FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Taco prices been on the rise here too. They went up a buck across the city when restaurants started opening back up during the pandemic. They just kept going up from there. Pre pandemic 2020 Tacos were like $2-2.50. They're around $4 now at most joints.

MJ still has a couple Steakhouses here. One in the Mag Mile and in Oak Brook. Seems to be doing ok based on Google, but I've only been there once for our 8th grade graduation dinner so I can't really speak on the food quality. It probably gets a lot of tourists.
Screenshot_20220808-202019.jpg
Oh damn! They have a 4 1/2 star rating? Nvm, I take back what I said earlier :lol: .

Oh damn! They have a 4 1/2 star rating? Nvm, I take back what I said earlier :lol: .
Actually, now that I'm looking at the pics, that's not the original restaurant he had. I guess the "Michael Jordan Restaurant" from the 90's that I remember did close down when he left the bulls. Looks like he opened these new Steakhouses after. The OG restaurant wasn't as fancy. I remember it was like a sports bar restaurant. And it did flop like you said.

But yea, I feel like most celebrities restaurants don't do too well also. I imagine most celebrity owners aren't really hands on with the day to day operations and have others run the business. The quality and success is probably more in the hands of the people they hire.

Anyone tried chocolate mole? If yes, is there a place you can recommend in LA? Not sure how I feel about chocolate and meat together but I’m willing to give it a try.

Reese sandwich have a lot going on.

Anyone tried chocolate mole? If yes, is there a place you can recommend in LA? Not sure how I feel about chocolate and meat together but I’m willing to give it a try.

Reese sandwich have a lot going on.
Chocolate should just be one of a lot of ingredients like maybe even 20+ different things
This 1 place I tried mole at was terrible so I avoided it for years but a good mole is really good

Actually, now that I'm looking at the pics, that's not the original restaurant he had. I guess the "Michael Jordan Restaurant" from the 90's that I remember did close down when he left the bulls. Looks like he opened these new Steakhouses after. The OG restaurant wasn't as fancy. I remember it was like a sports bar restaurant. And it did flop like you said.

But yea, I feel like most celebrities restaurants don't do too well also. I imagine most celebrity owners aren't really hands on with the day to day operations and have others run the business. The quality and success is probably more in the hands of the people they hire.
That all makes sense. The OG one like you said did close long ago I remember. Yeah, the celebs just mainly put their name on it to attract locals/tourists but they are never around to set or follow up on standards & that leads to the place closing.

Do you remember Michael Jordan's clogged oh & Hummer? I think the Jordan one wasn't half bad...don't remember the Hummer one.

Stopped by this somewhat local spot not too far from me called Matese on Franny Lew blvd. Had their Sicilian like a year ago & remember it being real good. Today, I went with regular, spinach & deep dish.

The deep dish had a nice undercarriage but cheese & sauce were pretty ordinary. Regular one was pretty good but the spinach one was definitely my favorite. Had only 2 bites of it & it wasn't overly heavy & the spinach had a beautiful rich flavor.
20220809_140143.jpg
20220809_144327.jpg

Recently paid 10.40 for a regular slice and margarita sicilian.

The 12” regular pie was $10.

What did i miss?

I took the L like a scholar and a gentlemen but my mind and heart were on D-Day mode.

Yea pizza is a actually a good business to go into :lol:
I don’t exactly know about todays prices but in the past few years a 18” cheese pizza would only cost around $2 to make
The margins on pizza are crazy but pizzarias are everywhere in NYC. I've seen the same spots close, new owners, close again, new owners. It's a repetitive cycle. Only the established ones with history survive because they have a base/following. New ones struggle unless they undercut with cheap prices.

Yeah them $4 tacos are not the business. I still buy because they are good :lol: but taco shop prices in general shot up. Cali burritos used to be 5 bucks. Now it’s 10.

It always amazes me when I see ppl not understand what washing your meat actually entails.

Talking about getting salmonella all over the sink :lol:

Nasty ************* love the taste of super fresh chicken :smh:

She said washing a chicken adds water to it so it won't brown :lol:
Dumber than a box of rocks.

I gotta assume pizza must be way more expensive outside of nyc since ppl dont know how to make it right.

Growing up it would make no sense to buy a $15-$20 pie instead of a $1 slice.

Now the slice costs more now but the math isn't showing such a huge difference that I should buy a pie when I'm just gonna eat 2 slices.

Back
Top Bottom