Food For Thought: Is there REALLY that much different between African Americans & Africans?

Whats up NT,

This is for open discussion. I had a convo with my Gf (shes African American, my parents are from Nigeria but i was born and raised here). She said she wasworried that since she was black she will have problems interacting with some of my family members outside of my parents....she thinks that they willautomatically hate her cause she is black.

Now my question to yall readers are.....is this really a true trend that goes on or does this only occur in regions

Discuss

laugh.gif
smh.gif

domn Afreecons

Originally Posted by T11Time

it all depends really

What does it all depend on?

I mean im raised around everyone and my fam is excepted of everyone so this stereotype is new to me. Do alot of people feel this way??

I know that afro caribbeans consider themselves different from black americans and africans and therefore interact with them differently. So im guessing thesame goes for black americans and africans.

I've heard black americans tell hard working africans to go back to their country all out of ignorance, and I know some africans look down on blackamericans. This girl in my english class, who is nigerian, said africans tend to have a better work ethic and consider education to be more important thanblack americans so they feel like black americans are lazy and ignorant.

This has confused me for quite some time.

There is indeed some sort of divide between Native Africans or those born of Native African Parents...and African-Americans. It's crazy when you thinkabout it because I haven't really noticed it as a problem until recently due to my own circumstances.

Me and my dudes ran through some Delta's months ago and my man was trying to bag one of em who happened to be Eritrean. I made a comment to him like"Eritrean broads are baaaad" and he said "Eritrean? I thought she was black". I'm just looking at this dude like he's joking orsomething because I just assumed EVERYONE considered us all black. Apparently there is a LARGE number of people who think like this. I got two African chickson my team...one Ethiopian, one Somalian. I took one of em to this Hookah lounge where alot of Middle Eastern/African people frequent and dudes were giving methe mean ice grill from the moment I stepped through the door. I've experienced that when I used to mess with this Salvadorian broad but that was to beexpected...I already know they don't like to see their chicks with other men...especially brothers. But this situation with the African chick confused mebecause I'm looking at these dudes like, "%+#$+, we all black. What's the problem".

I even know certain African broads who won't talk to "African-American" dudes and only deal with fellow natives or white dudes. There is aprejudice from both groups that I don't know what the root of it is. Sad really...we're virtually the same.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

You serious? Completely different.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Im like you OP i have Nigerian parents but i was born in raised in America.

First off African Americans are intolerant of Africans but they wont admit it. I cant tell you how many jokes about my name and my heritage i heard while i wasgrowing up.

From my experience, African Americans always made an effort to make the distinction. I always interpreted it as them looking down of Africans simply because ofthe falsely perpetuated notion that Africans were "lacking" or "dirty" or "savage" as a consequence of a prejudiced media.

Essentially, African Americans always had their nose in the air and walked around with an "I'm better than you" attitude...
ohwell.gif
...of course, these were the young adults (middle school -- early incollege)...but then again, children often times imitate the disposition of their parents so that's saying something...
tired.gif

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

Originally Posted by Pmighty

african americans arent accepted in africa or america
go figure

Damn. thats real talk right there.

cosign... most hated on race in history no matter what! hey but i don't care love me or hate me I'ma still #!$+ me a girl in every race....

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

From my experience, African Americans always made an effort to make the distinction. I always interpreted it as them looking down of Africans simply because of the falsely perpetuated notion that Africans were "lacking" or "dirty" or "savage" as a consequence of how the prejudiced media portrayed them. Essentially, African Americans always had their nose in the air and walked around with an "I'm better than you" attitude...
ohwell.gif
...of course, these were the young adults (middle school -- early in college)...

From my experience it goes both ways.....African Americans who have fell to European ideals of beauty and intellect on "animal-like" Africans. Aswell as Africans who feel that all African Americans sag there pants, have no respect, and in the process practice equal self hate as american blacks.

Im Not You wrote:

There is indeed some sort of divide between Native Africans or those born of Native African Parents...and African-Americans. It's crazy when you think about it because I haven't really noticed it as a problem until recently due to my own circumstances.

Me and my dudes ran through some Delta's months ago and my man was trying to bag one of em who happened to be Eritrean. I made a comment to him like "Eritrean broads are baaaad" and he said "Eritrean? I thought she was black". I'm just looking at this dude like he's joking or something because I just assumed EVERYONE considered us all black. Apparently there is a LARGE number of people who think like this. I got two African chicks on my team...one Ethiopian, one Somalian. I took one of em to this Hookah lounge where alot of Middle Eastern/African people frequent and dudes were giving me the mean ice grill from the moment I stepped through the door. I've experienced that when I used to mess with this Salvadorian broad but that was to be expected...I already know they don't like to see their chicks with other men...especially brothers. But this situation with the African chick confused me because I'm looking at these dudes like, "%+#$+, we all black. What's the problem".

