For Sprint Touch Pro owners - insurance upgrade to TP2, Pre, BB Tour, Hero, whatever - YMMV

Thanks! I understand the TP2 is better than the TP1. However, is it better than the BlackBerry Tour and/or Hero?
Im not too sure about the BB b/c ive never used one. However, if you value customizing i would def go with the TP2. The Hero is still very newand from what i hearing is nice but its andriod which a totally diff OS and doesnt have a hardware keyboard. Andriod is on the come up thou. But i know thati can do so much more with my TP that BB cant do, tether internet, TV out. People bash WM but once you customize it the way you want its WM> excluding theiphone.

Don't do it!!! If you have your choice, get the Blackberry Tour. Best phone I have ever had on Sprint. Great Battery life, STABLE, with no freeze ups, and the messaging/email is wonderful. The TP2 has the same old TP1 processor, and is 6.1 and NOT upgradeable to the Windows Mobile 7 coming next year. Plus blackberry OS 5.0 is coming very soon as well. and will add a bunch of new features. I have had the Moguls and 4 Touch Pros, and I am through with HTC. They let me upgrade the Sunday before that memo came out, and gave me an extra $50 credit towards the Blackberry Tour, but I will be calling in to get my entire tour price credited back to me. My girlfriend, however, is still hooked and just upgraded to the HTC Hero.
Your saying this but you don't have a TP2. The fact that you said that it has the same old processor lets me know that you aren't thatknowledgeable on the TP. No disrespect. 6.5 update coming soon btw. My old TP on 6.1 didnt have freeze ups either and was stable as hell too.

does that BB even have wifi? Its a apples and oranges thing i guess

Originally Posted by Compaqp5280

AirForce1King wrote:

I'm on my 4th Touch Pro since release. I got it replaced twice in September. Which phone do you guys recommend?
I might go with the Touch Pro 2. The Palm Pre is not an option because
I have certain videos and stuff on my memory card that I need and the
Pre doesn't have a memory card slot. What's that BlackBerry looking
like? Any pics? How's YouTube on it? And what's the BlackBerry Plan? I
have Simply Everything and I pay $113 a month. Do I need to upgrade if
I were to get this phone?

^If I can get someone to answer this for me then I'll give ya'll an update as I usually have my way at my local Sprint store...

The TP2. better at every aspect than the TP. More durable, faster (even thou both processors are the same tp2 is more optimized and is a different version) bigger screen, better battery life, better keyboard, 6.1 runs more smoothly. On;y drawback is no flash on camera and less hardware buttons, and it hasnt been unlocked yet to run custom roms, but that coming soon. Also did i mention it has a headphone jack?

Don't do it!!! If you have your choice, get the Blackberry Tour. Best phone I have ever had on Sprint. Great Battery life, STABLE, with no freeze ups, andthe messaging/email is wonderful. The TP2 has the same old TP1 processor, and is 6.1 and NOT upgradeable to the Windows Mobile 7 coming next year. Plusblackberry OS 5.0 is coming very soon as well. and will add a bunch of new features. I have had the Moguls and 4 Touch Pros, and I am through with HTC. Theylet me upgrade the Sunday before that memo came out, and gave me an extra $50 credit towards the Blackberry Tour, but I will be calling in to get my entiretour price credited back to me. My girlfriend, however, is still hooked and just upgraded to the HTC Hero.

Yea it's going to have to be in store. And don't break your phone on purpose. It's not also just that they're totally OOS everywhere, but justthe way they're allocating stock. They're still trying to sell these so they're not going to bend over backwards to give them to you free as areplacement. But again, it all just depends on what store you go to and what CSR you get.

But nobody on Slickdeals or HowardForums has had any luck over the phone. Now some people have been able to get them to pricematch the 199$ and in still getthe 70$ renewal credit, and still get the 100$ rebate, and pick 5 added to their SERO, and he even was able to buy 2 phones, but that's FAR more theexception than the rule.

