Food For Thought: Is there REALLY that much different between African Americans & Africans?

the only reason i can see why african americans aren't expected by africans is because they dont seem to accept the fact that they're african.

that's not too say all african americans have this mindset.

i just think it's silly either way.

you cant really born and breed african americans to identify with their african roots when they know no better.

Originally Posted by flatbush147

africans dont really like african americans..........
I don't think that's the case, I think its mostly the older African parents, not liking certain aspects of American (not just AfricanAmerican) culture, aspects that they deem undesirable for their kids.
Like most immigrant parents, they want their kids to get an education, work hard, and be upstanding citizens. Anything they see going counter their beliefswill get "hated" on. I highly doubt that they would hate on African-Americans / Asian-Americans who share their ideals.

Yeah I just want to add that I understand what this is about even though I'm not black. Being Vietnamese, I'm in the transitional generation gap (This is a made up term by me) . I was raised by parents that have the full Vietnamese cultures installed in me, yet I fully understand the American culture and upbringing. I'm caught in the middle and can navigate through both. Latino- Americans and Asian- Americans separate themselves from the new immigrants coming in all the time. I never liked this myself, when Vietnamese kids of the new generation would put down the FOBs( Fresh Off the Boat or Fresh Off the Border.)

There is a cultural difference if the Latino- American or the Asian- American has assimilated too much. From my experience, the American kids look down on the "FOBs" because they think they are better , or they're irritated by the way the "FOBs" interact with each other because they have a different culture. Both came from the same tree, but people just want to divide themselves. The "FOBs", in return, look down on the American kids because they think American kids are less street smart, lazy in their work ethic, and can't hustle. I don't see people uniting, but it really irritates me because I've been back to Vietnam too. Vietnamese in Vietnam don't accept me either lol. They have a term called Viet Kieu which means American or Foreigner. I hate the term FOB, it just doesn't make sense to me. My parents and all these new generation kids once had parents that were FOB. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I just want to let the Africans and the African- Americans on this board know, other ethnic groups see what you guys are going through too even though we're not black.

Good post, FromThaTown
You bring up a good point. Cultures who have been living in certain place for a while are never fond of the FOBs that come over, regardless of ethnicity.

Just some rare positive depictions and re-enforcement. You should check out this guys weekly Youtube show too. Great stuff...

I think the culture is different. It's like comparing a white russian, to a white italian, to a german american. Hello?

Back
Top Bottom