I even know certain African broads who won't talk to "African-American" dudes and only deal with fellow natives or white dudes. There is a prejudice from both groups that I don't know what the root of it is. Sad really...we're virtually the same.

Its sad but true, and it occurs with all types of "Black" people; African Americans, Africans, West Indians. The divide between these groups isridiculous being that we are all virtually identical other than differences which arise from location.

When I was in elementary and middle school we were just black. Once high school started the same people that claimed they were black now demanded to be calledEthiopian, Trinidadian, Nigerian, Jamaican etc.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

From my experience, African Americans always made an effort to make the distinction. I always interpreted it as them looking down of Africans simply because of the falsely perpetuated notion that Africans were "lacking" or "dirty" or "savage" as a consequence of how the prejudiced media portrayed them. Essentially, African Americans always had their nose in the air and walked around with an "I'm better than you" attitude...
ohwell.gif
...of course, these were the young adults (middle school -- early in college)...

From my experience it goes both ways.....African Americans who have fell to European ideals of beauty and intellect on "animal-like" Africans. As well as Africans who feel that all African Americans sag there pants, have no respect, and in the process practice equal self hate as american blacks.

Good point...

/\ He said what I was going to say. It definitely goes both ways. I know Africans who view African Americans...Males in particular...with the same prejudicementality that many Whites often see us based on negative sterotypes. I know Africans who make "Bling Bling, Rap or Play Basketball, etc." jokestowards African Americans.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

There is indeed some sort of divide between Native Africans or those born of Native African Parents...and African-Americans. It's crazy when you think about it because I haven't really noticed it as a problem until recently due to my own circumstances.

Me and my dudes ran through some Delta's months ago and my man was trying to bag one of em who happened to be Eritrean. I made a comment to him like "Eritrean broads are baaaad" and he said "Eritrean? I thought she was black". I'm just looking at this dude like he's joking or something because I just assumed EVERYONE considered us all black. Apparently there is a LARGE number of people who think like this. I got two African chicks on my team...one Ethiopian, one Somalian. I took one of em to this Hookah lounge where alot of Middle Eastern/African people frequent and dudes were giving me the mean ice grill from the moment I stepped through the door. I've experienced that when I used to mess with this Salvadorian broad but that was to be expected...I already know they don't like to see their chicks with other men...especially brothers. But this situation with the African chick confused me because I'm looking at these dudes like, "%+#$+, we all black. What's the problem".

I even know certain African broads who won't talk to "African-American" dudes and only deal with fellow natives or white dudes. There is a prejudice from both groups that I don't know what the root of it is. Sad really...we're virtually the same.

smh.gif
indifferent.gif

disgusting

Africans look down on African Americans
African Americans look down on Africans
West Indian/Caribbean people look down on African Americans/Africans
Africans/African Americans look down on West Indian/Caribbean people

Its a wild cycle.

I am both. I am African by birth and African American mentally.
I also reside in Africa right now.

Just as stated above its stereotypes that seperate the two.
Most definitely the cultures are different due to the distance.

Older Africans look down on African Americans and so do their children in many cases.
But there are many young Africans that respect their American counterparts.

It is all misinformation.

Ex. One Black American chick was shocked to hear that we have garages in Africa.

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

Im Not You wrote:

Its sad but true, and it occurs with all types of "Black" people; African Americans, Africans, West Indians. The divide between these groups is ridiculous being that we are all virtually identical other than differences which arise from location.

When I was in elementary and middle school we were just black. Once high school started the same people that claimed they were black now demanded to be called Ethiopian, Trinidadian, Nigerian, Jamaican etc.
Exactly

it wasnt until recently at a Association of Black students gathering at my school is when I realized that.....

One of the announcers had the audicity to give my GF an award for finishing her 2nd year of med school. And then backdoored and said "The rest of theawards go to my 'Real Blacks'" meaning (Jamacian, Nigerian, Trinidadian, Ethiopian) it had me and her
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

SuperAntigen wrote:
From my experience, African Americans always made an effort to make the distinction. I always interpreted it as them looking down of Africans simply because of the falsely perpetuated notion that Africans were "lacking" or "dirty" or "savage" as a consequence of a prejudiced media.

Essentially, African Americans always had their nose in the air and walked around with an "I'm better than you" attitude...
ohwell.gif
...of course, these were the young adults (middle school -- early in college)...but then again, children often times imitate the disposition of their parents so that's saying something...
tired.gif

That's unfairly placing the blame on one group when they are all equally at fault.

Africans look down upon African American just as much. I know, I'm African American and my landlord is African. There are stereotypical jokes that all thegroups use towards one another.

The bottom line is this, If another race wakes up tomorrow and says " We're gonna wipe out every Black person" you better believe they comin forall of us

As I kid I didn't think so

But as I got older I realized that they are completely different

I am Latino by the way

Back
Top Bottom