Right now, I'm not getting anyone who will give it to me for under 450$

Compaqp5280 The Touch Pro had the 528 MHz 7500A qualcomm processor. TP2 has.....wait for it....the 528 MHz 7600 qualcomm processor. I was also a tester for theHTC TP2 in my area, so I know what I am saying. Though the number may have changed slightly, its the same strength processor. They added a cute new overlay to6.1 (which shipped on the TP1!) and will up it to winmo 6.5, which I had on my TP1 thanks to ppcgeeks.com, but they will not up it to Winmo 7next year, which is hopefully a quantum leap in phone software (I'm not holding my breath). It has improved on the lag issues, especially when moving fromwindow to window, but trust me, once people have had it for a while, and have a lot of stuff running, it will freeze up and cause problems just like everyother Sprint HTC phone in the past (Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, and Diamond). No flash, the SAME camera, and essentially except for the , software overlay and theimproved speaker phone/form factor, the SAME phone as the TP1. And while battery life may be better, do NOT expect the phone with normal use to last you a fullday.The hardware is outdated, and the winmo platform isn't good. No, the Tour does not have Wifi, the replacement, the "essex" will though.Nodisrespect taken.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Ummmm so when one of y'all reports your TP as lost and receives a TP2 lemme know
nerd.gif
that = 150 deductible ... nah im good on that

The Touch Pro had the 528 MHz 7500A qualcomm processor. TP2 has.....wait for it....the 528 MHz 7600 qualcomm processor. I was also a tester for the HTC TP2 in my area, so I know what I am saying. Though the number may have changed slightly, its the same strength processor. They added a cute new overlay to 6.1 (which shipped on the TP1!) and will up it to winmo 6.5, which I had on my TP1 thanks to ppcgeeks.com, but they will not up it to Winmo 7 next year, which is hopefully a quantum leap in phone software (I'm not holding my breath). It has improved on the lag issues, especially when moving from window to window, but trust me, once people have had it for a while, and have a lot of stuff running, it will freeze up and cause problems just like every other Sprint HTC phone in the past (Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, and Diamond). No flash, the SAME camera, and essentially except for the , software overlay and the improved speaker phone/form factor, the SAME phone as the TP1. And while battery life may be better, do NOT expect the phone with normal use to last you a full day.The hardware is outdated, and the winmo platform isn't good. No disrespect taken.

I loved my TP, (except the battery life and replacements) once i flashed a custom rom. As far as the whole hardware thing, nobody knows for sure whenwin mobile 7 is coming out. Maybe its just a different experience thing. But ur right it is outdated compared to the LEO. Id put it in the same class hardwarewise as the BB, Iphone. etc thou.

Originally Posted by Koudie From BroOklyn

Originally Posted by kyrac2

*calling sprint now*

Let us know how it goes.
didn't work for me
eyes.gif
thinking bout trying the"i'm going to tmobile then." i hate sprint at times...most of the time actually

Originally Posted by Compaqp5280

The Touch Pro had the 528 MHz 7500A qualcomm processor. TP2
has.....wait for it....the 528 MHz 7600 qualcomm processor. I was also
a tester for the HTC TP2 in
my area, so I know what I am saying. Though the number may have changed
slightly, its the same strength processor. They added a cute new
overlay to 6.1 (which
shipped on the TP1!) and will up it to winmo 6.5, which I had on my TP1
thanks to ppcgeeks.com, but they will not
up it to Winmo 7 next year,
which is hopefully a quantum leap in phone software (I'm not holding my
breath). It has improved on the lag issues, especially when moving from
window to
window, but trust me, once people have had it for a while, and have a
lot of stuff running, it will freeze up and cause problems just like
every other Sprint
HTC phone in the past (Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, and Diamond). No flash,
the SAME camera, and essentially except for the , software overlay and
the improved
speaker phone/form factor, the SAME phone as the TP1. And while battery
life may be better, do NOT expect the phone with normal use to last you
a full day.The
hardware is outdated, and the winmo platform isn't good. No disrespect
taken.
I loved my TP, (except the battery life and build quality) once i flashed a custom rom. As far as the whole hardware thing, nobody knows for sure when win mobile 7 is coming out. Maybe its just a different experience thing.

That could very much be true, and no, Winmo7 does not have a release date, but when you get the chance, go to phonescoop.com and do a side by side comparisonbetween the specs/features of TP1 and 2. Its CRIMINAL that Sprint is trying to sell this phone for 349. I am glad to hear it has not been selling well, mylocal Sprint store, which last year led the state of TX in sales, hasn't even gotten in the TP2 to sell yet. And battery life will continue to be an issueon all these phones, you need something more then a 1500 mAh battery. I do like the screen tilt on it though, as well as the size and clarity/color of thetouch screen.

