FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

665664B1-41CE-43D9-9BBB-E870C57F5249.jpeg

38EA9559-9819-48A6-A73D-F975F5A995FF.jpeg

0570B4B5-440D-468E-8E5E-699633A4BC23.jpeg

CACF3295-44FC-4773-A408-272504474674.jpeg

41CAB3E0-E39F-481F-8269-786B413BB294.jpeg

I cooked ribeye steak this evening with mushrooms, onions, and garlic. I decided to go with those because I preferred to finish the mushrooms sooner to prevent spoiling. I actually had gold sweet potatoes sliced and stored already, but I can use that later with another steak I cook.

The experimentation continues for me. I intend to use the same temperature and exact time to cook my steaks because I think I have it down to a science so to speak. Perhaps I should have stopped using the cast iron press earlier during the cooking because it heated up to well done temperature really fast with these ingredients. I hope this one wasn't overcooked.
IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4963.JPG

The ribeye steak I cooked this evening ended up coming out thinner than I prefer. It was definitely well done, perhaps too well done based on the thinness.

I think I'll always be safe with the specific temperature and exact time I use to cook steaks on the cast iron skillet, but I think I just have to know when to stop using the cast iron press on the steak during the cooking depending on the ingredients I cook with.

I need to utilize the digital meat thermometer more so I know when to stop using the press if it reaches the well done temperature.

I think I'm noticing the steak will heat up much faster if I cook with mushrooms, onions, and garlic since they have juices leaking out on the skillet with it which accelerates the heating. I noticed steak doesn't heat up as fast if I cook with sweet potatoes since they're dry by default with really little juices, so that necessitates that I need to use the press a little longer.

Cooking is definitely an experimental process because you will have to f up foods to figure out how to cook particular things properly.

Why are you using a press?

It actually helps it cook through more thoroughly which I prefer.

If I just cook the steak without the press while I still turn it to get both sides cooked, it won't cook thoroughly because the heat won't seep through strongly. I would also have to use more time to cook.

I think the press helps the consistency with temperature and timing. I just have to time when to stop using it early during the cooking now for whatever I cook.

It actually helps it cook through more thoroughly which I prefer.

If I just cook the steak without the press while I still turn it to get both sides cooked, it won't cook thoroughly because the heat won't seep through strongly. I would also have to use more time to cook.

I think the press helps the consistency with temperature and timing. I just have to time when to stop using it early during the cooking now for whatever I cook.
It should only take like 6-10 minutes (depending on thickness) to cook that steak perfectly in the cast iron. No need for a press whatsoever.

The ribeye steak I cooked this evening ended up coming out thinner than I prefer. It was definitely well done, perhaps too well done based on the thinness.

I think I'll always be safe with the specific temperature and exact time I use to cook steaks on the cast iron skillet, but I think I just have to know when to stop using the cast iron press on the steak during the cooking depending on the ingredients I cook with.

I need to utilize the digital meat thermometer more so I know when to stop using the press if it reaches the well done temperature.

I think I'm noticing the steak will heat up much faster if I cook with mushrooms, onions, and garlic since they have juices leaking out on the skillet with it which accelerates the heating. I noticed steak doesn't heat up as fast if I cook with sweet potatoes since they're dry by default with really little juices, so that necessitates that I need to use the press a little longer.

Cooking is definitely an experimental process because you will have to f up foods to figure out how to cook particular things properly.
No need for a press. How do you like your steaks cooked?

Back
Top Bottom