Forbes article if I was a poor black kid

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

I will be honest my dad was out of my life my middle school and half of my high school years. 6 years without that dude.It was just me my mom and my little brother.I only saw my dad on weekends.I missed out on alot of guidance those years.I slowly picked up some bad habits and issues with myself and it became a trainwreck.Me and him are just now talking and communicating without arguing lately.

you aight brah? Let it all out fam, nohomo.

Life gets better it always does. Ok, youre not going to become a scientist or an astronaut or even a doctor, but is that the end of the world? Nah man, im 22, i realized if i dont do what makes me happy ill be a miserable guy at 40 or if i even reach 50.

Dont take life for granted man, everyone has hardships, you just got to realize they are not the end but the beginning of a new start.

Originally Posted by solegit08til

ThorrocksJs wrote:

Not at all when somebody is interrupting your class fighting ,school lock downs,yelling ,arguing , and messing with you or people around you.The last thing on your mind is get an A .Trust me I went to a bad high school the effects it has on your school work and mind is astonishing.something little as a stolen pencil or taking somebody else's seat can lead to class wide disruption.if you have a 45 minute class and it takes 20 minutes to get it settled down you only have 25 minutes to learn thats if the teacher doesn't give up on you.
If you consider yourself a determined student and things like that deter you, then determined you are not. I have never seen or heard of a teacher turning away a student that consistently asks questions IN class and for help AFTER class.

I've had teachers who refused to do tutorials said we don't get paid extra for that.I've done it all man .I read extra begged teachers to help .Only kids they helped were the engineering academy kids.I've literally read entire books trying to teach my self in high school.I was determined im 19 years old dude in the past 6 years of my life I can tell you that the public school system is a joke and a failure.

I am also a 19 yo man of color
grin.gif

But just because the system doesn't cater to us doesn't mean we can't eat.
NjCollector sees the light.
You can talk about all the hurdles you want, but they are still just hurdles. I'm not saying it's easy, nor did the author of the article, but it is possible. In fact,
it's more possible now to excel in school than it ever has been.

That was actually completely fair article. Comcast offers cable and internet for $10/mo to low-income families. I know a lot of people from varying socioeconomic backgrounds and being a poor minority does not mean you have no options. However, it's a lot harder to get sympathy when you admit that. Hell, I'm a very-young-single-mothered minority from a lower-middle class family, but my family focused on education (sort of like the hypothetical one mentioned in the article) and I've been able to establish a very decent opportunity for myself in life.

I mean where do you think these same poor kids get the internet access to get on Worldstar or youtube? Where is their internet access when texting or consuming entertainment? 

Ya'll acting real defensive right now honestly... cause when its time to put rubber to road ya'll gotta perform with WHATEVER you got.

There is always a valedictorian in school, why isn't it you? Nothing is handed to any of us.

Some have it easier, no doubt, but the goals are all the same.

Originally Posted by RetroSan

laugh.gif
if only it was that easy
What he said wasn't easy at all. It was the few key elements to getting there. Those parts require lots of hard work... lots of hard work and technology-utilization that a lot of the youths in question would rather use for uploading videos to WWSH and getting face tats.
I was in a situation recently where a man of the same race as me, a little older than myself, who was covered in tattoos--face, head, arms, neck, etc.--was realizing that he should have done other things in life than committing crimes left and right and knocking up a handful of women. He and I came from fairly similar backgrounds except my family focused on education and hard work and his didn't. He's facing multiple years in prison after being free for only a month, I'm about to go take a final in law school.

Life is what you make of it. Public school education and technology is what you make of it. If youngsters today put half as much effort into researching things online as they did into sexting and photoshopping Jordans onto themselves, they may have a better chance in life.

Whether the article was by a white person, black person, or whatever I agree with alot of the points that were discussed.  The one point that that writer didn't list was guidance which is something that needs to be talked about but all things considered he is right.

I mean where do you think these same poor kids get the internet access to get on Worldstar or youtube? Where is their internet access when texting or consuming entertainment? 

Ya'll acting real defensive right now honestly... cause when its time to put rubber to road ya'll gotta perform with WHATEVER you got.

There is always a valedictorian in school, why isn't it you? Nothing is handed to any of us.

Some have it easier, no doubt, but the goals are all the same.
100% truth.  The priorities of some are just way off.

