GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD- Recap

We need to work on rebounding bad
Yeah I think it's showing how good Jeff was on the glass, even if the numbers didn't reflect it.

Pat should be a better rebounder than he is, same with Dajuan. Roy can only rebound in his area, which is expected.

It has to improve, I don't know what it'll take. Maybe a Tom Izzo like session with football pads

i was expecting to come in here to Cuse fans blowin up our post and then being hella salty at this point. anyway, im glad we pulled this one out. it was atough win but one that we needed to stay ahead in the BE

This is disappointing..

Hoyas' Wright Is Likely Out for Season

By Camille Powell
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 25, 2008; Page E05

Georgetown Coach John Thompson III said yesterday he is not optimistic freshman Chris Wright will play again this season because of an injured right foot.

"In my head, I have to proceed as if he's not going to be back, and then if he does, he is," Thompson said. "I don't think that'sgoing to be happening. We made the decision along with him and his family just to be overly cautious."

Wright, a three-time All-Met from St. John's, broke his right foot while playing pickup basketball in late September and had surgery, but he was cleared toplay by the start of the season. He then rolled his right ankle at practice on Jan. 4, an injury that Thompson initially described as "nothingmajor."

A week later, Wright felt discomfort in the foot. He has not been practicing, though he was dribbling and shooting the ball yesterday, which Thompson was quickto point out that Wright shouldn't be doing.

The 6-foot-1 guard was averaging 6.2 points and 2.3 assists in 17.9 minutes as a reserve for the ninth-ranked Hoyas (15-2, 5-1). He is ineligible for a medicalredshirt because he played in 11 games, which is more than 30 percent of Georgetown's scheduled contests.

"It's definitely frustrating, because you know you could produce out there if you were playing, but at the same time, there's nothing you can doabout it," Wright said. "You have to move on and be happy for your teammates that are out there. . . . That's the biggest thing."

Thompson also said the Hoyas might redshirt freshman forward Nikita Mescheriakov. Mescheriakov, who played at St. John's-Prospect Hall, was ruledineligible for the first 10 games of the season because he briefly played for, but was not compensated by, a professional team in his native Belarus. He hasyet to play this season.

Kid just needs to heal up finally. Which is better safe than sorry, I think he'd be nice to have this yeaer, he has a an extra gear our other guardsdon't.

Jeremiah really is gona be counted on now, and he's up to the challenge, imo.

Next year it becomes loaded

With the big men coming in, Freeman can play more of his natural 2 position

Then..
Wright
Sapp
Rivers
Clark

that perimeter D next season
pimp.gif

He can shoot the ball...thats about all right now. I got to see him in the Kenner League this past summer and you could tell he's not used to this type ofhigh level comp. He adjusted a tad bit as the summer progressed. If he puts in the work he can be a rotation player down the line. He can shoot that ball tho.

Yeah, that'd be nice to see, he could use the redshirt....

hopefully Roy reads this

By Bob Hertzel
For the Times West Virginian

MORGANTOWN - Sometimes receiving an honor is a blessing.

Sometimes it's a curse.

Roy Hibbert of Georgetown was named the Big East's preseason Player of the Year.

It was a bad choice.

Not that it has destroyed Hibbert, as it did some Heisman Trophy winners in years gone by. But it was hype that he couldn't possibly live up to. Even at7-feet, 2-inches, Hibbert is more a piece of a puzzle, rather than the answer to it.

As he and his Big East-leading Hoyas swagger into the Coliseum Saturday night, he is averaging 13.1 points a game, which is Da'Sean Butler-like numbers,not Player of the Year numbers. Despite his altitude, he doesn't rank in the top 20 rebounders in the conference and stands but fifth in blocked shots.

These numbers represent something of a regression from his junior year, but in truth that could have been anticipated.

It took Jerry Wainwright, the DePaul coach, to point out what's missing after playing and losing to Georgetown on Jan. 6.

Asked the difference this year from last, Wainwright replied:

"The biggest difference is Jeff Green is gone. I don't know if there was a front-court combination that presented the difficulties those kids did lastyear. Jeff Green was strong enough to play around the basket, and his shooting made them go.

