Forbes article if I was a poor black kid

Here is an article by Gene Marks titled if I was a poor Black Kid.

I uploaded the first page

resident Obama gave an excellent speech last week in Kansas about inequality in America.
“This is the defining issue of our time.

laugh.gif

That was quite naive

I think he has some truth but if he thinks that the average person in the hood even has a remotely good education or even decent teachers then he is truly ignorant.Alot of teachers have wrote of black males in their classes long before they start.Classes are overpacked underfunded,books damaged or not enough.Kids coming to school without meals .Dangerous enviroments.Anti intellectual kids and adults in their neighborhood.Violence surrounding them. Teachers who really don't care and dont even teach since they have given up on the kids.Its hard to access and know about these sites from teachers when they don't care.Like its easy to write that from a place of privelege saying hey buddy here are some things you can do to be successful nevermind the fact your class room computers are terrible and outdated.You don't receive much funding since the majority of your class files for free lunch so you don't have any after school programs beyond sports.You should try to transfer out to another school too they are free but at the same time they take away funding from your school.

he's not right, he's ignorant.
The importance of education is instilled in other communities as the norm. Therefor to be educated, is what is expected of you. 

But in other communities education is so far from what is cared about because people are struggling just to live a normal life.

it's easy to say "if i was in your position, i would do this instead"

but who influenced you (the writer) on how to live your life? your parents, your community, older people you look up to??

This guy  probably doesn't even realize how much positive guidance has influenced his life.

When minorities are born in this world, guidance is so crucial that one decision can put you on to the path of education and one can put you in the streets. 

He will never know what it is to grow up as a "black kid" or even as a minority.

Someone should write a rebuttal argument "If i was a middle aged white man I'd try to be less ignorant and more understanding"

some good ideas in that article...but at the same time not as easy and simple as the author is making it out to sound like...

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

I think he has some truth but if he thinks that the average person in the hood even has a remotely good education or even decent teachers then he is truly ignorant.Alot of teachers have wrote of black males in their classes long before they start.Classes are overpacked underfunded,books damaged or not enough.Kids coming to school without meals .Dangerous enviroments.Anti intellectual kids and adults in their neighborhood.Violence surrounding them. Teachers who really don't care and dont even teach since they have given up on the kids.Its hard to access and know about these sites from teachers when they don't care.Like its easy to write that from a place of privelege saying hey buddy here are some things you can do to be successful nevermind the fact your class room computers are terrible and outdated.You don't receive much funding since the majority of your class files for free lunch so you don't have any after school programs beyond sports.You should try to transfer out to another school too they are free but at the same time they take away funding from your school.
The education is good enough to get you out of the hood. If the teachers are so bad, it should be easy to get an A then right?

I have the mindset he is advocating and yet I had none of these role models or influences in my environment. Albeit I was a gifted student raised by a single mother who never pushed me to succeed in school.  If you aren't an intelligent child it all comes down to the parents involvement. His article is proposing dedication from the student and parent, regardless of location.

his perspective on life, one that had been distilled from his middle class white background, would not have been established if he had grown up poor and black. as a result, he would have more than likely ignored the resources that allow for success and instead drown in the problems that derive from the institutional structures that give way to racial and socioeconomic inequalities.

Lets be honest here...given the CURRENT situation, the only opportunities for kids who have it rough is to stick it out and rise up with what they have, or don't have.

No savior on a white horse is going to ride in RIGHT NOW and flip the script.

Originally Posted by blazinRook

The importance of education is instilled in other communities as the norm. Therefor to be educated, is what is expected of you. 

But in other communities education is so far from what is cared about because people are struggling just to live a normal life.

but who influenced you (the writer) on how to live your life? your parents, your community, older people you look up to??

This guy  probably doesn't even realize how much positive guidance has influenced his life.

When minorities are born in this world, guidance is so crucial that one decision can put you on to the path of education and one can put you in the streets. 

He will never know what it is to grow up as a "black kid" or even as a minority.