*calling sprint now*

Let us know how it goes.
didn't work for me
eyes.gif
thinking bout trying the "i'm going to tmobile then." i hate sprint at times...most of the time actually
good luck i told em i was going to cricket and they chuckled slightly.

Originally Posted by AirForce1King

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

I'm messing with a TP2 right now. Wheeew...%%$+ is crispy! Loud as hell too...
^What's loud? Hopefully you're referring to the volume when talking because it was BULL I had to download a program to make my volume louder on my TP1. What's your opinion on the TP2? Is the YouTube still super clear? Do the videos load any faster? Is the TP2 a HUGE step up from the TP1?
The speaker itself. I was on Youtube last night, which is SUPER clear, and was BLASTING music. It was easily louder than the TV and the TVwasn't low either.

Everything was so swift. The screen reminds me of the iPhone. No delay or freezing. Good stuff all in all...

Originally Posted by AirForce1King

I'm messing with a TP2 right now. Wheeew...%%$+ is crispy! Loud as hell too...
^What's loud? Hopefully you're referring to the volume when talking because it was BULL I had to download a program to make my volume louder on my TP1. What's your opinion on the TP2? Is the YouTube still super clear? Do the videos load any faster? Is the TP2 a HUGE step up from the TP1?
The speaker itself. I was on Youtube last night, which is SUPER clear, and was BLASTING music. It was easily louder than the TV and the TV wasn't low either.

Everything was so swift. The screen reminds me of the iPhone. No delay or freezing. Good stuff all in all...
^My main effing problem with my TP1. This is good news...

Someone give me an update on how YouTube is on that BlackBerry...

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

*calling sprint now*

Let us know how it goes.
didn't work for me
eyes.gif
thinking bout trying the "i'm going to tmobile then." i hate sprint at times...most of the time actually
i would too
roll.gif

*calling sprint now*

Let us know how it goes.
didn't work for me
eyes.gif

Cricket?? i would have been in tears if i heard that one
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Sup fellas,

I'm actually thinking about trying this tomorrow i dont have time today, but i'll give it a shot cuz my kybd on my TP1 is dying out again it works whenit wants to, and my fingers are too big to be using that on-screen kybd

this is my 6th one back in the summer i went thru 5 YES 5 TP1's in a week they told me after the 4th one that if it comes back defective that they'dupgrade to watever phone i wanted at no extra cost (pretty much they'd just switch it out) i really didn't want to do that cuz I didn't want todowngrade getting a BB, and i didn't want to swtich to a new platform on the Pre w/ the WebOS

I'll keep u guys posted i'm based in NYC btw i'll direct you guys to the store i go to if this pans out

Well it ain't free, but I was able to talk to Pattie of account services and finally get the 199$ price. She was sooo nice, did it on the first try, plus Igot a 70$ renewal credit, and Sprints buy back will give me 85$ for the phone but Im thinking about just using eBay since I also have so many accessories, Ishould be able to come out about even and didn't have to use my last free TEP replacement. She also didnt give me any @%$+ about being on Sero. Phone willbe here Monday.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

kyrac2 wrote:

Koudie From BroOklyn wrote:

kyrac2 wrote:

*calling sprint now*

Let us know how it goes.
didn't work for me
eyes.gif
thinking bout trying the
"i'm going to tmobile then." i hate sprint at times...most of the time actually

Cricket?? i would have been in tears if i heard that one
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

OK UPDATE...

i just came back from there as a matter of fact they gave me the following phones to swap my TP for:
HTC Snap
BB Tour
BB Curve
Palm Pre
HTC Touch Pro2 (but they didn't have it available in the warehouse) so SOL
i told them i didn't want the other phones cuz w/ the BB you're going to have to sign up for the BBMail Service and u gotta pay $35 extra a month justfor that so i wasn't falling for that there's no way i'm going to be paying more something i'm not gonna use

...on top of all those phones costing less than wat i spent on my TP in the first place so i felt like i was getting jerked into a worse phone that i paid lessfor btw the store is on 56 and Lex they're madd cool in there they dont treat you like *#+! like on 34th street

so i opted for them to fix the Kybd which they did i just came back from picking it up they told me if and when it happens again i have to go thru the sameprocess i just hope the TP2 is available from the warehouse next time...cuz it will happen it's only a matter of time

I also called Sprint while they were fixing it at the store and tried to see what they could do about upgrading me and they told me i'd have to buy outflat out and i asked them why if they 400 dollar unit i purchased has been replaced 8 times within 1 year of having it i should be upgraded w/o hassle forhaving such an inferior product so no luck their either they even had me call HTC which of course they weren't going to upgrade it so any one else have awork around for this?

