FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Shepherd's pie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shepherd's pie or cottage pie

Vegetarian and meat shepherd's pies for sale in a market
Shepherd's pie (lamb) or cottage pie (ground/minced beef) is a meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato.

The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are minced red meat ("cottage pie" refers to beef filling and "shepherd's pie" refers to lamb), cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions and sometimes other vegetables, such as peas, celery or carrots, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked. The pie is sometimes also topped with grated cheese to create a layer of melted cheese on top.

By that logic you can use anything in the form of a crust. We know that isn't the case.

Mashed potato isn't a crust by any logical stretch. You are being fooled by the ame.

Shepards Pie isn't PIE.

pie

noun (2)
Definition of pie (Entry 2 of 3)

1a: a dessert consisting of a filling (as of fruit or custard) in a pastry shell or topped with pastry or bothan apple piea slice of pumpkin pie… desserts include lots of berry pies, butter pecan ice cream pies with a hot caramel topping, flummeries, and crisps.— Judith and Evan Jones
b: a meat dish baked with biscuit or pastry crusta chicken pie— compare POTPIE

Shepards pie is missed something here.....

pie

noun (2)
Definition of pie (Entry 2 of 3)

1a: a dessert consisting of a filling (as of fruit or custard) in a pastry shell or topped with pastry or bothan apple piea slice of pumpkin pie… desserts include lots of berry pies, butter pecan ice cream pies with a hot caramel topping, flummeries, and crisps.— Judith and Evan Jones
b: a meat dish baked with biscuit or pastry crusta chicken pie— compare POTPIE

Shepards pie is missed something here.....
Pie
A pie is a baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough casing that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savoury ingredient

If I take baked beans, mixed it with onions, peppers, and ground beef and top it with mashed potatoes, could I call that a pie?

Why/Why not

Sausage Gumbo.

20190609_122229.jpg

Made a Chocolate Roux
20190609_171853.jpg

20190610_141221.jpg

It happens, man.

In one of the sports threads I got called racist for using the term “color commentator”. I was actually referring to a white dude, but someone assumed I meant “colored” in the early 1900s sense. Gotta love NT.
Hahhahahaahahahaahahahaahaaahahahahahahaahahahahahaa

Back
Top Bottom