FIXED GEARS

Geez.....I got tired from just watching him do that. My legs and lungs don't have the strength for that.

I am seeing how it's kind of fun finding parts for cheap. Craigslist remind me of when I used to dig for records at music stores. Another mans junk is another mans treasure. Going to get some almost new Nitto B809 handlebars for $30 with grip. Beats paying $80.

Originally Posted by Kazuum

dsc0807o.jpg
that bike is beautiful, how much does it go for, just the frame?

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

that bike is beautiful, how much does it go for, just the frame?

Thanks man
smile.gif
You can get the newer version of the frame on probikekit for 600-10% (so 540). Took me a while to track down the 09 frame though, I like the decals a lot better
laugh.gif

Versus the 2010 model:
cinelli-vigorelli-2010-med.jpg

Kazuum- Nice Vigorelli.
I really want to get Vigorelli but I also want to get a Bianchi Super Pista.
Which one is better?

Thanks man
smile.gif
You can get the newer version of the frame on probikekit for 600-10% (so 540). Took me a while to track down the 09 frame though, I like the decals a lot better
laugh.gif

Versus the 2010 model:
cinelli-vigorelli-2010-med.jpg
yea the 09 version does look a lot nicer, the 10 looks too plain

Originally Posted by Meetthahustla

Kazuum- Nice Vigorelli.
I really want to get Vigorelli but I also want to get a Bianchi Super Pista.
Which one is better?

They're both essentially the same material and construction wise. Only differences are really geometry and preference.

Footage from the iMiNUSD trick comp...Wonka, Santos, and Boothby killing it

i have a dawes fixie
how much would an aerospoke or any other decent rim and crank run me ?

Originally Posted by jhill12

i have a dawes fixie
how much would an aerospoke or any other decent rim and crank run me ?

Areospokes are a $300 waste of money. They look cool, but weigh a ton.
A decent wheel will run you about $200+ depending on components, and about the same for a decent crankset.

I'm glad theres a fixed gear thread here since everyone on other bike forums seem like pretentious douchebags. I've got a question about gear ratios- what ratio do you guys find it easiest to skid on? Sometimes I just think its impossible to get seated skids with anything less than a 17t on the rear. I've run 40/17 (easier skids but lower top speed) and 44/15( forced to do nuts to stem to skid so I ended up riding a brake but can top out much much better). I recently bought a 48t chainring and 19t cog so I'm looking forward to testing everything out once the SoCal rain clears up. Here's the latest pic of my bike, even though it's been built up since.

x2_3be1128

The less gear inches you run the easier it is to skid, but once you get it down you can do it with just about anything.
I run a 49t chainring and run anywhere from a 15 to 18t cog and have no problems skidding.
Sure its a little harder but you get used to it.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I road my bike yesterday and man was it hard. I even mapped out a path around SF so it was mostly flat ground but it is impossible to not find hills where ever you go. I road it to the beach and back and I was beat. Also kind of found myself in an a scary situation where I was going down a hill near Alamo Square and I couldn't stop. I tried as hard to slow down by back pedaling (I can't do that skid junk for the life of me) but luckily there was a green light in my direction, so I just went for it and was ok.

I guess I finally appreciate all those Mash SF guys (not all of them) cause that's stuff is a lot harder then it seems.
get a brake regardless.  but do you know how many gear inches you are running? i'd say get a cog with more teeth if you are struggling now.  then later on when you're stronger you can throw something on there with less teeth and fly.

Originally Posted by alljayevryjay

I'm glad theres a fixed gear thread here since everyone on other bike forums seem like pretentious douchebags. I've got a question about gear ratios- what ratio do you guys find it easiest to skid on? Sometimes I just think its impossible to get seated skids with anything less than a 17t on the rear. I've run 40/17 (easier skids but lower top speed) and 44/15( forced to do nuts to stem to skid so I ended up riding a brake but can top out much much better). I recently bought a 48t chainring and 19t cog so I'm looking forward to testing everything out once the SoCal rain clears up. Here's the latest pic of my bike, even though it's been built up since.

x2_3be1128
What's up with that saddle?

