FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Hard to pass up old school deli's like that, you might have to question the sanitation in the spot but if that is on point the sandwiches are great.

Actually, it was an old spot but they kept it clean. Always judge a restaurant by the bathrooms. They had old fixtures & what not but they kept it really clean. They had old school workers that took pride in what they did. They don't make 'em like that no more. It was like walkin' into a old *** barber shop. You get to choppin' it up with the staff. Then the final touch was the cashier... You either got the really nice grandma like lady that would call you baby or honey or the mean *** lady that reminded you of the lady that used to wop Martin on his show with her purse. Sadly, Lenny's ain't around anymore. They had a location in the city & another on the west side of Baltimore County (Reisterstown).

Last edited:
This is my favorite.

0FE50B6E-73F6-4BC2-830B-30A557A6351E.jpeg

Actually, it was an old spot but they kept it clean. Always judge a restaurant by the bathrooms.
:nthat:
Yup the bathroom is key, moms was a food inspector back in the day. Host or waiter would sit us down, moms would slip head to the bathroom look around, check out the kitchen. If it was a no go she would come back and say lets go, if she sat down then we knew it was alright and we can order drinks. LOL. Wife is the same way with hotel rooms, checks the sheets, blanket, etc. Daughters and I just hang back by the door until her test is over, don't even bother putting our luggage down. :rofl:

Lexington Market got like 4 spots in there that whip the subs up like an old school deli...slice the meat and all that right when u order, used to get the seafood sub or turkey/roast beef mix :pimp:
I haven't been to Lexington Market in like yeeears... I used to loooooove Andy's sheese steaks... For 5 blickis you get a steak sub, fries, & a root beer.... fried/chopped onions & mushrooms, crushed hots, lettuce, tomato, a lil bit of mayo.... I forgot the place's name that had all that fried chicken, the fried gizzards... I'd get either a chicken box (with western fries of course) with a half n half, spray a bunch of hot sauce in there or get the chickens gizzard box, or even mix it up.... Get some roasted peanuts.... Pollock Johnnys.... Damn.... good times... Heard they got lots of zombies down there now...

Last edited:
:nthat:
Yup the bathroom is key, moms was a food inspector back in the day. Host or waiter would sit us down, moms would slip head to the bathroom look around, check out the kitchen. If it was a no go she would come back and say lets go, if she sat down then we knew it was alright and we can order drinks. LOL. Wife is the same way with hotel rooms, checks the sheets, blanket, etc. Daughters and I just hang back by the door until her test is over, don't even bother putting our luggage down. :rofl:
My dad had a teppanyaki (Japanese steak house) in Pittsburgh & then later just outside Pittsburgh in Monroeville (called Shogun). Still there. I think it's owned by one of my aunts now. Anyway he used to stress the bathrooms be kept super clean. He'd go back & make sure the bases for the toilets & behind the toilets & everywhere else were sparkling. After service, I remember the whole kitchen would get scrubbed down with soap & water including the air duct hoods... I had to help clean the hoods over the tables....

I haven't been to Lexington Market in like yeeears... I used to loooooove Andy's sheese steaks... For 5 blickis you get a steak sub, fries, & a root beer.... fried shopped onions & mushrooms, crushed hots, lettuce, tomato, a lil bit of mayo.... I forgot the place's name that had all that fried chicken, the fried gizzards... I'd get either a chicken box (with western fries of course) with a half n half, spray a bunch of hot sauce in there or get the chickens gizzard box, or even mix it up.... Get some roasted peanuts.... Pollock Johnnys.... Damn.... good times... Heard they got lots of zombies down there now...
Yea its been a mess down there for a min, nothing nice about it...just get your food n dip

They talking re development tho, so that probly means condos and a whole foods :lol: :smh:

Man the level 1 cook is just F-ing up those cookies. How you leave them in to long, not super impressed with the hardness of the pro chef cookie either. I don't want a crunch in my cookie.

Toll House makes better cookies than Mrs. Fields. Who says otherwise?

Yea its been a mess down there for a min, nothing nice about it...just get your food n dip

They talking re development tho, so that probly means condos and a whole foods :lol: :smh:

One of my wife's childhood friends works for the city doin' outreach. She goes to Lexington Market quite a bit for work. Helping folks get treatment if they want, some basic medical attention, get into various programs. She says its pretty bad down there now.

Man the level 1 cook is just F-ing up those cookies. How you leave them in to long, not super impressed with the hardness of the pro chef cookie either. I don't want a crunch in my cookie.

Toll House makes better cookies than Mrs. Fields. Who says otherwise?

U trippin
Mrs fields on point
Them lil nibblers are :pimp:

My dad had a teppanyaki (Japanese steak house) in Pittsburgh & then later just outside Pittsburgh in Monroeville (called Shogun). Still there. I think it's owned by one of my aunts now. Anyway he used to stress the bathrooms be kept super clean. He'd go back & make sure the bases for the toilets & behind the toilets & everywhere else were sparkling. After service, I remember the whole kitchen would get scrubbed down with soap & water including the air duct hoods... I had to help clean the hoods over the tables....
Is it still in your family, my wife family is from Pittsburgh and we are always up there. Also my brother in law, my sister's husband is also from Pittsburgh. You know how people are about their sweets up there, so my mother in law's side had a bakery they been hitting up for YEARS. Like 20/30 years, well I put them on to the bakery my brother in law and his family been going to for YEARS, like 15/20 years. No comparison, I believe it is Blue Bonnent.
Blue.PNG

Is it still in your family, my wife family is from Pittsburgh and we are always up there. Also my brother in law, my sister's husband is also from Pittsburgh. You know how people are about their sweets up there, so my mother in law's side had a bakery they been hitting up for YEARS. Like 20/30 years, well I put them on to the bakery my brother in law and his family been going to for YEARS, like 15/20 years. No comparison, I believe it is Blue Bonnent.
Blue.PNG
If that's the bakery in the Homestead section, yup. Very familiar with it or I used to be. Not sure if you would consider it odd or not, but I remember they had a really really good cheese danish. My dad's restaurant used to be downtown not far for a Hilton, then he had to move to Monroeville, PA which is about a half hour outside the city (near the Monroeville Mall that has or used to have an ice rink). The restaurant, Shogun is still there. It's kinda shaped like a Japanese temple with a blue tile roof (at least it used to be). Not sure what it looks like now.

Dawg what? You didn't know people could be born and raised in Manhattan? Where there are hospitals and residential buildings everywhere?

You are better than this DC....
Clearly I am not better than that.

Not shaming me for not knowing something.

I didn't know

Kimchi Papi Kimchi Papi
I will certainly have to get some recommendations next time we go up to PA. Their are so many places to eat in Pittsburgh it is insane.

I don't know if I am just bored working late but I am finding these really entertaining.

Glad the food scientist changed her clothes.

All the big chain sub-shops are pretty average to me, at least of the one’s I’ve tried - Quizno’s, Subway, Jersey Mike’s. My favorite actually is probably a place called Togo’s, but I don’t have one near me anymore and don’t know if they exist outside of CA. I’m not saying that one was great; just good for a chain.

My favorite sandwich spot ever is Bay Cities Italian Deli in Santa Monica. The Godmother sandwich there is a thing of beauty.

I personally feel like "sandwiches" can only be SO good. (Feel the same way about cupcakes and doughnuts too)

So even the best ones to be, are just sandwiches.

Not wow-ed from a sandwich.

Speaking of deli-types.

Not a CFA type. Or Burger. Or a Portillos Italian SauSage

Back
Top Bottom