Frustrated Recent College Grads - CHECK IN

im just working a part time retail job while i continue to job hunt. the pay sucks, but at least im doing something with my time. when i was unemployed i was going crazy. just keep grinding, do volunteer work, internships, try to network as much as possible.

im just working a part time retail job while i continue to job hunt. the pay sucks, but at least im doing something with my time. when i was unemployed i was going crazy. just keep grinding, do volunteer work, internships, try to network as much as possible.

Checking in. But I was extremely fortunate to land an internship (with some connections). I still want to find a full-time gig somewhere, but I've only had one other interview (and I've been applying since February).
It's a rough economy, and very few people I know have jobs (that have graduated and aren't going to graduate school). It's rough, and you definitely need connections in order to land jobs it seems like.

Checking in. But I was extremely fortunate to land an internship (with some connections). I still want to find a full-time gig somewhere, but I've only had one other interview (and I've been applying since February).
It's a rough economy, and very few people I know have jobs (that have graduated and aren't going to graduate school). It's rough, and you definitely need connections in order to land jobs it seems like.

its all about connections, getting tons of applicable experience during college, and starting your job search early (beginning of senior year).

just some advice for folks still in undergrad, JOIN a business fraternity. every single one of my co-ed business fraternity members/fellow graduates were able to get jobs all over the SF Bay Area. Companies ARE actively hiring!

its all about connections, getting tons of applicable experience during college, and starting your job search early (beginning of senior year).

just some advice for folks still in undergrad, JOIN a business fraternity. every single one of my co-ed business fraternity members/fellow graduates were able to get jobs all over the SF Bay Area. Companies ARE actively hiring!

UGH I am in the same boat.

I landed what I thought was a decent job straight out of college, and it turned out to be a shady operation. (Mortgage Broker)

Now I am jobless, and struggling to find anything decent.

UGH I am in the same boat.

I landed what I thought was a decent job straight out of college, and it turned out to be a shady operation. (Mortgage Broker)

Now I am jobless, and struggling to find anything decent.

its definitely tough out there.

i graduated with marketing and economics back in 07 and it took me about 6 months to land my first job in the field of my choice.

after a stint at tribune company and moving to myspace in 08 i was laid off in late 09 and have been on unemployment until last week (started a new job with the state of CA).

its tougher now moreso than ever and discouraging as it may be, give it time and stay persistent. the more exposure your resume gets, the better.

finding a job is like many things in life; a game of numbers.

the more effort and work you put out, the higher probability you will achieve what you strive for.

keep looking and everything will fall into place eventually man. if it makes you feel better, my old coworker from myspace started a gig at break media (break.com's father company) and just quit since he finally figured out that the digital ad sphere wasnt for him. guess what, back to square 1 for him once more.

i guess my point is, you gotta go through it to get to it and there are plenty of people here and friends that will probably attest to that.

its definitely tough out there.

i graduated with marketing and economics back in 07 and it took me about 6 months to land my first job in the field of my choice.

after a stint at tribune company and moving to myspace in 08 i was laid off in late 09 and have been on unemployment until last week (started a new job with the state of CA).

its tougher now moreso than ever and discouraging as it may be, give it time and stay persistent. the more exposure your resume gets, the better.

finding a job is like many things in life; a game of numbers.

the more effort and work you put out, the higher probability you will achieve what you strive for.

keep looking and everything will fall into place eventually man. if it makes you feel better, my old coworker from myspace started a gig at break media (break.com's father company) and just quit since he finally figured out that the digital ad sphere wasnt for him. guess what, back to square 1 for him once more.

i guess my point is, you gotta go through it to get to it and there are plenty of people here and friends that will probably attest to that.

Man OVERSEAS is where the bread is at. America is oversaturated. Take your capitalist mindset overseas and I'm telling you I've been to places where the market was WIDE open. Get smart and stay mobile and stop thinking small and think international.

Man OVERSEAS is where the bread is at. America is oversaturated. Take your capitalist mindset overseas and I'm telling you I've been to places where the market was WIDE open. Get smart and stay mobile and stop thinking small and think international.

same boat...

graduated in June with a Bachelors in Journalism. Was the Sports Director at the schools radio station for 2 years...lead PBP for mens bball and baseball over that time. The worst part is I don't have or want a plan B i want to be in sports media.

I'm currently with an agency and putting together my demo tape but god the opportunities are so slim in this field...It's getting really really depressing

same boat...

graduated in June with a Bachelors in Journalism. Was the Sports Director at the schools radio station for 2 years...lead PBP for mens bball and baseball over that time. The worst part is I don't have or want a plan B i want to be in sports media.

I'm currently with an agency and putting together my demo tape but god the opportunities are so slim in this field...It's getting really really depressing

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

threads like this makes me wonder the value of college in todays economy
How do I say this... A bachelors isn't as prestigious as it once was.  That crap is mandatory.  Masters are becoming the same.  It's not like a degree is hurting you or you are wasting your time getting one.  You just have to make the most of your time while getting it.  Network, find internshipS, double major, maintain a competitive GPA (or at least bust your @%$! your final 2 years).  People I know who fit that bill are doing good right now.  Found jobs straight out of school.  

But these employers qualifications are becoming borderline outrageous.  How can an entry level job require a degree along with 3+ full years of experience?  ENTRY LEVEL 
mad.gif

Right now, I apply for any thing labeled as entry level.  Nothing beats a failure but a try.  They wont call you in for an interview just to say how unqualified you are.

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

threads like this makes me wonder the value of college in todays economy
How do I say this... A bachelors isn't as prestigious as it once was.  That crap is mandatory.  Masters are becoming the same.  It's not like a degree is hurting you or you are wasting your time getting one.  You just have to make the most of your time while getting it.  Network, find internshipS, double major, maintain a competitive GPA (or at least bust your @%$! your final 2 years).  People I know who fit that bill are doing good right now.  Found jobs straight out of school.  

But these employers qualifications are becoming borderline outrageous.  How can an entry level job require a degree along with 3+ full years of experience?  ENTRY LEVEL 
mad.gif

Right now, I apply for any thing labeled as entry level.  Nothing beats a failure but a try.  They wont call you in for an interview just to say how unqualified you are.

Keep grinding man, there is plenty of money/opportunities to be had in the DC region.
Just gotta keep your eyes open and your head up.

Keep grinding man, there is plenty of money/opportunities to be had in the DC region.
Just gotta keep your eyes open and your head up.

Originally Posted by Hazat50

Originally Posted by jrp44

I graduated in December 2009 with a B.S. in Accounting.....still can't get a job in my field 
tired.gif
Did you take the CPA?
I was going to ask this when I saw this post last night because in terms of business related majors, accounting is noted to be the security blanket in terms of finding employment.

Back
Top Bottom