GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD- Recap

damn cant believe no one is posting here!!! that was a close one...but ROY for 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROY
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

"I definitely expect us, as a team, to be ready to get revenge," Young said. "When I go home (people say) Georgetown is a better team than us. Idon't have that in my mind. I just feel like we are better until they prove otherwise."

laugh.gif

REBOUND tonight

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Here's a look at some potential matchups:[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Jonathan Wallace vs. Ronald Ramon. Ramon was not afactor in games last year versus the Hoyas, owing to some poor three point shooting. Ramon is more likely to be the offensive driver than its scorer, soWallace needs to stay tight on defense. Offensively, Wallace should be able to rediscover his outside shot, but opposing guards have struggled againstRamon's defense in conference play.
Jessie Sapp vs. Keith Benjamin. Benjamin is on a roll in Big East play, and it's up to Sapp to keep him off the dribbledrive. However, Benjamin is prone to turnovers and Sapp may be able to force his hand.
Austin Freeman vs. Gilbert Brown. Freeman is due for a big game, and Brown provides the opponent which could lead to it.Seton Hall did a good job of negating Brown on the offensive end, and Freeman should be able to take advantage offensively as well.
DaJuan Summers vs.Sam Young . Clearly, the matchup of the game. Young started the Feb. 24, 2007 game at Verizon Center with11 points and 8 rebounds against Jeff Green. Keeping Young off the ball--and off the line--will prove the difference of the game.
Roy Hibbert vs. DeJuan Blair. With all the momentum Hibbert has coming into the game, defense, not offense, is a point ofemphasis here. Blair averages nearly 13 rebounds a game in conference play and rebounds are essential for Pitt to control the game.
GU bench vs. UConn bench. With its injuries, the Pitt bench is depleted, with Tyrell Biggs being the chief man off the bench.Georgetown's bench offers the Hoya starters the rest time that Pitt realistically can't afford in this game.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Keys to the game follow that learned in the UConn game, because although UConn was ataller and quicker team, the same issues apply against a team like Pittsburgh:
1. Tempo. Georgetown wins at its pace, and can pose problems to Pitt by keeping the game at a 60-65 point range.
2. Rebound Margin. Pitt is another team with a significant rebound advantage entering the game, including an average of 15 offensive reboundsa game over its first three Big East games. Pitt takes, in average, six fewer shots than its opponents, so if Georgetown can cut off the offensive boards as itdid to Connecticut, Pitt has a lot less to work with.
3. Three Pointers. Three pointers saved the Hoyas late against Connecticut, but Pitt has held opponents to 27% from that range. Georgetown hasadvantages inside, but must be careful how and when to go deep.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]For Pitt to win, Young and Benjamin go to work, Blair keeps Hibbert off edge, andGeorgetown gets caught in a run and shoot response. Georgetown's advantages are more broad based--like the tortoise and the hare, a steady Georgetownoperation can withstand the start and stop Panthers. Pitt is playing on the margin, a margin it cannot maintain all year given the injuries. The test forGeorgetown is whether they can expose Young and in doing so, open holes in the entire game plan.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Pitt fans saw how Aaron Gray's cold shooting sent the team off track in the 2007Big East final. Young must stay hot for Pitt to stay on course.[/font]

Man that game on Sat was wild with Hibb knockin it down from outside. Hopefully we don't need him to do that again tonight

Great game this past Saturday. I thought UConn was gonna pull it off. A great basketball game, period.

Monday is no easier for the Hoyas!

keep taking those quick threes guys....we're bound to sink one by halftime

idiots

LETS GO PITT!! This would be an even better matchup if not for our injuries but I will definitely take a win @ the Pete tonight!

Originally Posted by allen3xis

"I definitely expect us, as a team, to be ready to get revenge," Young said. "When I go home (people say) Georgetown is a better team than us. I don't have that in my mind. I just feel like we are better until they prove otherwise."

I like Young's attitude but you really can't talk !!** when we got smacked by GTOWN in the Big East Tourney Final. Plus we are not at fullstrength. You have to be confident but you cant give the Hoyas extra motivation on the road.

shades of @ Nova last season when Sapp hit the half court shot

We're fine

Dajuan and John were killin us that half

Back
Top Bottom