It takes brains.  It takes hard work.  It takes a little luck.  And a little help from others.  It takes the ability and the know-how to use the resources that are available.
Here's where his naivety becomes apparent. For the most-part we all have the capacity for hard work and intelligence. However, success should not be premised on "luck" and help from others, it should be premised on hard work and the will to drive one's self to be successful. The suggestion that luck is needed highlights the fact that the playing field is uneven. Further suggesting help from others as a solution makes it seem as though all help is equal. Is the help of a dedicated teacher who chooses to make him or herself available to underprivileged kids after hours equal to the help of a family legacy that helps a kid get into a better college? Is the help of one after school program in a poor school equal to the help of Harvard graduate professors in a private school? The answer is no. While I agree that we all have to play the hand we're dealt and that complaining is not the solution, I hate these naive outlooks that make it seem as if the way things have progressed is acceptable. The mere suggestion that if a minority of people have done something, the others have no excuse irks me. Things have never been and will never be that simple. To truly progress we need to find ways to bring everyone up, not just those who are able to shine despite the darkness.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

It takes brains.  It takes hard work.  It takes a little luck.  And a little help from others.  It takes the ability and the know-how to use the resources that are available.
Here's where his naivety becomes apparent. For the most-part we all have the capacity for hard work and intelligence. However, success should not be premised on "luck" and help from others, it should be premised on hard work and the will to drive one's self to be successful. The suggestion that luck is needed highlights the fact that the playing field is uneven. Further suggesting help from others as a solution makes it seem as though all help is equal. Is the help of a dedicated teacher who chooses to make him or herself available to underprivileged kids after hours equal to the help of a family legacy that helps a kid get into a better college? Is the help of one after school program in a poor school equal to the help of Harvard graduate professors in a private school? The answer is no. While I agree that we all have to play the hand we're dealt and that complaining is not the solution, I hate these naive outlooks that make it seem as if the way things have progressed is acceptable. The mere suggestion that if a minority of people have done something, the others have no excuse irks me. Things have never been and will never be that simple. To truly progress we need to find ways to bring everyone up, not just those who are able to shine despite the darkness.

Well said

People don't all have an equal opportunity, but they all do have an opportunity. 
No, it's not fair. America--nor anywhere else--is a total meritocracy either. Everybody does need a little luck... hell, a lot of luck really. Pure hard work can only get you so far. People fail to realize just how competitive America is sometimes. There's most likely going to be somebody starting higher than you who wants the same thing as you AND there's somebody right next to you who wants it, too. But, like Jordan said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

He isnt necessarily wrong. This is what it takes for a young poor child in a horrible environment has to do. And thats the problem. I went to a pretty mixed school. The thing that I noticed is that my friends with money (wont even go with blk vs wht) were able to underachieve and slack off but they had parents who would just pay for their college tuition or force them to do just good enough to pass their classes. All kids are slakers to some extent, they just had something to fall back on.  

My pt is most kids arent going to use the resources they have for classwork, how many of us actually used computer lab for its intended purpose?? We expect under privileged kids to work twice as hard as the kids who have everything laid out for them. That's what I think he's missing, the stress and pressure you feel knowing that you're on your own with no one to fall back on or no one to push you when you (inevitably) slack off a little.

That's why I'm doing everything I can to make sure my kids (if I even decide to have any) have it easier. Thats all this generation can do.

The title I think will turn a lot of people off. Once again, blacks are being spotlighted for their "lack of education and financial downfall."

I think if the title alone read: If I was a Poor Kid, it wouldn't be as hurtful or almost malicious. He's not wrong in stating that education is key, but he doesn't realize that everyone has a different home life than what is always presented.

Originally Posted by Hollywood James 6

Who cares, you get out of life what you put in.

This

I've said this so many times, My roomate grew up in public housing and is now an investment banker at a top wall street bank. I know other stories.

People call them luck stories. Know, those are just people who were lucky enough to actually try hard.

If you are poor you might have try 10x as hard, if you are black you might have to try 2x as hard.
I know people who's parents died, still kept on cranking. Family on drugs, whatever you can think of.

Nobody said it would be easy, but it is not impossible.

It's easier for some people with more access sure. Some horses have a trainer to show them to the river, other horses need to find that river themselves. But at the end of the day, nobody can force the horse to drink.

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

People don't all have an equal opportunity, but they all do have an opportunity. 
No, it's not fair. America--nor anywhere else--is a total meritocracy either. Everybody does need a little luck... hell, a lot of luck really. Pure hard work can only get you so far. People fail to realize just how competitive America is sometimes. There's most likely going to be somebody starting higher than you who wants the same thing as you AND there's somebody right next to you who wants it, too. But, like Jordan said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Right, but that used to be reserved for those who were trying to reach the top. It's a struggle just to live a "normal" life now. Not everyone is striving to be rich. Hard work used to be all it took, our parents and grandparents didn't NEED degrees to make a living. They could find a "regular" full-time job and live a decent life.That's a necessity now, just to even think about making ends meet.

zero perspective.

that's all imma say.

"It takes a little luck."

aint no luck for no inner city kids in west philly

sorry, middle aged white guy who's had an easier life...

im not reading responses or none of that

someone told me to peep this article off twitter.

i honestly dont even have the will to go back and forth over this.

he admitted it off top

" It takes a little luck."

he said he'd make reading his number 1 priority...

not avoiding the crack spot where he can be shot in the face for visiting....

nah, reading would be number 1.

not running from police because he matches a description....

nope, reading.

not putting his crackhead moms stem out so it doesnt catch the mattress on fire

reading is number 1

not feeding himself and his 3 siblings

reading.

not making sure you dont get abducted by a fiend on the way to the store to get similac for your baby sister....

reading.

i guess he didnt think of those other things, being a middle aged white man, huh?

right.