"You lose a guy like that next to you, it changes your game and how people are going to guard you."

Georgetown coach John Thompson III has been aware all season of the effect Green's absence has had on Hibbert's role on the team. It's hisassessment that the numbers do not tell the whole story.

"A lot of people pick up stat sheet and make evaluations," Thompson said. "You can't do that the way we play. Roy has improvedsignificantly. He's getting a lot more attention this year. He has 2 or 3 bodies around him. He's picking his spots when to score and when to throwout.

"You may not see the natural progression in his numbers, but he's a better player. His footwork is improved. His ability to move has improved.It's showed up on the defensive end as well."

You see it another way, as Notre Dame coach Mike Brey pointed out after Hibbert scored 21 points against his Irish this year.

"He's probably gotten to be a more cruel competitor, and I mean that as a compliment. He's gotten crueler at going for the jugular when he'sgot somebody down," Brey said.

Green opted for the NBA at season's end last year.

Hibbert was faced with a similar decision, a tougher one. Certainly, at his height, he would be a high draft selection, which entered into any discussion ofwhether he should go or stay.

He asked his coach for advice. He asked his family for advice. He asked the father of one of his teammates for advice.

That was the man he was most likely to get the best advice from.

His teammate is Patrick Ewing Jr.

His father is Patrick Ewing, the best center ever at Georgetown, one of the best ever at any college, and a Hall of Fame-to-be NBA star with the New YorkKnicks.

Ewing would often come by practice when he could. He'd work with Hibbert, who came to school as a freshman who had problems with his footwork and his handsand his weight. He came in weighing 290 and unable to do even one pushup. At times, Thompson would refer to him as "Big Stiff."

"He'd stop by and show me some moves," Hibbert said this year at Big East Media Day at Madison Square Garden.

Now he was asking Ewing whether he should move or stay put at Georgetown.

"He told me it was my decision and that whatever I decided would be the right decision," Hibbert recalled.

Hibbert thought about what Ewing had said. He thought about what Ewing did, coming back to Georgetown to help win a national championship and to put anexclamation point on his collegiate career.

"I figured, what's one more year? Hopefully I can be looked at as one of the great centers down the line. If we win this year, maybe I'll beremembered like that."

But Hibbert isn't a dominator like Ewing was or Alonzo Mourning or Dikembe Motumbo, all Georgetown centers. If he is to be remembered for anything, it ismore likely for being someone who made himself into a solid player through hard work and dedication.

The phrase "evenly matched teams" is a bit overused in college basketball, but its an apt description for the Big East's two most fundamentallysound teams in West Virginia and Georgetown. Over the last four years, as John Beilein reengineered the Mountaineers into an efficient and effective collegeteam. Beilein's departure to Michigan and the arrival of WVU alumnus Bob Huggins hasn't changed the formula just yet, as Huggins has relied on many ofthe same tools to bring the Mountaineers to the edge of the Big East summit.

Standing ahead of them on the mountain is, of course, Georgetown, another team which has redefined itself this decade. With a shot at first place on the lineSaturday, both teams need to do what they do best, and take the other out of its (own) game.

West Virginia returns two starters from last season's 27-9 team, a group that narrowly missed the NCAA's but swept through to its first NIT title since1942. Its backcourt is back intact from that club, led by point guard Darris Nichols. Nichols is averaging 11 points a game, though in only one Big east gamehas he shot better than 50 percent. Nichols' 2.44 to 1 assist to turnover ratio defines a player that helps set up the WVU offense, and his 36.7 minutesper game average allows him to contribute throughout the game.

More offense is likely from 6-6 swing man Alex Ruoff. Ruoff is an effective if erratic shooter--he is capable of big numbers (8-12, 23 points versus Syracuse)but can be frustrated from outside (1-9 against St. John's). Ruoff's drives pick up its share of fouls and his 87 percent average is a steady source ofpoints for West Virginia. Another iron man in the backcourt (37.2 min./game), Ruoff will look to jump-start a WV outside game that has not been as effective inrecent games, shooting just 33 percent from behind the arc versus 39.2 percent in non-conference play.

