FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Anyone been to the popular New Haven apizza spots?

Gonna be there this week. Pretty sure modern is less than 10 min from where I’ll be so I was just gonna go there, but if the other places are better I’ll take the drive
Modern is always my go to. Da Legna down the street is good too.

Family has told me good things about Zenelis if you want Neapolitan. I just haven’t been yet myself.

Sally’s and Pepe’s always good in my book too. Although yankeesking92 yankeesking92 will throw a fit about it :lol:

Fresh almonds

IMG_6896.jpeg
IMG_6897.jpeg
IMG_6898.jpeg

Nigerian tasting menu

but damn the Nigerians in the comments are cooking the chef.

always found it weird how white ppl can elevate their food and make it fine dining but when ppl of color do it, their own people be hating.

i got a Vietnamese friend who hates the idea of elevating Vietnamese food and thinks viet food should never be in fine dining.

never understood that. so many ways to prepare a dish and a creative chef can do magic

Yea I don't think the issue is it becoming white table cloth food but folks just don't want their staples to become overpriced when they know their aunts could probably make it better at a fraction of the cost.

Also many reject the idea of putting it in a restaurant = "elevating."

Also, not sure if it's true that "white people" don't complain about it either because when you break it down by Ethnicity I'm sure every culture complains about their food being overpriced.

Think Polish, Italians, Irish, etc instead of "white" as a whole

Last edited:
I don’t understand how a high-end restaurant serving an “elevated” version of a traditional dish would affect the prices of the simpler/more traditional version of the dish at lower-end restaurants.

That just doesn’t make sense to me.

That Philly Cheese stack looks like it has some promise, but I haven't had McDs since 11/3/2022. It made me sick. I still dragged my miserible *** to an Eagles game.

I don’t understand how a high-end restaurant serving an “elevated” version of a traditional dish would affect the prices of the simpler/more traditional version of the dish at lower-end restaurants.

That just doesn’t make sense to me.

The argument is it increases the popularity of certain ingredients which raises prices
Some truth to it - wings/thighs, flank/skirts, brisket/ribs, crab/lobster all cheap until people realized they were good and not difficult to cook

My post though wasn’t really contemplating market effects but the stigma/lack of stigma associated with foods and how they’re prepared

The argument is it increases the popularity of certain ingredients which raises prices
Some truth to it - wings/thighs, flank/skirts, brisket/ribs, crab/lobster all cheap until people realized they were good and not difficult to cook

My post though wasn’t really contemplating market effects but the stigma/lack of stigma associated with foods and how they’re prepared
I get that as an overall phenomenon, but that’s not what I was replying to. The example provided that sparked this conversation seems more isolated than that.

Back
Top Bottom