FIXED GEARS

^^^^Haha! I hate hockey so bad too. And speaking of which, check this junk out:

IMG_3047.jpg

I guess I have some time to think about it. I more or less want a white frame and want it similar to the bike below. Maybe I'll just leave the fork white instead of black.

5148444004_31b9d89e58.jpg

So I am back with another question. I pretty much am getting rid of my bike that I bought because I don't want to do a "fix me up" and just want a clean looking bike off the bat. I saw this on craigslist and was wondering if you guys thought it was a good deal. I am kind of clueless on Fuji frames so I wasn't sure on what to think of the price ($700 with no front wheel)

tumblrleu8ai0mdf1qfr8b2.jpg

frame: 53cm fuji 2005 track pro carbon fuji fork and fsa headset $450
cranks: fsa carbon cranks and 49t fsa chainring with fsa bb $100
wheel: rear b43 w/ 17t new cog and new lock ring $140 (wheel was trued yesterday at bicycle express)
pedals :animal pedal w/welgo straps $30
seat: orgin8 $20
handle bars: risers with oury grips $25 nitto rb21 bullhorns $45
chain: diamonback silver chain $10

^^ Swap out that seat and you're good, but I'd try to talk him down to 650-600.

Anyways, did a 16ish mile ride the other day. Took a snap at the park.

163495_488293929789_653204789_6104103_950771_n.jpg

dude, i would definitely try to talk the dude down at 700 for a ftp. im selling my panasonic for a steal (1100 complete) and people still want to go down. panasonic njs > ftp

I thought that the whole point of riding a bike was to have a mechanical advantage in traveling from one place to another... or for sport.

Can someone please explain this whole "fixed gear" phenomenon (or whatever you want to call it)?  It just seems very counter-intuitive to me...

Originally Posted by red mpls

I thought that the whole point of riding a bike was to have a mechanical advantage in traveling from one place to another... or for sport.

Can someone please explain this whole "fixed gear" phenomenon (or whatever you want to call it)?  It just seems very counter-intuitive to me...

Lighter, more simple efficient in the drivetrain process, and (to me at least) I like the customization more. For a daily commute it works great for me. For longer distance stuff, a road bike/geared bike does make a lot more sense.

Originally Posted by Kazuum

Lighter, more simple efficient in the drivetrain process, and (to me at least) I like the customization more. For a daily commute it works great for me. For longer distance stuff, a road bike/geared bike does make a lot more sense.
Or to put it more simply.....a new fad.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Kazuum

Or to put it more simply.....a new fad.
laugh.gif

That also works
laugh.gif

Chest Rockwel - Im literally speechless.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Nike Jordan - building is usually for mid-upper range bikes (makes it more cost efficient). If you want a cheap but reliable commuter bike and aren't overly concerned with specific parts, bikesdirect makes great affordable ones.

Originally Posted by Nike Jordan

As a frequent bike rider, how easy/cheap is it to build a fixed gear bicycle?
How easy? Very with the correct tools and a little know how.
How cheap? Depends on the quality of the components. But to make a long answer short, not very. On a decent bike expect to pay $600+ easily, a really good frame/fork combo can cost $1000+

I got a problem with my bike now -.- I noticed today that my chain tension changes according to crank position. while I was skip-stopping, I lost chain and fortunately was running a brake at the time. Seeing how the chain gets loose from 8/2 - 9/3, I'm forcing myself to skid with the non-dominant foot now. What part should I swap out first to fix this?

Originally Posted by alljayevryjay

I got a problem with my bike now -.- I noticed today that my chain tension changes according to crank position. while I was skip-stopping, I lost chain and fortunately was running a brake at the time. Seeing how the chain gets loose from 8/2 - 9/3, I'm forcing myself to skid with the non-dominant foot now. What part should I swap out first to fix this?

It's probably a stiff link. Find the stiff part (take the chain off, or spin the cranks slowly), then bend it back and forth until it loosens up. That should fix it.

Originally Posted by alljayevryjay

How old is the chain?
Chains to stretch over time, you might need to replace it.

Or maybe your just running your chain tension too loose.

reprocess-4.jpg

So the Fuji guy on CL flaked on me and then I saw this brand new for $650 on CL as said eff it. I guess this is going to be my new project.

And I know what you guys are saying. What's a newb getting an expensive frame for when I don't know jack about the fixie thing? (at least I would be asking that anyways). I don't know...I guess I am just that poser that just wants a cool bike. I have had so many hobbies from collecting shoes, DJing, and skating that I just look as this as another venture. I was going into tons of bike stores in SF and realized I wanted a new bike rather then fix up an old one. This thing is going to take me months to get running though cause I am broke as hell now, but I guess I am in no rush.

Dope super pista.
No one will say anything as long as you ride.
Also, make sure you build her up right.

Back
Top Bottom