^ Thanks for the tip rafsjays. Currently I'm running the 44/15 (79ish gear inches) and damn its a female dog to skid hence why I run the brake. Also, I feel pain in my uhh pelvic region on the pulling leg during seated skids. Is that something people get used to?

And about the saddle, its probably your monitor since I believe you're referring to that dip which is actually it just blending into the backseat of the jeep.

^^^^Damn....that is like one of those "when you see it, your mind will be blown images". I couldn't even see the saddle being straight but now I see it.

So wait, there is a specific gear ratio that makes it easier to skid? I kind of ran into this whole thing on the Hypebeast forum thread on fixies. I wonder if that is an issue with my bike because I can't back pedal and skid for nothing. I didn't know adding a brake on a bike was so damn expensive.

Also, anyone have a ballpark on how much it would cost to paint a bike professionally? I actually think that is the biggest upgrade I want to do to my bike instead of getting some rims or whatever.

^ Thanks for the tip rafsjays. Currently I'm running the 44/15 (79ish gear inches) and damn its a female dog to skid hence why I run the brake. Also, I feel pain in my uhh pelvic region on the pulling leg during seated skids. Is that something people get used to?

And about the saddle, its probably your monitor since I believe you're referring to that dip which is actually it just blending into the backseat of the jeep.

If you're feeling pain, you're not doing something right.
As you're legs get stronger it'll get easier.

Fong, its not really about gear ratios, but gear inches. The less gear inches you're running the easier it is to skid, and also in your case climb hills.

Lower gear inches give more torque, but cause a lot of spin. Higher gear inches are faster, but are harder to get going, and skid.

As far as paint, I personally think that painting a bike is a waste of money. Simply because it ads little to no value. 

Ride the bike for a while, if you still want to paint it just buy one in the color you want. By this point, you'll might want an upgrade anyways.

Heres a good site for calculating gear inches/skid patches etc. http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

Oh I see. Since a fixie runs on one gear, you are just finding the right gear for the rider. Thanks for that link.

And I guess I feel you on the paint thing. I always thought that is what people did was paint their frames. I am just not feeling the chrome on my Pista.

The other thing with skidding on a fixed gear is that you want to use a ratio where there are numerous skid spots - so the wheels aren't always in the same couple of positions with your preferred crank position. If you have that then you can get big flat spots on your tire. The more spots you have the longer your tires will last.

More info here but the easiest way is just running a 17 tooth rear as that always gives 17 skid spots - it just doesn't divide into anything.

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Hm, like it feels like my femur is being pulled out of my pelvis, if that makes sense. Its fine when im doing nuts to stem, its just the upward pull when seated thats painful (left leg for me for now). Man what am I talking about I don't even need to skid because I've got brakes aha.

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Hm, like it feels like my femur is being pulled out of my pelvis, if that makes sense. Its fine when im doing nuts to stem, its just the upward pull when seated thats painful (left leg for me for now). Man what am I talking about I don't even need to skid because I've got brakes aha.
That's pretty normal for the first few weeks. There's something about pedalling all the way round that uses slightly different muscles - I rode a lot before I rode my fixie and I could hardly walk for a couple of weeks. It gets much easier quite quickly though.

So just another random question for you guys. I found a guy in SF that does paint jobs on bikes. I figure I am not that heavy into this whole bike thing where I need another frame, so I am going to go and just fix the one I have. The guys seems creditable and he's been featured in Loop mag and some other bike magazine.

So my questions is this. I have literally the option to go with any colorway but for whatever reason, I think I am going to keep things simple because I don't want to attract that much attention where someone will want to rip me off on the streets. So since I have a Bianchi Pista, I was thinking about just keeping it stock and doing the Bianchi Pista Concept colorway with turquoise decals and the black fork. Is this faking the funk? Meaning...is it like taking a regular Acura Integra and turning it into a an Intergra Type R?

2008_bianchi_pista_concept_frameset.jpg

Normally I am not a guy that is all wishy washy about what people think but I then I really don't know this whole culture and don't want to be that noob that is doing things wrong. I still might go with some crazy blue or green but this is what I had in mind so far.

yeah, kinda.
could turn out good though. tough call.
if anyone says anything just say its sharks color
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom