FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Hong Kong baked pork chop spaghetti.
IMG_1888.jpeg

What makes it hong kong?

Getting in on this coffee talk. Been meaning to post… recently bought a Breville espresso machine. Overpriced for sure, but one of my favorite purchases in a while. A great investment if you prefer expensive espresso based drinks.
3DCC9451-1FEE-4731-A1E8-A1E411F2199D.jpeg

It’s taken a while to get the hang of it. There’s a whole science behind pulling a good shot and even steaming milk properly. But it’s been fun learning and trying fresh roasted coffee from different local and online roasters.
My favorite blends so far are these 2 from Onyx and Verve.
92D5187A-51A2-471C-B313-A7D8ABE3299E.jpeg

08E70D6C-94A7-493F-A436-1656C7852B12.jpeg

I’ve gotten into the latte art YouTube rabbit hole now so working on that next lol. :lol:
It’s still a work in progress but not bad so far.
C114EE03-ECF8-4A5A-A1AC-E60E9CC8BC28.jpeg

A3250F5F-6DB4-4B89-91F4-F4DB93B393FD.jpeg

I could use a burr grinder

I've heard people say not to waste your time on a cheap one for espresso but Idk how true that is

I could use a burr grinder

I've heard people say not to waste your time on a cheap one for espresso but Idk how true that is
it's hard seeing how to see the levels in coffee bean grinding to justify the expensive ones
as long as the bean is grinded, are we really going to taste the difference?
i have a delonghi with an automatic grinder cause i didn't want to have it be a separate action. i paid a good amount of money to only press one button. i've always wondered if the individual grinder is really going to take it to the next level cause i already love my machine.

does anyone mix beans to get different flavors? i have unintentionally done that with some good results.

it's hard seeing how to see the levels in coffee bean grinding to justify the expensive ones
i have a delonghi with an automatic grinder cause i didn't want to have it be a separate action. i paid a good amount of money to only press one button. i've always wondered if the individual grinder is really going to take it to the next level cause i already love my machine.

does anyone mix beans to get different flavors? i have unintentionally done that with some good results.

Supposedly has to do with consistency/very find dust getting mixed in

Matters less with large grinds but a fine grind espresso can get bitter

So they say. I do find it hard to believe none of the mid-tier grinders will do a good enough job

I’m not a big enough coffee person to step to espresso or them fancy machines yall got

For my purposes the Nespresso is the best and only coffee I’ll ever need tbh. That Stormio is delicious and never fails me.

I like having the *option* for espresso, as my machine is capable of it, if I ever want any or stock some for friends or guests that come over. But a good cup of regular coffee is more than enough for ol Spike.

Does your not have a burr grinder built it?

Supposedly has to do with consistency/very find dust getting mixed in

Matters less with large grinds but a fine grind espresso can get bitter

So they say. I do find it hard to believe none of the mid-tier grinders will do a good enough job
When I was looking for a machine I was looking for one that didn’t have a built in grinder cause I figured it would be a lot cheaper to buy them separately. Then I looked at the prices for middle of the line burr grinders recommended for espresso and lol. Those prices are crazy. $200+ for a grinder is insane.
I have a small hand grinder I use for my French press but I can see how that wouldn’t work for espresso. Espresso grinds have to be very fine and a lot of cheaper ones just don’t have that capability.
I still think they quality and freshness of the beans is more important than the type of grinder you use. At least above the basic cheap ones.

I’m not a big enough coffee person to step to espresso or them fancy machines yall got

For my purposes the Nespresso is the best and only coffee I’ll ever need tbh. That Stormio is delicious and never fails me.

I like having the *option* for espresso, as my machine is capable of it, if I ever want any or stock some for friends or guests that come over. But a good cup of regular coffee is more than enough for ol Spike.
I loved my nespresso. It was way better than a keurig to me but those pods got pricey after a while.

What I was reading said don’t bother on espresso if you aren’t spending $700+ :lol:

I refuse to accept it. Need to do more research
Lmao $700 he’ll nahhhh
I’m cool with the built in one.
I think I make some pretty tasty espresso with it. I couldn’t imagine needing anything more expensive for a home machine.

What I was reading said don’t bother on espresso if you aren’t spending $700+ :lol:

I refuse to accept it. Need to do more research
Yeah this is one "hobby" rabbit hole I'm drawing a line and not buying. I've had better coffee at home at times than places with that equipment.

Yeah this is one "hobby" rabbit hole I'm drawing a line and not buying. I've had better coffee at home at times than places with that equipment.

Good equipment won’t save user error or bad beans

These hand grinders sound like a nice option. Realistically all I’d need

Currently in Houston. Any food recommendations? BBQ, breakfast/brunch, anything?

Had Whataburger when I touched down and it was overrated af.

Last edited:
The problem is when you get super serious about espresso you take the ease out of it. You gotta pack it right, get the right consistency in the grinded beans, source what beans you want, make sure the machine is operating properly at the right temp.

G I’m half asleep at 6AM making my Nespresso and stoked af when I take that first sip. Pod locked and button pushed I’ll take down a long day.

Back
Top Bottom