Ford Second Worst in Consumer Reports Reliability Survey

They were doing so well but the new tech really screwed them up.

Ford tumbles to second worst in Consumer Reports reliability survey, list dominated by Japanese

It's no secret that MyFord Touch has had its share of problems since being introduced, but the most recent reliability survey from Consumer Reports shows just how much this infotainment system has affected Ford. Just two years ago, the automaker was in the top 10 for the institute's reliability rankings, but since then, it has tumbled to the second-lowest rung just above dead-last Jaguar. In addition to MyFord Touch, CR also attributes a handful of new products that have had issues right out of the gate.

Compiled from 1.2 million subscriber surveys, this year's auto reliability survey heavily favors Japanese automakers, with eight of the 10 spots hailing from Japan. Toyota brands grabbed the top three spots (Scion, Toyota and Lexus – in that order) with Mazda, Subaru, Honda and Acura filling the next four spots. The only non-Asian automaker cracking the top 10 was Audi at number eight.

Audi climbed a total of 18 spots from last year, and Cadillac and GMC round out this year's top gainers breaking into the top 15. Helping Cadillac's upward movement, the CTS Coupe was named the most reliable domestic car. Lincoln, Volvo and Chrysler join Ford on this year's biggest loser list.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/29/ford-tumbles-to-second-worst-in-consumer-reports-reliabil/

Looks like their trans was problematic as well.

Respondents to the Consumer Reports 2012 reliability survey ranked Ford’s Lincoln and Ford brands 26th and 27th out of 28 brands, many of them citing problems with “MyFord Touch” multimedia systems and “PowerShift” transmissions.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2...rts-study-details-fords-technology-backfires/

Such a shame, they were doing great. All of Detroit was starting to do well in terms of reliability. The Japanese just have that aspect locked down in the market

Last edited:
Sucks to hear but i hate that they take into account the my ford touch system into these reliability tests. My definition of reliability is the car starting everyday and taking me from point a to b etc and not having any issues. I wonder how much user error went into these reliability surveys as well.

Seriously though, that's an offensive term...
And as regards to the thread I wasn't aware that Ford was ever doing well in reliability ratings. When is the last time they even broke the top 10?
My fault fam, I'll edit it. I just figured it was an abbreviation. No disrespect intended my dude

Sucks to hear but i hate that they take into account the my ford touch system into these reliability tests. My definition of reliability is the car starting everyday and taking me from point a to b etc and not having any issues. I wonder how much user error went into these reliability surveys as well.

I think it's fair since German cars have been hit with the same problem/issues/negativity with it. One of BMWs main complaint was the iDrive system before it got upgraded to a more user friendly interface, Ford actually addressed (or tried) earlier this year and offered the upgrade to previous owners. I think it is a good aspect to included this generation because technology is such a big part of our lives now and if the system can't even sync on your iPhone properly, then it is a problem but it seems like the problem is bigger than that.

But there were more problems. The system was simply buggy. Response to touch-screen inputs was slow. Sometimes the system froze or completely crashed. Various minor updates didn’t really solve all of the problems. Just last week I tried to browse iPod songs in our MKX for a demonstration. System response was so slow that I just gave up and picked another car.

It’s not just us, either. Our reliability survey reports that 14 to 19 percent of Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX owners report problems with the audio system—not criticisms, but true problems. A later release, Explorers were somewhat less buggy, with about 10 percent having a problem—very high for a brand-new car. J.D. Power reported reliability and design problems, as well. Other journalists have reported experiences with troublesome press cars. MyFord Touch’s problems go beyond online defenses claiming that only Luddites and technology-averse owners are complaining. Owners and professional automotive experts are complaining. Real people.
http://news.consumerreports.org/car...-upgrades-for-current-owners-2013-models.html

\

CTS coupe >*

I love Chevy's lineup this year, they don't have a bad looking car in it besides the sonic. The Volt is fire

most Chevys just look so blah though

The more I look at these muscles car, I really am digging the Camaro more than the Mustang, it just looks much more muscular and intimidating to look at while the current gen Mustang (outside of the Boss or GT500/CPbra) looks kind of bland these days, really needs a redesign quick. The next Corvette should look great too but outside of those two cars, I agree with their cars. Ford gets my vote for the AstonMartin-esque design.

The more I look at these muscles car, I really am digging the Camaro more than the Mustang, it just looks much more muscular and intimidating to look at while the current gen Mustang (outside of the Boss or GT500/CPbra) looks kind of bland these days, really needs a redesign quick. The next Corvette should look great too but outside of those two cars, I agree with their cars. Ford gets my vote for the AstonMartin-esque design.
Might have asked this before but I've always wondered, do you work in the industry RFX?

I went the opposite way; I liked the Camaro more at first but I def. like the Mustang better now

I am def. looking forward to seeing the new finished Vette; the new Ford Fusion is real nice looking

most Chevys just look so blah though

Bruh,

That Challenger >>>>

Off looks alone that design is banging. 

I'll always be a Mustang guy but the new ZL1 Camaro is :wow: Would still get a Boss or GT500 over it but the bang for the buck performance on the zl1 is mind blowing.

Last edited:
>D at people complaining about the infotainment system. Shouldn't be using that stuff while driving anyways.

Bruh,

That Challenger >>>>

Challenger sucks compared to the other two; the design is nice but compared to the ride the Camaro and Mustang kill it

but the new Viper is just :x in good way

Bruh,

That Challenger >>>>

Challenger is nice but their absolute pigs performance wise. So damn heavy. Fast in a straight line and that's it. Mustang and Camaro are just as quick but handles well also.

Challenger is nice but their absolute pigs performance wise. So damn heavy. Fast in a straight line and that's it. Mustang and Camaro are just as quick but handles well also.

I stick with Z's :pimp:

the "****" Mustang :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom