FOAMPOSITE DISCUSSION Nike Air Foamposite One SWOOSH ALL OVER DEC192019

Best Foamposite Release Of 2017 (Pick Your 3 Could Only List 10 Max.. Omitted Metallic Gold Pros)

• Total voters
I think they flat out cost more to produce, so if they're trying to maintain a specific margin, $180 price point may not cut it, particularly at the lower volumes.

3CAA6AEB-2F7B-4A49-A1C0-D0238A8A5ACE.jpeg

Weirdly, I think it’s because Nike set the retail price for them waaay too high during peak foam hype. Now, if they discount them or drop the retail price, it will seem like they are releasing an inferior product so I think they just started limiting production so foam enthusiasts/afficionados will still cop at retail.
IIRC, the Penny’s were $180 in 1997. So they started high.

IIRC, the Penny’s were $180 in 1997. So they started high.
Yeah I wanna say they were the most expensive shoes Nike had come out with at the time. The Air Command pumps were $170 in '89, so adjusted for inflation they'd have cost more, but the MSRP was lower.

Yeah, that's almost $400 today. Wild...
It’s still baffling that people actually purchase them lol at that price back then. Although, I was only 2 years old in 89, if I was old enough to get sneakers and ask my mom that, she would think I’m crazy. I wonder if they sold out in 1989 at that $170 MSRP.

I remember vividly when the Jordan 17’s released in 2/2002 for $200, it was a big uproar and they definitely sat on shelves for awhile until they dropped to $150 here in the DMV..

It’s still baffling that people actually purchase them lol at that price back then. Although, I was only 2 years old in 89, if I was old enough to get sneakers and ask my mom that, she would think I’m crazy. I wonder if they sold out in 1989 at that $170 MSRP.

I remember vividly when the Jordan 17’s released in 2/2002 for $200, it was a big uproar and they definitely sat on shelves for awhile until they dropped to $150 here in the DMV..

Oh yeah they sold back then - it was crazy. Reebok Pumps were enormous sellers, but the Nike's tanked - probably one of their biggest failures and one of the few times (along w/ Boost), that they were totally one-upped by a competitor over a technological innovation. They were super-duper rare, and the orange built-in pump of the Reeboks stood out a lot better than the CO2 hookup the Nikes needed.

Unlike Reebok Pumps, when Foams came out they weren't as abundant as they are now, IIRC, think of them as like a hype release with maybe 1/10th the amount of pairs of a standard GR. The amount of robberies over Foams was absurd, too - the media had a field day over it. Jordans were dying off because MJ was with the Wiz by then and the designs got a lil whacky, whereas Foams represented the (expensive and exclusive) future.

Back
Top Bottom