...haven't been regularly riding it at all.  
EDIT:  did I have my zipp on last i posted or my aero?  anyhow, got a new wheel right around that time

you havent missed much. i check this thread once a week or so and there is hardly ever any new post...

I've got a good, new bike for you...just got back from Interbike today
maca04-PINP-thumb-500x333-1536.jpg

maca02-PINP-thumb-500x333-1530.jpg

maca01-PINP-thumb-500x333-1527.jpg

Raleigh x Macaframa x Mike Giant

via Prolly

yo sjf can you recommend me some good water bottles houses for my seat. is the one you have on your fixed good? or are metals ones better?

Are fixed gears bad for your knees? I have a Fixie that I haven't converted. I've been hesitant because I don't know how to ride fixed, yet.

Thats little matt!
laugh.gif

I've known him for a bit, been riding with him since he was like 16 (i think). That fool has always been wiling to try some gnarly ##!+

Whoever was asking about the seat post water bottle cage, its pretty legit. Great for bikes that aren't drilled for cages.

^ Nice...that sounds about right. I think Matt is only 19 now.

He has really been grinding lately...can't wait to see his complete section.

Back
Top Bottom