The writer of the article just doesn't get it. If he cared enough to actually go to these inner city schools and see's what's going on, and make a difference, he wouldn't even have an article to write.

If he was a poor black kid, and would do everything he says in that article, why doesn't he go to the hood and actually implement that stuff instead of write about it in Forbes of all places. How many underpriveleged black youth are looking for the latest issues of Forbes?

That's the only thing I don't like about white ppl how they have all these reasons and ideas about what black people should do with their lives but don't ever DO anything about it.

How is a "poor black kid" supposed to be aware of all of these resources though?

I'm sure they're reading Forbes with a cup of Starbucks on their way to school in West Philadelphia.

there is a lot of wrong in this guys ideas but in a way he is right

to get good grades and to get far in life it takes HARD work, a little luck, of course, it takes a little luck for everybody out there even the middle class kids.

the point is, i see the kids that are in the high school in my neighborhood, i know a lot also since my little brother is also that age.

the kids aren't focused, they don't care. young black kids (coming from the outlook of someone just looking at the majority) are more focused on getting the freshest gear and just kicking it.

it isn't impossible for these kids to actually start caring once in a while about grades and learning topics like math, english, social studies.... especially at the high school level, that stuff is easy regardless who you are or where your from

kids these days just aren't focused and the priorities are all mixed up. there is a lot federal funding, and scholarships you can receive being a inner-city kid. especially if you are a inner-city kid that has high grades in a school where the majority doesn't graduate.

my boy johnjohn, all of high school he cared about his grades and keeping them high, he went to abraham lincoln high school in brooklyn (school had a 13% graduation rate at one point). he graduated with a 98 average, got a 1900 on his SAT and got a full scholarship and is getting paid to go to Syracuse University. he grew up in coney island projects just like most the kids in lincoln, his mother was a single mom (recovered crackhead) he had 2 younger brothers. he cared about school and knew that his grades would get him out of the ghetto.

he was no different than any kid, other than the fact that he put in work, BTW he just got an internship for this summer also.

How many off you actually read that article? The article wasn’t written to address all the ills affecting poor Black people. In fact, how many of you would have been receptive to an article like that from a ‘middle aged White man?’ A lot of the responses in here lead me to believe not many.

He states very clearly that it’s not a level playing field and that opportunities and issues at home are not similar, so why is it even being mentioned as something he cant fathom or consider. He, rightfully, brushed over that, probably, because he concedes he shouldn’t touch on that topic due to him being a white man from a middle class upbringing.

How about paying attention to the message and ignoring the messenger. Which is, there are ways to improve you situation as a poor minority and that ignorance is biggest issue. Kids don’t know there is another way. Kids aren’t privy to the resources and opportunities available to them. That’s was the intent of the article and that’s all that needs to be taken from it.

I will say, I expected him to touch on the mentor and guidance role within poor communities, but after seeing these responses I’m glad he didn’t.
How is a "poor black kid" supposed to be aware of all of these resources though?

That’s the natural question that this article begs. I see it like this: We read it and are aware of it and now it’s time to do our part and get the information out there and break the cycle, but, of course, that requires that you actually care about poor communities and aren’t just interested in complaining about uneven playing fields. I think it’s best option and definitely better than complaining about the messengers naivety.

Man.....man this article got me heated.  It just shows the naive and arrogance of some people mainly upper/middle class whites.

This man doesn't realize that kids don't raise themselves.  He fails to realize that in these "poor black" environments there are little to no positive role models and father figures.  All this dude needs to do is watch "The Wire" season with the boys.  Hell all he has to do watch the 1st season and look at how my dude Wallace was living.  That might be an extreme example but Mr.Forbes doesn't understand the reality of these environments.

Basically every "poor black" kid should have the determination of a scholar. Basically every "poor black" kid should teach themself how to read, write, speak, and network.  They should ignore girls, sports, video games, drugs, and other distractions and have study groups in libraries. 
laugh.gif
 C'mon man normal kids don't do that.  Not white or black. Not poor or rich.  Like somebody said it just shows how uneven the playing field is.  Just think about it like this.

Middle class white kids can be normal kids and still end up having a decent life

Poor blacks can't be normal kids and still end up having a decent life because of all the factors they are born into.  It will take a Tebow-esqe effort to rise from the negative environment.  They must get 4.0 gpas, academic scholarships, stay out of trouble, and teach themself from a young age that everything they see isn't right and they should strive to become something they rarely see....a positive black man with a degree and career.

Sounds about fair...

Back
Top Bottom