^ a workaround?! you GOT what like 1000s of people can't, even though Sprint is supposed to. Just call them back daily to check when they get some morestock. It's not that the phone itself is really OOS, it's that they are ALLOCATING only a certain % of stock for replacements, since they are stilltrying to sell them.

I finally got mine for 199$ It's not free, but I'll take it. If any1 wants the #, I have it in my car or you can just call Sprint and tell tem transferyou to account services. The lady was so nice, she gave me the price match without any trouble at all or mention of my plan. Sprint buyback will give me 85$for the phone, though I can probably get much more on eBay especially with all of my accessories. They give a 70$ renewal credit and I'm going to go aheadand try for the 100$ mail in rebate, since I will have a receipt when I get in the mail. I could potentially come out ahead.

What accessories are you guys using, cases especially? What's the best ROM so far too?

Last week on Wednesday I took my TP to get it fixed. The tech told me that Sprint was going to try and get all its customers on different models since theywere losing too much money with the TP. She mentioned I could get the BB Tour, Curve, Pre..didnt mention the TP2 but she said they didnt have those in stockanyway. So I played around with the BB Tour for a while and liked it a lot. I didnt want a touch phone anymore, they lag too much. So then on Friday I went topick up my BB Tour, but they tell me i have to switch plans..blah blah blah. I had my TP on the Everything Messaging 1500 minutes (w/3 lines) and a $15unlimited data package for $125 (excluding taxes, extra fees). So I got yet another free upgrade from Sprint (previous being Mogul to TP) but my bill will goup $25 per month (hopefully not more since they always mislead you).

This really depends on who you get to take care of you. I noticed other people picking up TPs so im guessing they didnt have the same luck I had. The lady Igot was pretty cool about it and even gave me a $30 credit for not knowing id have to switch my plan when she was telling me about the options I had. I stillhavent gotten the next bill, but im hoping there arent any surprises on it, other than an extra $25. Or ill just call customer service and say i was lied to,till i get another credit on my account.

So far, BB Tour > HTC TP
BB Tour rarely freezes, you can go from application to application without any delays or problems. Only thing HTC Pro has in its favor is the size of thescreen. BB Tour is louder, and its battery lasts much longer.

Originally Posted by car9vel

Last week on Wednesday I took my TP to get it fixed. The tech told me that Sprint was going to try and get all its customers on different models since they were losing too much money with the TP. She mentioned I could get the BB Tour, Curve, Pre..didnt mention the TP2 but she said they didnt have those in stock anyway. So I played around with the BB Tour for a while and liked it a lot. I didnt want a touch phone anymore, they lag too much. So then on Friday I went to pick up my BB Tour, but they tell me i have to switch plans..blah blah blah. I had my TP on the Everything Messaging 1500 minutes (w/3 lines) and a $15 unlimited data package for $125 (excluding taxes, extra fees). So I got yet another free upgrade from Sprint (previous being Mogul to TP) but my bill will go up $25 per month (hopefully not more since they always mislead you).

This really depends on who you get to take care of you. I noticed other people picking up TPs so im guessing they didnt have the same luck I had. The lady I got was pretty cool about it and even gave me a $30 credit for not knowing id have to switch my plan when she was telling me about the options I had. I still havent gotten the next bill, but im hoping there arent any surprises on it, other than an extra $25. Or ill just call customer service and say i was lied to, till i get another credit on my account.

So far, BB Tour > HTC TP
BB Tour rarely freezes, you can go from application to application without any delays or problems. Only thing HTC Pro has in its favor is the size of the screen. BB Tour is louder, and its battery lasts much longer.

Looks like ill be going with blackberry tomorrow.

If you are on Sprint I honestly don't even understand why bother asking which phone is the best. The Palm Preis by far the best phone I have ever used and I am a big smartphone/tech guy. Don't worry about the keyboard on the Pre, within a week you will be typingon that thing fluently and fast as hell.

Palm Pre all day baby
pimp.gif

-The Juice

I would really like a test run with the Pre because of that keyboard. It just feels cheap in addition to being the smallest keyboard I've ever experiencedon a phone. I'm going to try this when I get a chance, which means around Tuesday maybe. I would really like a TP2.

Back
Top Bottom