FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Been waiting to post in general again for a looooooong time. It's feels good to be back!

I started playing around with sous vide a few years ago trying to make the perfect steak at home.

Looking at about a pound of ribeye steak. 42 day dry aged at my local butcher. Basic kosher salt, fresh pepper and a sprig of rosemary with some garlic powder
IMG_20190521_171148.jpg

Little bath to cook through. I'm pretty sure I went 131°f for about and hour and a half.
IMG_20190521_171508.jpg

After removing the excess juices, I try to Pat dry as best I can and then air dry while I get the cast iron smoking. Looks gross, but it's actually fully cooked. IMG_20190521_192433.jpg

I'm an idiot and didn't snap a pan shot. But here is the finished product. Letting it rest with an extra Pat of butter, and the basting garlic and rosemary
IMG_20190521_193443.jpg

Sliced. I tend to not be sure of my timing and overdue the searing on both sides.
IMG_20190521_193805.jpg
IMG_20190521_193803.jpg
to each their own but the milky fatty parts dont look appetizing to me

For my Maryland folks, good or decent seafood spots in Montgomery County? Want to try a lobster roll this weekend

For seafood I go to either Crisfield or All Set in Silver Spring. Not sure about the lobster rolls specifically though. If you're looking just for that, I would hit up Luke's Lobster in Bethesda. Pretty sure it's a chain, but they're good.

to each their own but the milky fatty parts dont look appetizing to me
Not gonna lie, it isn't my favorite either. I've given Ribeyes multiple chances, but NY steaks are favorite. Only reason why I got it is because of the age because it really brings out the beefy flavor.

Wife has a work trip in Minneapolis, anyone have any food recommendations. Interested to see what they have to offer.

Just had my first sandwich from WaWas. Toasted Wheat Bread; Chicken Salad; Spinach; Sweet Peppers; Black Pepper. Good as hell man.

Also, funny YELP review I came across.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/suicide-bridge-restaurant-hurlock

The manager Craig could learn some manners. I was born and raised here in Secretary and we visited here often. I since have moved away and came back to visit my parents tonight who are still locals here and frequent this restaurant 2-3 times a week. Mom had a bad night where the waitress asked how my mother's steak was. Mom was honest and said didn't like the cut so the waitress took it back. Mom told her no she didn't want to be the problem but the waitress said no problem. When the manager found out that it was due to the cut (a cut that was not tender.... not what she was paying for) was sent back he charged her for two steak dinners. Note she didn't ask for it to be returned and if she was charged two dinners where was the rest of the dinner they brought out to her.

Tonight the manager Craig came by and Mom spoke up. She told him her feelings were hurt and that she didn't send back the steak. She wanted him to know she wasn't causing trouble but he said she sent back too many steaks. Now folks she comes in 2-3 times a week for over many many years. If a steak is under or over cooked and you are spending $$$$ on it wouldn't you expect a good steak? She didn't even send this one back. Craig told her that she will never be allowed to send another one back. This is ridiculous. If they don't know how to cook steaks why is the customer punished.

What's worse is Mom likes the waitresses and the environment but no longer feels she is welcomed to eat there. A place they've supported for decades. If Mom was making a seen or was wrong then I'd get it but I watched how he spoke to her. No longer do I wish to support Suicide Bridge while Craig treats customers like this. Cook the steak right and this wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Just had my first sandwich from WaWas. Toasted Wheat Bread; Chicken Salad; Spinach; Sweet Peppers; Black Pepper. Good as hell man.

Also, funny YELP review I came across.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/suicide-bridge-restaurant-hurlock

The manager Craig could learn some manners. I was born and raised here in Secretary and we visited here often. I since have moved away and came back to visit my parents tonight who are still locals here and frequent this restaurant 2-3 times a week. Mom had a bad night where the waitress asked how my mother's steak was. Mom was honest and said didn't like the cut so the waitress took it back. Mom told her no she didn't want to be the problem but the waitress said no problem. When the manager found out that it was due to the cut (a cut that was not tender.... not what she was paying for) was sent back he charged her for two steak dinners. Note she didn't ask for it to be returned and if she was charged two dinners where was the rest of the dinner they brought out to her.

Tonight the manager Craig came by and Mom spoke up. She told him her feelings were hurt and that she didn't send back the steak. She wanted him to know she wasn't causing trouble but he said she sent back too many steaks. Now folks she comes in 2-3 times a week for over many many years. If a steak is under or over cooked and you are spending $$$$ on it wouldn't you expect a good steak? She didn't even send this one back. Craig told her that she will never be allowed to send another one back. This is ridiculous. If they don't know how to cook steaks why is the customer punished.

What's worse is Mom likes the waitresses and the environment but no longer feels she is welcomed to eat there. A place they've supported for decades. If Mom was making a seen or was wrong then I'd get it but I watched how he spoke to her. No longer do I wish to support Suicide Bridge while Craig treats customers like this. Cook the steak right and this wouldn't be an issue.
id never eat there again if i was her
off principle
the customer is always right
not in the ra world
but u should have that mindset
when u run a business
lame
i would boycott
i wonder
was the lady black
and the owner white

Back