A groin injury to veteran forward Joe Alexander has elevated 6-7 John Flowers to a starting role, with limited effect. Alexander hasn't disappeared by anymeans, and with four straight double figure games and 13 of 17 this season, he is no less effective off the bench. Alexander may eventually start Saturday, butregardless of his starting role he figures to be there at the end. Alexander is shooting 47 percent from the field, mostly from two point range, and 87 percentfrom the line. Alexander figures to get 12-15 shot attempts in Saturday's game and is capable of a big game if left unprotected.

Power forward DeSean Butler has been up and down over his WVU career but may be coming into his own this season. The 6-7 Butler leads the team in shootingpercentage at over 53%, is averaging nearly seven rebounds a game in conference play, and cut his foul totals down since fouling out of four of the first 12games this season. He led the Mountaineers in scoring and rebounding over two of the last three games, and has proven to be a difficult opponent to containthis season. Butler's shot with 5.6 seconds averted a major upset by Marshall on Wednesday night, and he is becoming the Mountaineers' go-to playerlate.

The Mountaineers' question mark heading into the thick of the Big East season remains at center. 7-0 Jamie Smalligan has seen his playing time dropsignificantly, if for no other reason than his woeful 1-12 field goal shooting over six conference games. Smalligan is shooting 28% from the field overall thisseason, 5-38 (13%) from three point range, and averages less than three rebounds a game. Those are three stats not to bring into a game with Roy Hibbert, butthe Mountaineers have no other players taller than 6-7. Unless West Virginia goes to a small lineup, Smalligan must be more productive for WVU to answerHibbert's charge.

The Mountaineers are anything if not predictable--predictably patient, predictably well coached, and eager to punish its opponents for mistakes. While not themost star-studded team Bob Huggins has coached over his career, it is one that has proven adept at forcing opponents into trouble, especially in Morgantown,where the Blue and Gold have been unstopped to date. A national TV audience against a top 10 team is the kind of game that can make the Coliseum a very toughplace to compete.

After three games where they were beaten up and down the boards, Georgetown should fare better with a smaller team that is not a rebounding-heavy unit. Man forman, the teams look fairly even, excepting the center position. WVU has won only one game by single digits, and has enjoyed big wins all season, at least untilits narrow escape over Marshall on Wednesday. Saturday's game figures to be a close one if the Mountaineers are to contend.

Here's a look at some potential matchups:

Jonathan Wallace vs. Darris Nichols. Nichols was held in check in last season's game, while Wallace was held to 1-5 three point shooting. Look for eachplayer to test the outside shot early.

Jessie Sapp vs. Alex Ruoff. Sapp gives up height to Ruoff, but not speed. Sapp's second halves have proven better than his firsts, and Ruoff needs to beheld in check early in this one.

Austin Freeman vs. John Flowers. Flowers will see a lot less time than Alexander, who figures to get points against the smaller Freeman. Alexander scored 10points in last season's game and should be counted on for at least that Saturday. Freeman will need to work harder off the ball to get open past Alexanderin the midcourt.

DaJuan Summers vs.DeSean Butler . Summers has struggled of late and Butler is the kind of player that can exploit this. Summers needs a repeat of his 17 point,11 rebound effort against Notre Dame, but must keep Butler off the second shot.

Roy Hibbert vs. Jonathan Smalligan. Kevin Pittsnogle is not walking through that door, but Hibbert still must elevate his intensity and get the ball--Hibberthas nine of more attempts in three of the last five games, all wins.

GU bench vs. WVU bench. West Virginia goes six or seven deep, but it sinks or swims on their starters. Tyler Crawford appears to have joined theRivers-Macklin-Ewing rotation and can be expected to turn in another good effort Saturday.

Keys to the game:
1. Free throws. West Virginia averages 15 points a game just at the free throw line. Even though WVU turned in a wretched free throw effort against Marshall,consider it an aberration. For Georgetown to get the win, they must keep WVU off the line.
2. Three point defense.. Both teams are dangerous when the three point shooting heats up. With guard play on defense a given, look to Freeman, Summers, andeven Ewing to test the outside waters, while the Mountaineers forwards have not been as proficient to date.
3. Roy Hibbert. An aggressive, foul-free game pays big dividends for Georgetown.

