FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

His donut shop is on my list. Have you been to either business (taco/donut shop)?

I’m not knocking prices just curious how profitable tacos spots are looking at the price they charge and the amount food they give you.

I read awhile back some pizza shops make millions selling slices in NY.

This company made roughly 1 million dollars within a year selling mail order cookies.

F82E72A3-E5B1-4E7A-8E69-1EE6AF1437DB.png
$12/cookie?!
:rofl:

She said washing a chicken adds water to it so it won't brown :lol:
This drives me crazy too.

A lot of internet chefs talk about how you need to get all of the exterior moisture off of a piece of meat in order to ensure a proper sear, but if you're throwing it into a 500+ degree pan or grill do you really think that surface moisture ever stood a chance?

Gotta be honest, I think this is absolute nonsense and none of you could ever tell the difference in a blind taste test if the opportunity presented itself.

I've brined chicken before and I've never noted a "slime" or any difference in texture brined or not. Also don't know what the hell "rawness" means in the context of a cooked chicken.
I’m a chalk this one up to “Cultural differences” as dcallamerican would say

You are over cooking the poor chicken if you’re cooking it at 500 degrees plus
Missing the point. I was extending that thought to meats outside of poultry.

Also when I make brick chicken I absolutely start it off screaming hot to let the skin crisp. I just lower the temp down to medium-low for the remainder of the cook.

Last edited:
This drives me crazy too.

A lot of internet chefs talk about how you need to get all of the exterior moisture off of a piece of meat in order to ensure a proper sear, but if you're throwing it into a 500+ degree pan or grill do you really think that surface moisture ever stood a chance?
You don't have to but getting rid of the moisture will most def get you a better sear.
Not something that people usually apply to chicken though cause a simple paper towel does the trick

I just realized i missed a part of the conversation and you said this already

Not true at all. Have you ever seen that yellow film that comes off chicken(especially the wings)? Give your chicken a nice acidic bath and thank us later.
Literally just posted that I've brined chickens in the past.

Care to explain to the folks at home what that "yellow film" is? I feel like that would be more beneficial.

Literally just posted that I've brined chickens in the past.

Care to explain to the folks at home what that "yellow film" is? I feel like that would be more beneficial.
You're brining the chicken. We're talking about washing it. Two different things no? Also, how you brine the chicken varies, cause every brine mixture is different.

You're brining the chicken. We're talking about washing it. Two different things no? Also, how you brine the chicken varies, cause every brine mixture is different.
My point is that a prolonged vinegar bath will accomplish just the same, if not more, as a quick one with regard to "slime" removal.

His donut shop is on my list. Have you been to either business (taco/donut shop)?

I’m not knocking prices just curious how profitable tacos spots are looking at the price they charge and the amount food they give you.

I read awhile back some pizza shops make millions selling slices in NY.

This company made roughly 1 million dollars within a year selling mail order cookies.

F82E72A3-E5B1-4E7A-8E69-1EE6AF1437DB.png
Yea pizza is a actually a good business to go into :lol:
I don’t exactly know about todays prices but in the past few years a 18” cheese pizza would only cost around $2 to make

1. I "wash" (soak) my chicken in a vinegar/cool water mixture. I let that soak for about 10 minutes. I stir occasionally. I just use a deep glass Pyrex dish.

2. Remove chickens, and let them air dry; then I go over and pat dry with a Paper Towel

Yea, if you wash it the way folks "wash" it online then yes particles will get everywhere.
1660008029565.jpeg

Some places charge $6-8 per taco.
Taco prices been on the rise here too. They went up a buck across the city when restaurants started opening back up during the pandemic. They just kept going up from there. Pre pandemic 2020 Tacos were like $2-2.50. They're around $4 now at most joints.

I wonder if any celebrity food joint/restaurant has ever been successful. Jordan had a steakhouse or 2 in Chicago yeah? Don't think that worked out too well.
MJ still has a couple Steakhouses here. One in the Mag Mile and in Oak Brook. Seems to be doing ok based on Google, but I've only been there once for our 8th grade graduation dinner so I can't really speak on the food quality. It probably gets a lot of tourists.
Screenshot_20220808-202019.jpg

Back
Top Bottom