For The NTers that have been in wrecks

Today on my birthday I was rear ended. I know right situation sucks. The dude had insurance luckily I filed a police report and all of that good stuff, what should I expect next? As far as getting my car fixed and stuff like that.

if your car is drivable and you both have insurance than you don't need to call the police

acttr
if it was the other guys fault his insurance will cover fixing your vehicle.....
i think your insurance will rise just a little even though you didn't cause the accident...

I wouldnt have called the police either. Report the crash your insurance company, they'll be in contact with you and
the other driver within the next few days. After both reports have been taken by both insurance companies they'll send a
claim adjuster to inspect both vehicles. Claims person will ask loads of questions and get you set up with a collision center to
get the work done. After all this they send the check and expect your insurance to increase.

Originally Posted by CJ863

I wouldnt have called the police either. Report the crash your insurance company, they'll be in contact with you and
the other driver within the next few days. After both reports have been taken by both insurance companies they'll send a
claim adjuster to inspect both vehicles. Claims person will ask loads of questions and get you set up with a collision center to
get the work done. After all this they send the check and expect your insurance to increase.

even though it wasn't my fault?

Well technically it depends on the state you live in and you insurance company. In my case FL is a no fault state so my insurance went up
regardless. More than likely it will increase regardless.

To the people saying don't call the police, have y'all ever been involved in a wreck??? Always call the police because they are there to document what happened and they will type a a accident report that describes all parties (car make model, hour of day, intersections, drivers, witnesses, etc.) This accident report will help the insurance claim go by faster because all the information will be available.

As far as getting your car fixed, be prepared for a lot of headaches with the insurance company!!! They will try to pay the least they can and give you hard time. Becareful as to what parts they will use to fix your car!! They will usually try to use re-used or non oem parts for the repair. Also check with your state laws if you have the right to choose where to take your car to get repaired. My state VA tells us that we have the right to choose any body shop for the repair work so choose wisely and ask around to see if the body shop is capable to fix your car the first time correctly.

Good luck!!!

Originally Posted by CJ863

Well technically it depends on the state you live in and you insurance company. In my case FL is a no fault state so my insurance went up
regardless. More than likely it will increase regardless.

Well the police said it was his fault numerous times so idk might be different.

Originally Posted by chueco dtb

To the people saying don't call the police, have y'all ever been involved in a wreck??? Always call the police because they are there to document what happened and they will type a a accident report that describes all parties (car make model, hour of day, intersections, drivers, witnesses, etc.) This accident report will help the insurance claim go by faster because all the information will be available.

As far as getting your car fixed, be prepared for a lot of headaches with the insurance company!!! They will try to pay the least they can and give you hard time. Becareful as to what parts they will use to fix your car!! They will usually try to use re-used or non oem parts for the repair. Also check with your state laws if you have the right to choose where to take your car to get repaired. My state VA tells us that we have the right to choose any body shop for the repair work so choose wisely and ask around to see if the body shop is capable to fix your car the first time correctly.

Good luck!!!

that's what i was told to always call the police that's what I did but thanks for the advice I'll be sure to watch out for that.

The other party will file a claim with their insurance and they will contact you personally to set up a time to send a claims adjuster to look at your vehicle. After looking at it, they will contact you letting you know what they found and give you a list of where you can get your car fixed. If everything goes well, your insurance never gets involved. Depending on the damage, you may or may not get a rental car.

Forgot to mention, another route you could do is get an estimate and have the person just pay out of the pocket. This helps the other party because his rates won't go up and supposely, if you do it this way, there won't be a crash history on your car so when you go to resell it, the value will be a little higher. But not too sure if thats true because if the body shop records your VIN number, it prolly will show up.

Actually you should always call the police when you are not at fault ^.^

That way if the other guy tries to blame it all on you, any witnesses can be use to help your insurance claim!

False. all  cop does is write a ticket up. Only call if your car is not drivable or someone doesn't have insurance. you should be able to document everything yourself, but if you can;t you probably shouldn't be driving

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

False. all  cop does is write a ticket up. Only call if your car is not drivable or someone doesn't have insurance. you should be able to document everything yourself, but if you can;t you probably shouldn't be driving
wrong, a cop is supposed to make an accident report, otherwise it's just gonna be you against the person that hit you. then how is the insurance company gonna tell who is telling the truth? it will be your word against theirs. besides if you document everything yourself, what will stop you from lying? you're nothing better than the person that hit you, so what would give you more credibility towards an insurance company?

You got rear ended ur fine, they always put the blame on the dude in the back... pause

Why would his insurance increase even though op didn't cause the accident?

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

wrong, a cop is supposed to make an accident report, otherwise it's just gonna be you against the person that hit you. then how is the insurance company gonna tell who is telling the truth? it will be your word against theirs. besides if you document everything yourself, what will stop you from lying? you're nothing better than the person that hit you, so what would give you more credibility towards an insurance company?
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP i got rear ended at a red light.  I was not moving.  Guy told his insurance i moved into his lane causing the accident.  It took 40 days to get through the process for his insurance to take fault.  It was my word vs his word but had i not called the cops then the cop couldn't have given the statement that on the scene the other driver admitted to rear ending me.  ALWAYS CALL THE COPS.  people are scum bags and will lie to get out of it

My car had $6,500 worth of damage and i didn't pay a penny and my insurance didn't go up.  I had no collision on my car at the time so if it wasn't his fault then i would have had to pay that out of pocket (i have since added collision) but it was the worst process I have ever been through.  40 days of "investigating"  my car wasn't legally drivable the tail light was on the ground my trunk was jacked into my back windshield the wheel well was collapsed.  GOOD LUCK

i got hit before and the other guy tried to say it was both of our faults even though i wasn't even moving. after that bs, i'm going to call the police everytime no matter what.

When the other party's insurance company contacts you just refer them to your insurance company - let your insurance handle everything. The police report should answer all questions. I would recommend you look into some body shops yourself, you have the right to use any shop and not just the shop's the insurance company list.

Originally Posted by iYen

Why would his insurance increase even though op didn't cause the accident?

I've been wanting to know this for years but that's just the way it is,
I think a couple of insurance companies are starting to ease up on it, trying to out beat other competitors 

sorry it took so long to respond but I picked up the police report today and for those saying not to go to the police wrong because the guy tried to put the blame on me ALWAYS go to the police

Originally Posted by Young Handsome

where it happened at?
nerd.gif

Hope everything goes well witcha

happened in Roebuck less than a minute from my house man u went to Woodlawn right?

Back
Top Bottom