Future Timelines

Futuretimelines.net

Has anyone seen this site before? I'm wasting time before class and my coworker told me about it a while back decided to look through it again.
It's essentially just predictions of events that could happen in the future all the way up to Beyond 10^100

Pretty interesting stuff.

HIV/AIDS was first characterised in 1983. By the early 2010s, the virus had killed over 28 million people worldwide, and 34 million people were living with the infection. Although a cure remained elusive, antiretroviral treatments were able to slow the progression of the disease and provide sufferers with a near-normal life expectancy. However, while antiretroviral treatments reduced the risk of death, these medications were expensive and often associated with side effects.

In 2012, a vaccine known as SAV001 – which had previous success in animal subjects – began Phase 1 human trials in London, Ontario. This randomised, observer-blinded, placebo-controlled study used a ground-breaking technique involving a genetically modified, killed whole-virus vaccine. Prior to this, other experimental vaccines had either used subunits of the virus or relied on genetically modified non-HIV viruses to carry an HIV-like genetic sequence.

SAV001 was administered to infected men and women aged 18 to 50. Results from the trials showed that patients experienced no adverse effects – no local reactions from the injections, or any signs, symptoms, or reactions to any potential toxicities – while significantly boosting immunity.*

With proven safety and tolerability in humans, the experimental vaccine progressed to Phase II and Phase III trials, with similar success. By 2017, it is becoming commercially available.*

View media item 135139

America is a country founded on immigration.* Today, its population is more diverse and multicultural than ever. Following the 1965 immigration reform (which grew from the civil rights movement), the number of non-white people increased dramatically. This was particularly true of Latinos, who went from 6.3m in 1960* to over 50m by 2010.*

By the early 2010s, non-whites had already begun to outnumber whites in California, Hawaii, New Mexico, Texas and Washington DC, while nearly half of all children in the nation were non-white.* This trend continued over the subsequent decades. By 2042, white people themselves have become a minority.**

This rapid change in the demographic makeup has significantly altered the political disposition of the country. Latinos,* blacks* and other minorities tend to be left-leaning.* Other factors have influenced voters' preferences - such as the growing urbanisation of the country, with cities tending to favour more liberal and progressive policies than smaller, traditional rural communities. Generation X and Generation Y (the latter now entering their middle age) have also reshaped the political stage, most of them favouring the Democrats.*

This and other factors have converged to make the old-style Republican Party unelectable. By now, the GOP has been forced to drastically moderate its policies and rhetoric compared to earlier decades.*

America's Tomorrow from PolicyLink on Vimeo.

Increased living costs and environmental regulations have resulted in smaller, cheaper, more energy-efficient cars. More people than ever before are choosing to live and work alone, while the number of children per couple has also dropped sharply, two additional factors which have led to these lighter, more compact vehicles, a large percentage of which carry just one or two passengers.

The vast majority of cars in the developed world are now computer-controlled,* while traffic flow and other road management issues are handled by advanced networks of AI working together. The resulting fall in congestion has boosted some economies by tens of billions of dollars.

The inherent safety of being controlled by machine, rather than human hands, allows for greater speed of travel: over 100mph in many countries. Even when crashes do occur, which is extraordinarily rare, built-in safety features and toughened materials (including carbon nanotubes) means that fatalities are becoming virtually non-existent.

Meanwhile, a number of the largest automakers are conducting long term research into hovering/flying vehicles, based on existing military technology.

View media item 135144

In some European nations, the number of people considering themselves to be non-religious has increased from around 30% in 1980, to over 90% now.*

Although large numbers of Muslims populate the continent, a substantial portion are now only "culturally" Muslim, rather than having a literal interpretation of the Koran. Mainstream Islam has begun a reformation and modernisation in recent years - aided by vast improvements in education, combined with the broad homogenisation of culture resulting from globalisation, the Internet, various international agreements and other factors.

Medical advances are undermining religion as a whole, by greatly diminishing the fear of death, while developments in AI, robotics and biotechnology are beginning to trivialise the miracles on which many ancient religions are based. The increasing presence of androids in society - along with other forms of sentience - is adding a whole new dimension to the way humans view themselves and their place in the Universe. The ability to communicate with certain artifically enhanced animals (such as dolphins, monkeys and domestic pets) is also contributing to this trend.

Spirituality continues to play a role in European cultures - but is now based more on nature and physical reality, rather than myths, dogma or supernatural forces.

The USA still lags far behind Europe in terms of atheistic belief, however. It will be another century before America reaches the same level; even longer for certain parts of Asia. Even then, a small percentage of citizens will continue to worship a God (or Gods), well into the next millenium. These people will tend to be those who reject science and technology, or have purposefully chosen to isolate themselves from the rest of the world.

View media item 135145

The nanotechnology of recent decades has conferred powers to citizens that would be considered superhuman by 21st century standards. These upgraded "transhumans" could perform feats regarded as Godlike to denizens of earlier times.

A suitably upgraded individual - if transported back to the year 2000 - would be impervious to weaponry and nearly impossible to contain. They could morph their body into a seemingly infinite variety of forms depending on the situation encountered.*

If trapped in a maximum security prison, for instance, they could alter their own molecular structure, allowing them to walk through walls.* They could broadcast electromagnetic pulse waves to disable electronic devices, vehicles and other objects. Bullets and other projectiles would pass through them with no effect. Microscopic cameras, distributed throughout their body, would function as an all-round 360° sensor - covering the entire electromagnetic spectrum and making it impossible for an attacker to surprise them.

They could sprint at lightning speed and cross a variety of dangerous terrain types: even molten lava would present no obstacle to them. If necessary, they could levitate from ground level to the roof of a skyscraper in seconds. They could turn themselves invisible, morph into another person entirely, or stretch their limbs like elastic.

In many ways, they would resemble a comic book superhero or video game character.

They could manipulate their environment in various ways, generating enough body heat to light a fire, for example, or turning inanimate objects into advanced nanotechnology tools, or modifying the properties of liquids. They could heal a wounded person just by touching them. They could read thoughts and emotions, or extract recent memories.

If standing near others of their kind, they could link and combine their powers to even greater levels – harnessing the power of local weather, for example, or lifting objects weighing thousands of tons.

Their sensory capabilities would be phenomenal. This 24th century person could view individual atoms with the naked eye; or if they wanted to, use their telescopic vision to see distant astronomical objects. They could hear a whisper from miles away, or filter specific voices from a cacophony of background noise. They could determine a precise chemical composition just by tasting, touching or smelling it.

Due to their various biotechnology aids and physical upgrades, they would never require sleep. They could even survive without food and water - living instead off the energy of their surrounding environment, which would be absorbed into their photosynthetic, piezoelectric skin. This same external layering would keep them at peak levels of physical performance, as well as shielding them from the elements.

In fact, many citizens of today have abandoned their homes altogether and taken to a nomadic lifestyle, for this and other reasons. Often, a "home" of today is little more than a small booth or alcove in the street, where a person can temporarily recharge and recuperate, or utilise the greater powers of the net. Even a person's body is often temporary, as they shift between various real world and digital environments. Much of the Earth is now being transformed into a gigantic computer grid where individuals can physically "plug" themselves in.

Not everyone has opted to make this transition. Even now, there are segments of society which are adamant in maintaining a natural, minimally upgraded human body. These people are now a definite minority, however, given the practical immortality and other benefits offered by transhumanism.
View media item 135149

The biological and technological descendants of humanity are attaining the perfection of computer science.* Hardware and software are becoming the absolute fastest, most efficient they can ever possibly be, within the known laws of physics. All of the knowledge to do so has now been largely achieved.

From this point onwards, computer science becomes obsolete as a field of study - the only "unknowns" left for researchers to discover will be in other areas of science.*

View media item 135147

The Chernobyl explosion, which occurred in 1986, was the worst nuclear accident in history - affecting tens of thousands of square kilometres of land. Radiation at the centre of the former disaster zone has decayed to negligible levels by now.*

In any case, the original buildings on site have long since disappeared and indeed, Earth itself would be unrecognisable today.

View media item 135151

This **** is probably real. The government just likes to **** with us.

This **** is probably real. The government just likes to **** with us.
:lol:
I wouldn't mind freezing myself to be around and witness some of this stuff. Especially the superpowers and space exploration

It's funny, I have been thinking about the concept of having superpowers for regular people for the last year. Like this, say you are able to get a gene at allows you to fly for example. Regular people can do it, but if you fly it's like running for 10 miles or so. So, if you want to fly, you have to train really hard to be able to sustain it for a long time. Who would be able to do this? Pro athletes, they are sort of like superheroes, or close to it for example. Take that idea and just switch it for whatever other ability you want.

It's funny, I have been thinking about the concept of having superpowers for regular people for the last year. Like this, say you are able to get a gene at allows you to fly for example. Regular people can do it, but if you fly it's like running for 10 miles or so. So, if you want to fly, you have to train really hard to be able to sustain it for a long time. Who would be able to do this? Pro athletes, they are sort of like superheroes, or close to it for example. Take that idea and just switch it for whatever other ability you want.

I think I've seen too many movies because the first thing I think of are superpowered assassins

I think I've seen too many movies because the first thing I think of are superpowered assassins

Of course our initial human instinct is to use these powers to kill :smh:. I just want to be invisible and fly so I can look at nekkid chicks whenver I want. Yes, that still the kid part in me :lol:

roll.gif
we'll see about this

Some of these predictions are mind blowing. If I live to see late 70s-early 80s
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Some of this is reaching, but a lot of it is very possible in the near future, especially the HIV vaccine.

Wasn't people saying we'd have flying cars by the year 2000 in the 70s?

Sometimes humanity gets to feeling itself a bit too hard.

Wasn't people saying we'd have flying cars by the year 2000 in the 70s?
Sometimes humanity gets to feeling itself a bit too hard.

I don't think it's too far fetched, we have amphibious cars. And aren't planes flying cars? lol

Hate being born this soon man. All I care about is space exploration

Back
Top Bottom