Someone should write a rebuttal argument "If i was a middle aged white man I'd try to be less ignorant and more understanding"

If someone wrote this, ALL white people should read it.  some of them are racially ignorant & insensitive as it is, they can learn a thing or two. 

Originally Posted by solegit08til

The education is good enough to get you out of the hood. If the teachers are so bad, it should be easy to get an A then right?

Not at all when somebody is interrupting your class fighting ,school lock downs,yelling ,arguing , and messing with you or people around you.The last thing on your mind is get an A .Trust me I went to a bad high school the effects it has on your school work and mind is astonishing.something little as a stolen pencil or taking somebody else's seat can lead to class wide disruption.if you have a 45 minute class and it takes 20 minutes to get it settled down you only have 25 minutes to learn thats if the teacher doesn't give up on you.

Originally Posted by theekinqq

lol white people
clueless
just clueless

Easier said than done. Underrepresented inner city kids will never have the same benefits and resources that middle class white kids have. It takes a lot to push a minority out of this cycle, including luck. 

although there may be a correlation, bad teachers don't always give way to coursework being easy. rather, bad teachers impede on a students ability to receive and understand the material, making these students more than likely to fall behind.

ThorrocksJs wrote:
Not at all when somebody is interrupting your class fighting ,school lock downs,yelling ,arguing , and messing with you or people around you.The last thing on your mind is get an A .Trust me I went to a bad high school the effects it has on your school work and mind is astonishing.something little as a stolen pencil or taking somebody else's seat can lead to class wide disruption.if you have a 45 minute class and it takes 20 minutes to get it settled down you only have 25 minutes to learn thats if the teacher doesn't give up on you.

If you consider yourself a determined student and things like that deter you, then determined you are not. I have never seen or heard of a teacher turning away a student that consistently asks questions IN class and for help AFTER class.

Originally Posted by spacerace

although there may be a correlation, bad teachers don't always give way to coursework being easy. rather, bad teachers impede on a students ability to receive and understand the material, making these students more than likely to fall behind.

Truth a bad teacher can't help you if they don't feel engaged in the subject matter or the student .I've had teachers that would say do x assignment out the book every day and wonder why the class didn't understand the subject matter .I've had t.as as math teachers and they were getting problems wrong themselves didnt help we didnt' have books to take home nor lockers to store books in or notes.You had to carry as much as you could in your backpack .On a crowded bus where kids sometimes sat on the floor or stood up.So bringing a bunch of supplies was an inconvenience to yourself and others.

ThorrocksJs wrote:

If you consider yourself a determined student and things like that deter you, then determined you are not. I have never seen or heard of a teacher turning away a student that consistently asks questions IN class and for help AFTER class.

I've had teachers who refused to do tutorials said we don't get paid extra for that.I've done it all man .I read extra begged teachers to help .Only kids they helped were the engineering academy kids.I've literally read entire books trying to teach my self in high school.I was determined im 19 years old dude in the past 6 years of my life I can tell you that the public school system is a joke and a failure.

Originally Posted by blazinRook

This i think is the main point the author missed.  Just saying "i would do good in school" well you say that from your perspective.  If your family needs money and you are 11 years old....school may take a back seat.

I also think its dumb to say "poor Black kid".  This is a mainly a poverty vs middle class argument race really isn't the major factor here, economic standing is. 

at first i was like fuuuu no youre wrong guy...but i started thinking

we all had that 1 or 3 kids in each of our class who always studied and got good grades, he didnt have much friends nor was popular but he made the best out of it; and then i think about myself, i didnt care 'bout grades after 7th grade.. all i wanted was to make the team, be popular and have sex lolz...

deep down, i know he is right, but accepting that the author is right, in affect shows how i failed myself.

I will be honest my dad was out of my life my middle school and half of my high school years. 6 years without that dude.It was just me my mom and my little brother.I only saw my dad on weekends.I missed out on alot of guidance those years.I slowly picked up some bad habits and issues with myself and it became a trainwreck.Me and him are just now talking and communicating without arguing lately. Guidance is a key role in any males life.I understand what your saying man .I literally raised myself and taught myself for most of my middle school and high school years. 

Back
Top Bottom