For West Virginia to win, steals and threes power West Virginia to a lead it does not release. Georgetown, however, poses particular threats to a small WVUfront line that, if properly balanced by rebounding strength and patient passing, allows Georgetown a solid opportunity to do what few Big East teams have donethis season--win at a hostile road environment. It's one thing to win at an empty Sun Dome or Madison Square Garden, but a sold out Coliseum is an uphilltask. It's something a team needs to do to stay at the top.

this is pathetic. there is no heart in this team. jt3 needs to instill some passion into these guys....oh and@@!@ is up with wallace? i feel like hes trying toimpress nba scouts by taking shots that arent really his. any word on when wright gets back?

Wright is done for the year most likely

Hopefully Dajuan is ok

Jessie Sapp is now our go to guy, and I trust him.

And John was awful again, I don't know whats up with him

Pat and Jessie won this one

"In that instance you leave it up to the refs to make the call and this time fortunately it came out our way," Ewing said.

Huggins had a different opinion when asked whether Ewing committed goaltending.

"I'm not allowed to make a comment," Huggins said. "I think it's pretty obvious. "

you have to be proud when you're players have more class than opposing coaches

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Hopefully Dajuan is ok

dajuan is a pansy, im losing respect for this guy. he needs to learn that he cant live behind the 3pt line. he needs to get in the paint and get bumpedaround. its sad to say but i dont think we'll make it past round of 32 this year paying like this.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Hopefully Dajuan is ok

dajuan is a pansy, im losing respect for this guy. he needs to learn that he cant live behind the 3pt line. he needs to get in the paint and get bumped around. its sad to say but i dont think we'll make it past round of 32 this year paying like this.

wallace needs to get his act together fast....what a change from last year. and someone call in tom izzo and have him teach us how to rebound. i rememberseeing an espn bit on how he taught his spartan team to own the glass a couple years back.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Hopefully Dajuan is ok

dajuan is a pansy, im losing respect for this guy. he needs to learn that he cant live behind the 3pt line. he needs to get in the paint and get bumped around. its sad to say but i dont think we'll make it past round of 32 this year paying like this.

wallace needs to get his act together fast....what a change from last year. and someone call in tom izzo and have him teach us how to rebound. i remember seeing an espn bit on how he taught his spartan team to own the glass a couple years back.

deadsetace is right on, the pats do suck

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Hopefully Dajuan is ok

wallace needs to get his act together fast....what a change from last year. and someone call in tom izzo and have him teach us how to rebound. i remember seeing an espn bit on how he taught his spartan team to own the glass a couple years back.

deadsetace is right on, the pats do suck

thanks for giving us moss, practically for free

We've only lost twice...on the road. No we aren't playing real well but we're winning.

Positives are Rivers and Macklin improving and what Jessie Sapp has become late in games.

Dajuan does need to step it up though and the rebounding
sick.gif

yeah rebounding and free throws...fix it quick

someone send wallace a fake letter from gtown law saying that unless he fixes his game, he's rejected

We really have to start playing better, theres a tough stretch ahead with Villanova, Marquette, and I see Louisville possibly upsetting us if Wallacedoesn't get his act together because the Cardinals have good guard play and if the team doesn't rebound better because Caracter can kill us inside. Wesurvived these last two games because the team stayed poised when it mattered, but honestly G-Town has too much talent to be winning games in overtime and atthe last second....

damn chris out the whole season? Does anyone know how mnay games exactly u can play before taking a medical redshirt? I dont think he's played that many

anyways Gtown is winning, sloppy basketball but there gettin the W. Its around now we see how teams are built for march. I would rather them grind out Winsthen just blow teams out, because when its time to go to the big dance competition will be tougher and knowing how to get the W is most important

He's gone over 30% of the scheduled games, and that's the rule.

I agree these close games will have us ready. I'd take our team in a game that comes down to the last possession against anyone

And outside of Macklin the FT's have started to come around.

Back
Top Bottom